Do I need fins to snorkel in Chankanaab?

pezie

Does the water get deep in the snorkeling area at Chankanaab? Some of the pics make it seem like a small cove.

I'm bringing my own snorkel gear and was wondering about fins. If it is just a small, shallow area, I would leave them at home. But if there is a strong current or spots you'd want to dive down deep to get a better view, I want to bring them.

Thanks.

We had no problem without them.

There are currents, and there are some spots to dive maybe 15-20 feet, but we did not find it necessary to wear fins. Only a few people were. Quite honestly, in the shallow areas, it is so crowded, they can get in the way. (As you get further out, the crowds disperse.)

There is a small, shallow (waist deep or so) cove that has a walk-in beach, but there is also a long beach with rocks and steps to go out into the actual ocean. This is where the deeper water is, and while not necessary, fins will definitely enhance your snorkeling experience.

If you're not picky, you can rent gear there... or maybe bring your own snorkel and mask and just rent fins. Personally, I just bring all my own gear -- I hate an ill-fitting fin, it makes my feet cramp up!

We were there in January and it was a very windy day and the water was pretty rough. I think it helped to have fins (we have the compact size) to swim through the waves. It was fairly deep where we were snorkeling -- the rocky part where you use steps to get in.

The area is not small by any means. It also gets deep and you can also swim out to the area that the statues are in the water. So, depending on how comfortable you are swimming without them...

Also the area here gets kinda rough with the water where you enter and exit. I have swam both with and without fins. I personally wouldn't want to go out to the statues without fins.

Here's an overall picture of the place. You can see the dolphin swim area to the right where there's the pens. If you look directly to the left of it, that's a really small cove that is shallow and all sandy (for families with younger children) and then to the left of that and down the beach is the snorkeling area. Not small at all. :D

google-L.jpg

I personally wouldn't want to go out to the statues without fins.

I didn't have any problem swimming out to them on a day with moderate current, but I think people might find it difficult to dive all the way down to them.

I personally don't like to dive more than 5 feet or so when snorkeling though (but I also hate wearing fins if I am swimming at the surface).

Darn too late to edit:

Asked my husband and he said he didn't remember any statues that were more than 15 or 20 feet deep, and he didn't use fins when he dove down to take photos of them.

He said fins would be helpful to KEEP you down there while framing a shot though.

Man, I'm getting excited to go back to Cozumel :)