Can I Learn to Snorkel in Galveston?

eltigre

I will be in Galveston for 5 days before heading out on a cruise to Coz .

The 30-45 minute classroom lessons & then shallow dives they offer in Coz. & I think on the ship also:confused: can I do such a thing in Galveston?

el tigre

• 1 month later...

I think it would be very difficult to learn to snorkle in galveston. Because of were we are located in on the coast, are water has very poor visability. Most days you can stand in thigh deep water and not see your toes. I learned to snorkle in cozumel, it is very easy to learn

• 1 month later...

You can learn to snorkel in a swimming pool prior to your trip. Most dive shops offer snorkeling classes as well as "discover scuba" introductions. If there isn't a local dive shop near you that offers it, I'm sure you can find one in Galveston that does.

... I'm sure you can find one in Galveston that does.

Per my Galveston/Texas City Yellow Pages, no dive shops on Galveston Island. Same with http://www.anywho.com/ and http://www.yellowbook.com/.

That's sensible since the water around the island is not conducive as mentioned above. The chocolate milk reference is perfect!

Kat110105_emYA11_prv.gif

Never would have guessed Galveston doesn't have a dive shop. Even Amarillo, Texas has dive shops. And there's no water worth diving within 500 miles of Amarillo.

I know there are several dive shops along the I-45 corridor between Houston and Galveston. I've driven past them many times. I could recommend a good one, but it's on the north side of Houston in Humble. Sorry I couldn't help more.

When I learned to snorkle, I went to my local pool and practiced all day.. It worked.. I went during the day when the pool wasn't busy. It took me a while to get over the uncomfortable feeling of shoving my face in the water..LOL

lol I didnt know you needed to learn how to snorkel. I thought you just put the mask on and floated around watching the fish. I cant do the flippers, I do the breast stroke and they dont work unless you flutter kick.

I dont think there is much to learn to snorkel. I wear tennis shoes, so I dont step on coral with my bare feet, ouch.

I didnt know you needed to learn how to snorkel. I thought you just put the mask on and floated around watching the fish. I cant do the flippers, I do the breast stroke and they dont work unless you flutter kick.

I dont think there is much to learn to snorkel. I wear tennis shoes, so I dont step on coral with my bare feet, ouch.

You wear tennis shoes instead of fins and snorkel doing the breast stroke? And you don't think you need to learn how to snorkel?

You don't know what you're missing. Perhaps you should consider taking some snorkel instruction at a local dive shop or on your next trip. I think you would enjoy snorkeling more if you did.

Archived