Carnival Magic mechanical issues

jonbgd

We have been to the port twice today and when we left at 845pm the Magic was still there. Now that we have gotten back to the hotel it has just left.

Carnival has told the port authority a few things over the past few hours.

THey first blamed it on late fuel barge than they had divers in the water.

Don't know the full story but there is some issues with the Magic it has been leaving later each week for the past few weeks per local employees;)

We have been to the port twice today and when we left at 845pm the Magic was still there. Now that we have gotten back to the hotel it has just left.

Carnival has told the port authority a few things over the past few hours.

THey first blamed it on late fuel barge than they had divers in the water.

Don't know the full story but there is some issues with the Magic it has been leaving later each week for the past few weeks per local employees;)

Thruster problems.

Thruster problems.

My guess as well, if not a combination of that and the fuel barge which was definitely late. On our cruise 18months ago she underwent "testing" right after we left Key West. You could watch the water churn at different times near the thrusters... And this was after it was supposedly fixed following the TA... I don't recall any issues on our more recent cruises however...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We just got off her today. We stayed in Freeport until 11:30 Wednesday night because of thruster problems. Apparently they "fixed it enough to make it" back to Galveston but they needed to do more work to it today. We left last Sunday very late because of computer issues involving check in. Thank GOD for FTTF because we were on the ship 4 hours before some. I felt bad for those that had to wait :( All in all a great cruise though! Love LOVE the Magic!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Im sailing on the Magic next Sunday. I have been getting up every week to watch her come in and then sail away. I was a little late this morning, and she was a little early. I got up just as she was docking with a tug by her side. Then a few mins later the tug came back with this long barge type thing and pulled it upside her. And there she has set ever since!

Sure hope they get this figured out soon. Ive sailed Magic twice, and both times we were 2 hours out and had to come all the way back to Galveston for a medical emergency! Im hoping that the 3rd time will be the charm, and its a good cruise! Dot

It could be an electrical problem. Maybe the generator couldn't reach the 1.21 gigawatts.

I just off the magic yesterday.... Yes it was thrusters problems in freeport they were fixing the thrusters we saw them fixing it.... That is the reason the magic stayed in freeport till 11:30 pm to fix them enough to get back to Galveston....

We were on the Magic almost two years ago when it came from Barcelona to Galveston. Our last port, Grand Turk, was skipped because of thruster problems and they instead went to the Bahamas spending the night and entire next day there working on the problem. We would have never known about the problem as far as we could tell. Cannot remember if they indicated the problem was solved or if they were just going on to Galveston.

I just off the magic yesterday.... Yes it was thrusters problems in freeport they were fixing the thrusters we saw them fixing it.... That is the reason the magic stayed in freeport till 11:30 pm to fix them enough to get back to Galveston....

I think the ship could have made it back to Galveston just fine. Tugs can be used to get a ship in and out of ports and thrusters aren't needed for cruising. But as long as in Freeport, might as well get them fixed.

I think the ship could have made it back to Galveston just fine. Tugs can be used to get a ship in and out of ports and thrusters aren't needed for cruising. But as long as in Freeport, might as well get them fixed.

true Tugs brought in the Triumph

So now that im back from MD Anderson and my GF's semi annual tests.:(

For the supporters thanks and for those that arnt :rolleyes:

This is something I witnessed first hand. Isnt this is what CC is for.

For us to share things with others that enjoy cruising.

Also while I may have a higher post count than others and a lot less than some Im not here to stir the pot or be a cheerleader of Carnival

We drove down for the day to do some recon on the best cove balcony as we are looking into booking the Magic or Breeze next year.

It was mostly an excuse to get the GF's mind off of her CA testing but I didn't tell her that:o

We had a cocktail and appy at our favorite restaurant in Galveston. Olympia grill pier 21. The scallops on the half shell were awesome.

By 530p most of the people waiting for sailaway had left. We asked the waitress what time the Magic has been leaving she said 6-7ish. SO we decided to stay till 6.

Still no exhaust from the funnel so we decided to go check into out hotel, figure out what place we wanted to try on the seawall and watch the Magic on webcam from our hotel.

While deciding the GF noticed exhaust coming out of the funnels on the webcam.

SO she suggested we head back and watch the Magic leave. Sound good

We get there around 815pm and it still there with the fuel barge next to it

What the heck???

So we walked up and took a couple photos of the aft but it didn't look like it was moving anytime soon.

While we were there one of the Port authority officers that I have talked with before was on the beat and we talked for about 15 minutes. That is when I found out about what was going on with the ship. Also they were not sure what time the Magic would be leaving.

We left and went to dinner at Salsas, It was good and got back to the hotel. when we got back to the hotel turned on the webcam and posted to CC

SO to all that have a cruise booked on her hopefully this will be fixed and cause no issues for future cruises

Archived