Booking excursions at port?

garda

Hello Everyone! We will be going to Livorno, Naples and Rome in September. Are there tour operators at the ports to book excursions? I don't want to pre-book excursions as we have been to these locations before and would like to visit Specific areas, but it all depends on the weather! We had booked a fantastic excursion on the Amalfi Coast last time around and the weather was sooo bad that I got sick and lasted for a month[emoji855]! I would really like to visit Siena, Positano and still don't know about Rome! Any suggestions on Rome (off the beaten path) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone! We will be going to Livorno, Naples and Rome in September. Are there tour operators at the ports to book excursions? I don't want to pre-book excursions as we have been to these locations before and would like to visit Specific areas, but it all depends on the weather! We had booked a fantastic excursion on the Amalfi Coast last time around and the weather was sooo bad that I got sick and lasted for a month[emoji855]! I would really like to visit Siena, Positano and still don't know about Rome! Any suggestions on Rome (off the beaten path) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there are not tour operators at the port wherein you can book a guided tour on the spot - you do need to pre-book. There will be taxi availability at most ports & you can hire a taxi for the day - no tour guides providing excursions though.

Edited by dogs4fun

We would simply echo the prior post. If you want a private tour, just about anywhere in Western Europe, it is very wise to book in advance. There are usually some taxis, and you can certainly hire them for the entire day (for several hundred Euros) but many of the drivers do not speak a lot of English...and they are simply taxi drivers, not professional tour guides.

You might also want to consider that in those 3 ports there are excellent public transit options (although getting to the train station in Livorno can be a hassle). Just as an example, in Civitavecchia you can buy a BIRG ticket which includes round trip regional train service to Rome (about an hour each way) plus all days unlimited use of Rome's Metro (subway) and bus system. The cost of the BIRG ticket is only 12€ or about $14 per person. Or in Naples, if you want to go to Capri you can simply walk over to the ferry terminal (when you take a tour they walk you over to the same place) and buy a ticket on a hydrofoil (less than 40€ round trip).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner