Renting a scooter

tcher0619

Our family is traveling on the Summit out of SJ. My husband initially rented a scooter via phone back in Nov. 11 for our April 12 cruise. Two weeks ago he received a call saying they could not find one for him. It was suggested that we try to contact a company on the island. We have not been able to find one. Does anyone know of a company who rents in or near San Juan?

Allatrop

I would suggest that you contact Celebrity and be a bit aggressive. Celebrity does not rent the scooters, however they do have some on board a couple ships that are for rent. I'm having memory problems; between the Mercury, Century and Summit, two of the ships did have available scooters that someone at the customer service on board could rent to them for one of the travel suppliers. Having noticed the idle scooters a number of times, we did make inquires about them.

Maybe someone else can remember exactly which ships had them.

Betty

Did you try both "Special Needs at Sea" and "Care Vacations"? The other choice if neither of those work is to rent from home and take the scooter with you.

Thanks Betty and Katisdale. We initially called both suggested suppliers to no avail. I will try Captains Club today and beg. This is the first time we are all in aft cabins which means a longer walk to the elevators. Also, getting off the ship would be impossible, so it will not be the same with a scooter. I will get back with my results. Keep your fingers crossed.

Have you considered renting one locally and taking it on the plane with you ? A little more troublesome but at least you'd have it. Would probably even be cheaper considering the largest expense of the rental cost is the delivery and port access charges.

In addition to the above post, have you considered buying a travel scooter locally and taking it with you?

We bought one online from spinlife dot com for around $900 and now have it for every cruise, as well as trips to the local mall, etc. Have to say we have never flown with it, but it appears that people do, and they gate-check them the same as people do who travel with baby strollers, etc.

Just a thought.

I would suggest that you contact Celebrity and be a bit aggressive. Celebrity does not rent the scooters, however they do have some on board a couple ships that are for rent. I'm having memory problems; between the Mercury, Century and Summit, two of the ships did have available scooters that someone at the customer service on board could rent to them for one of the travel suppliers. Having noticed the idle scooters a number of times, we did make inquires about them.

Maybe someone else can remember exactly which ships had them.

Betty

I've been on more than 30 Celebrity cruises and never, ever have seen a scooter for rent on their ships. Perhaps the idle scooters DID actually belong to passengers?

This is from Celebrity's website:

Celebrity Cruises does not provide wheelchairs or scooters for their guests. For wheelchair rentals, scooter rentals or other special needs equipment rentals, passengers must rent their own from independent agencies. Call Celebrity Cruise Line for questions concerning special needs accessibility.

Before purchasing our scooters we rented from local Hospital Medical Suppy-so much cheaper than renting thru the tqwo companies mentioned. When it came time to urchase we again delt with Suppy for Hospital and got a real good price one was one of ones we had rented the month before and they give us back the rental fee. We find having scooters in airports so much help to me.

Have traveled withthose using travel scoots and think they are a good bargin.

Have traveled withthose using travel scoots and think they are a good bargin.

Thanks everyone for your responses. This is our 4th cruise that we rented a scooter. I called one place suggested by Celebrity and was told that San Juan does not have scooters for my husband's size. We left from Southampton last October and had no problem, so this was a surprise. I will do more shopping tomorrow, concentrating on local places. The Travel Scoot is light and easy to travel with. I will see if I can find one locally. If we take 3 cruises, it will pay for itself.

We are 38 days away from our cruise-can't wait.

Thanks everyone.

. I will do more shopping tomorrow, concentrating on local places. The Travel Scoot is light and easy to travel with. I will see if I can find one locally. If we take 3 cruises, it will pay for itself.

We are 38 days away from our cruise-can't wait.

Thanks everyone.

Have yet to find a local retailer or medical supply company that sells the travelscoot . It appears that it can only be purchased or rented on line . Here is the manifactures website and the rental company website.

http://www.travelscoot.com/

http://www.scootanywhere.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Archived