Hotel price more for 12/3/15?

floralscent

Does anyone know why hotels in Sydney are more expensive the evening of Thursday, 12/3/15 than weeks before and after? I have been searching a popular website that starts with a "T" for months now and one night, the evening of December 3rd, is a good deal more than that same night weeks before and after. I have searched for events happening around that time and am coming up with nothing. I figured if there was a big event in the area at that time hotel cost would be more but I can't seem to find anything big going on. Am I missing something? Is there a reason why hotel costs more for that night?

Also for those that have been to Sydney before- we are sailing out of Circular Quay (Celebrity Solstice)...is it better to stay near Circular Quay or more in the middle of Sydney to be able to enjoy Sydney on foot the day prior to departure?

Thank you!

Does anyone know why hotels in Sydney are more expensive the evening of Thursday, 12/3/15 than weeks before and after? I have been searching a popular website that starts with a "T" for months now and one night, the evening of December 3rd, is a good deal more than that same night weeks before and after. I have searched for events happening around that time and am coming up with nothing. I figured if there was a big event in the area at that time hotel cost would be more but I can't seem to find anything big going on. Am I missing something? Is there a reason why hotel costs more for that night?

Also for those that have been to Sydney before- we are sailing out of Circular Quay (Celebrity Solstice)...is it better to stay near Circular Quay or more in the middle of Sydney to be able to enjoy Sydney on foot the day prior to departure?

Thank you!

I think summer holidays for the schools are Dec and Jan . Their seasons are reversed to ours.

http://www.sydney.com.au/school-terms-nsw-australia.htm

Edited by Kamloops50

Circular Quay is THE place to stay in Sydney. That's where you'll find The Rocks, the ferries to Manly and Taronga Zoo, and the Opera House. You can easily walk to the city center or even Darling Harbour from Circular Quay.

If you got to Wotif.com.au, you can find many 3-and 4-star hotels in Circular Quay (including my favorite, the Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour) for under $200 for the night of December 3rd. That's certainly not a bad price for that location in Sydney during the high season.

The ship docks right in the middle of the city, you will literally have the Harbour bridge right behind the ship and the opera house next to it. So you don't need to stay right near the ship as any accommodation in the city will be easy enough to get to the ship when you board. If you want to walk from hotel to ship then look for places in The Rocks area.

As for hotel prices, I've noticed that hoteliers have cottoned on to the fact that lots of people book hotels the night before a cruise starts, so if this is the night before the cruise leaves, it may be the reason for the price hike. There doesn't seem to be a major event on that otherwise explains it.

As for hotel prices, I've noticed that hoteliers have cottoned on to the fact that lots of people book hotels the night before a cruise starts, so if this is the night before the cruise leaves, it may be the reason for the price hike. There doesn't seem to be a major event on that otherwise explains it.

I think you might be right, as I couldn't see any major event on either. The last time I was in Sydney when a big ship was at the OPT, I couldn't believe how many tourists (with cameras) were walking around Circular Quay/Opera House area the day prior, plus the day of departure. Once the ship departed, crowds were back to normal.

Doesn't make sense that hotels are charging more on ship days as most days in summer ARE ship days.

However, the more expensive hotels are located near the OPT as it is the more touristy area whereas the middle of the city is the shopping area plus a few tourist icons.