Suggestions on what to do!?

qbanrican84

We will be stopping in Cannes France for a day while on our cruise. The Cannes Film Festival will be in town, but I heard you can't really get anywhere near there w/o some kind of pass, so there goes our chances of catching a celebrity :rolleyes:

So we're thinking maybe go to Nice, or Villefranche? I'm not familiar with France at all, so I'll take any tips. What's there to see or do in this area?

We will be stopping in Cannes France for a day while on our cruise. The Cannes Film Festival will be in town, but I heard you can't really get anywhere near there w/o some kind of pass, so there goes our chances of catching a celebrity :rolleyes:

So we're thinking maybe go to Nice, or Villefranche? I'm not familiar with France at all, so I'll take any tips. What's there to see or do in this area?

We just got off the EPIC yesterday, with Cannes as one of the ports.

All I can suggest is to get a tour that goes to Nice, Monaco, or Monte Carlo, as there is nothing much to see or do in Cannes anyway.

Another option is a short ferry ride to St. Tropez or one of the other offshore islands for some sun time.

The Cannes Tourist Office has many brochures and information of things to do....BUT it is right next door to the Film Ferstival site and you may not be able to get near it!

There are also some other smaller cities nearby that private tour companies can lead you to.

If I were you, I'd hang around and do some star sighting!

We thought it was a lame stop and were back on the ship in a couple hours - which was OK for us after 3 intense days of touring in Italy!

Others, I'm sure, will disagree....

You could catch the train and go to Nice. It has a nice old town and the flower market. If you have time, on the way back you could stop in Antibes, which is close to Cannes. Or, you could do one of the two towns mentioned above and then check out the happenings going on in Cannes for the festival.

If you get a copy of Rick Steves Med port guide, it will give you an idea of all your options in this area and how to get there using public transportation.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a land trip in the South of France. Cannes didn't do much for me...lots of shops and yachts, blah, blah, blah. We stayed in Nice for 4 days...it's big...if you go there you should have an idea of where you want to go and what you want to do. We also went to Antibes and I really liked it...very quaint...lots of winding streets/alleys...reminded me a bit of Venice in that regard.

If you're a beach person, the beaches in Nice are rock...no sand. It is a little uncomfortable to lie on...they have private beaches that rent chairs but usually for a half day at a time. Cannes has sand beaches but I would suspect that it might be a little crowded during the film festival. Antibes has great sand beaches too...a little more laid back than Cannes.

Hi. We're on your cruise. I think we booked in a tour- (this cruise is 1 of two at the END of four weeks in Europe). I'll have to look at my notes but I'm pretty sure a tour is the way to go.

Either way we were told to do Eze- (you can only do it on foot?!)

If we haven't booked a tour- we could get a taxi around together maybe & take in some sights? I'm totes up for bumping in to a celeb! Ha

Thanks everyone!!

Hi

While I was there last year we did this in that next of the woods. We didn't doing anything in Cannes other than walk to the train station to go to Nice. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]gO4Luc3h41k[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]OXW5R66Td2o[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]3yP8aGVHyFY[/YOUTUBE]

We have been to Cannes (briefly but only on quick bus tour), Grasse but only Fragonard Perfume Factory, Nice 3x, Eze, St. Paul de Vence, Monte Carlo, and Villefranche. We love Nice and it is easy to get there by train. In Nice you will have the Chagall & Matisse Museums, a small Roman ruins site near the Matisse Museum, the lovely Massena Square area for walking around and a good glass of wine, the lovely Promenade des Anglais along the water, Monastery Gardens, flower market, and many places to eat and shop.

Eze and St. Paul de Vence are gorgeous and charming, but you may need private transportation/tour to get to them and will need to explore on foot. Both can only be done by walking and climbing unless you stay in the lower villages. Eze is more of a challenge as the steps are narrow and somewhat steep. St. Paul is easier to navigate, few steps but still uphill/downhill on cobblestone. If you go to St. Paul de Vence or Nice, consider trying the socca, which is a French Riviera version of a crepe made with chick peas and fried. It is hard to find anywhere but on the French Riviera and is easier to find in Nice although we found it at the market when you enter St. Paul de Vence.

When we were on a tour bus, we passed through Cannes and past the Film Festival Center. The area is upscale with restaurants and hotels without the typical charm of most French towns. We will be in Cannes two days during the Film Festival next year. We have considered spending one day in Cannes to see the old town area and Film Festival Center (outside only). How close are old town and the Film Festival Center to the ship? And the train station? Is there anything worth seeing in Cannes' old town? Is it at all charming? We do like walking around charming or picturesque areas and enjoying a light meal of crepes, socca (only found in Nice & some nearby towns), seafood, or cheese, and wine.

For the other day, we thought about going to Antibes or St. Tropez, as we have not been there. How far is the ferry from where the ship docks? And the train station? How long by ferry to St. Tropez? Train ride from Cannes to Antibes should be short, no more than 1/2 hour, right? If we want to find a nice place to go for a light meal and wine and to walk around for a couple hours, would you recommend Antibes or St. Tropez? Could we do both in one day relying on public transportation (train & ferry)?

Our other option would be to return to Nice by train as we really enjoy Nice and know the area.

TIA,

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
How long is ferry to St. Tropez?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. We're on your cruise. I think we booked in a tour- (this cruise is 1 of two at the END of four weeks in Europe). I'll have to look at my notes but I'm pretty sure a tour is the way to go.

Either way we were told to do Eze- (you can only do it on foot?!)

If we haven't booked a tour- we could get a taxi around together maybe & take in some sights? I'm totes up for bumping in to a celeb! Ha

Definitely! :) Sounds good...do you have a FB? I'm on there more, we could keep in touch ;)

Was in port at Monaco this summer for my 3rd time and went to Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild in Cap Ferrat just outside of Villefranche. Loved it! Here's a thread with more about it, and other suggestions on what to do in the area: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093092&highlight=ephrussi

I'm a fan of Monte Carlo, too, as well as Eze! Would love to spend more time in Villefranche, Cap Ferrat and Beaulieu. You really have a lot of options to make your day special and suit your own tastes. I've found the tourism boards/bureaus in the area have good websites and will send info in the mail with suggestions, maps, brochures, etc., if contacted in advance.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by syesmar

• 3 weeks later...

If I were you I would make straight for the train station and follow the previous poster's suggestion of a day in Antibes, a far more friendly town than Cannes. Here's there's lots to do - enjoy the bustling town center, then pick from several options - a cultural visit to the Picasso museum, or a relaxing visit to the Gravette beach, or a watersports visit to the Juan les Pins beach, or a envious wander around the mega-yachts at Port Vauban, or a energizing walk along the Cap d'Antibes coastal path. The train between Cannes and Antibes is very scenic, cheap, and regular.

Definitely! :) Sounds good...do you have a FB? I'm on there more, we could keep in touch ;)

Sure do.

Hailey Havercroft

We do have a tour booked for this day with Harry & Sue.

I still think a tour is the way to go. We couldn't NOT go to look around. :-)