A couple of specific questions, Arubalisa or someone, please help if you don't mind!

cruizinisthebest

Thanks in advance!

I have been researching and researching Aruba, unfortunately, the more I read, the more I want to do! We've narrowed it down to a few things, so here are my questions specifically:

1. Carnival offers an excursion called the Beach Escape by Boat with lunch. It's $80 for adults, $70. Here's the description:

Cruise along the West Coast of Aruba before arriving at Palm Beach where you can relax in a complimentary lounge chair and enjoy their facilities.

Excursion Description

Cruise along the West Coast of Aruba, and experience a narrated cruise. Learn about Aruba's participation in WWII, famous ship wrecks and culture. During your stay at the Palm Beach, enjoy the facilities at Pelican Pier; the famous Seafood Restaurant, the Pelican Nest; and the Captain Morgan Bar. Relax in one of our complimentary lounge chairs, while being served by our friendly crew. Feel the soft sand on your feet and participate in one of the many water sport activities available at Palm Beach, before boarding a Caribbean open air bus back to the Cruise ship terminal.

This seems kind of pricey to me but something we would like to do. Does anyone know of an independent tour that offers something similar that won't cost us $380?! There's 5 of us - three adults, 2 kids.

I know the beaches in Aruba are free, but the boatride and open bar with lunch seems really nice.

Second question, plan B, do you think it's feasible to spend 2, 3 hours at Reflextions Beach and then make the 5:30pm Sunset sail with Jolly Pirates?

We are docked from 1pm-9pm. Sailing in August.

That's it. PLEASE HELP.

You know, you can hop in a cab and go to Palm Beach...no "narrative", but a guidebook will tell you all about Aruba...for a lot less money! And, I believe you can eat and drink for less than $400, too, on your own!!

You know, you can hop in a cab and go to Palm Beach...no "narrative", but a guidebook will tell you all about Aruba...for a lot less money! And, I believe you can eat and drink for less than $400, too, on your own!!

With all due respect, I prefaced my post stating several things so I could avoid the "get a guidebook" advice.

#1 I said I had done alot if research. #2, I said these are the things we've decided we want to do. I also stated I knew the beaches were free but that the other things included in the excursion I mentiobed sounds nice. I also specifically asked if anyone had suggestions SPECIFICALLY that would be less money. I then also threw in a plan B that is cheaper - hence a plan B - and asked if that plan would be feasible.

I need answers based on experience. Not smart Alek remarks. I would like to do more than just go on a narrated tour or just go to a beach. I thought sailing and sight seeing might be something nice to do. Especially with kids.

If anyone can offer helpful feedback regarding my questions, I would really appreciate it. Again, TIA.

You could spend a couple hours at Reflextions if you would like, but since you are thinking about Jolly Pirates, I would just take a taxi to Palm Beach and hang out there for the day. Jolly Pirates leaves from Palm Beach, so you would already be there. You could spend the afternoon at Moomba or by the Radison. Both rent chairs and have food, drink, and watersports close by.

You could spend a couple hours at Reflextions if you would like, but since you are thinking about Jolly Pirates, I would just take a taxi to Palm Beach and hang out there for the day. Jolly Pirates leaves from Palm Beach, so you would already be there. You could spend the afternoon at Moomba or by the Radison. Both rent chairs and have food, drink, and watersports close by.

Thanks! See I didn't know that. I only thought of Reflextions, because it's close to the cruise terminal so I've heard. But this would work. And then we could do everything we want and not spend a fortune or rush to make the tour. Thank you Hatteras!

Sorry..wasn't trying to be a "smart Alek"....I thought you were asking for something cheaper than the excursion....My bad!

No problem. My apologies for the name calling.

I see you often direct people to read a guidebook. I've done that and actually made a project out of researching these ports with my kids. It helps pass the time and makes planning fun. However not every question can be answered from a guidebook. Sometimes you need finite advice from people that have been to port before.

You're right...but you'd be surprised how many people go somewhere "blind"...and never think of researching! Enjoy Aruba...it's different from the other Caribbean countries!

Thank you! We are excited. Never been that far South before. I'll post my experience and pics when we get back!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Thank you! We are excited. Never been that far South before. I'll post my experience and pics when we get back!

As mentioned, go to Moomba's and hangout the whole afternoon there. The 5:30pm Jolly Pirates sunset cruise (it doesn't sail every evening) gets back to shore around 7:30/7:45pm. Moomba's can call you a cab or go to the Holiday Inn or Marriott Surf Club and they have cabs lined up. However, you won't get back to town until slightly after 8pm. Also be aware taxi drivers will not let you in their cab with a wet bathing suit. In fact if they see a bathing suit, they will assume it's wet and still won't let you in their cab. Thus, change before going back.

Too much running around going from Reflections south of town up to Palm Beach.

Thank you Carnivalman. Is there a place for us to change before we head for Jolly Pirates? I doubt any of us will do the rope swing.

Great. So we should be back onboard in plenty of time. Thanks so much for the information!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Also be aware taxi drivers will not let you in their cab with a wet bathing suit. In fact if they see a bathing suit, they will assume it's wet and still won't let you in their cab. Thus, change before going back.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. We will be visiting Aruba for the first time later this year.

So for guys, a swimsuit would typically be their shorts as well. So every guy has the potential to be denied a taxi if being picked up at a beach or beach resort?

So are there places to change at the public beaches?

Thank you Carnivalman. Is there a place for us to change before we head for Jolly Pirates? I doubt any of us will do the rope swing.

Great. So we should be back onboard in plenty of time. Thanks so much for the information!

I went on the Black Pearl in Feb. It was awesome, but Jolly Pirates is great too. I'm sure that your family will enjoy it also. Both are located in the same area. There is a bathroom behind Moombas that we changed in. No one stopped or questioned us about it. Then we walked up the road and hung out on Palm Beach for several hours before catching a cab back to our condo.

With all due respect, I prefaced my post stating several things so I could avoid the "get a guidebook" advice.

#1 I said I had done alot if research. #2, I said these are the things we've decided we want to do. I also stated I knew the beaches were free but that the other things included in the excursion I mentiobed sounds nice. I also specifically asked if anyone had suggestions SPECIFICALLY that would be less money. I then also threw in a plan B that is cheaper - hence a plan B - and asked if that plan would be feasible.

I need answers based on experience. Not smart Alek remarks. I would like to do more than just go on a narrated tour or just go to a beach. I thought sailing and sight seeing might be something nice to do. Especially with kids.

If anyone can offer helpful feedback regarding my questions, I would really appreciate it. Again, TIA.

Wow. Just wow.

We didn't change our suits, but we obviously were not wet, either! No wet spots on our shorts or tees....no problems with a cab!

Cool. Thanks CB.

Ok. I'll stay with Jolly Pirates!

They do get kids on Black Pearl, but your kids will probably prefer Jolly Pirates.

Cool. Thanks CB.

Ok. I'll stay with Jolly Pirates!

Just back from my cruise. ;)

You got the right info from cb at sea and Hatteras51 :)

Go and enjoy and tell us all about it when you return. :)