Where did you go with your rental car?

pilotboy1985

Hi Everyone,

It'll be my first time in St. Maarten. Arriving on RCL Jewel.

I'd like to rent a car, which I've never done in the Caribbean.

I'd be interested in going to Maho Beach, and exploring some of the beaches and some shopping the island has to offer.

Have you rented a car before? where did you go? Is driving tough? (busy, narrow roads, etc,etc??)

Looking for any advice possible about renting a car for the day.

Thanks

following this post, we will be going on the Regal Princess and January and it will be our first time on St. Marteen. I was thinking about renting a Jeep for the day for fun. Looking for some reviews etc

we also are renting a car while there in December. Would like tour the whole island and need help on the best places to make sure to get in, for sure a stop at Orient Beach and mandatory stop in early afternoon to see planes at Maho. Other than that open for ideas, we have 7 adults and one 9-year old boy.

anyone been to Butterfly Farm?

Anyone know about Iguana Farm?

other key recommendations?

thx!

We've been to St Maarten/ Martin numerous times. Our first time we did a tour with Bernard-a good idea- get a local's input, see all the highlights, and get beach time at Orient. Getting around by car is very easy- very hard to get lost. The important thing is to avoid the afternoon commuter traffic. We rent our cars from Coastal- they have a booth right at the port and their cars are just across the street. Pick up a map when exiting the pier area- the car companies have a limited supply. The best way to 'do' the island is counter clockwise so you'll miss the afternoon commuter traffic. Most first timers want to see the planes land-I don't have the link, but from my experience most flights don't land until the afternoon- our's arrives on 12/11 at 2 pm. The beach at Maho is nothing to get excited about and I haven't eaten at the grill there in years, so I can't comment. The most popular beach is Orient- my dw's fave- food at O is nothing to get excited about-but not bad for beach food. If you like open air markets a stop in Marigot is a must. My favorite stop is Grand Case. Some nice shops, plenty of restaurants- many overpriced- but there's the LOLO's ( locally owned, locally operated) with decent food and good prices- right on the water. We love the Sunset Grill at the Grand Case Beach Club there- great food, also right on the water. This trip we arrive in the afternoon pick up our car at the airport, staying at the Grand Case Beach club- we'll shop in Grand Case eat dinner and breakfast at the hotel, then head to Club O for a couple of hours and then drop off the car at the pier

Chris

good info, thank you. My biggest concern is being able to see the bigger planes at Maho (#1 priority for us!) in the early afternoon, then getting thru the bad traffic back to the pier in time to drop off rental car! All the reports of the bad traffic are scary.

Reviewing maps, it looks like there are a couple ways to get back to the pier from Maho, is any particular route more likely to have less traffic?

good info, thank you. My biggest concern is being able to see the bigger planes at Maho (#1 priority for us!) in the early afternoon, then getting thru the bad traffic back to the pier in time to drop off rental car! All the reports of the bad traffic are scary.

Reviewing maps, it looks like there are a couple ways to get back to the pier from Maho, is any particular route more likely to have less traffic?

The newer maps should show the new bridge over Simpson Bay Lagoon. Definitely take that bridge to Union Road. The worst traffic is on Welfare road/ along the coast. It is a little longer ride , but going around the Salt Pond past the zoo instead of through town should also cut down your travel time. I see you're leaving on the 19th. We drop off the car on the 12th and board right after - a Saturday, commuter traffic shouldn't be a problem for us, but I'll try to post from the ship on our experience

Edited by crisp1

The newer maps should show the new bridge over Simpson Bay Lagoon. Definitely take that bridge to Union Road. The worst traffic is on Welfare road/ along the coast. It is a little longer ride , but going around the Salt Pond past the zoo instead of through town should also cut down your travel time. I see you're leaving on the 19th. We drop off the car on the 12th and board right after - a Saturday, commuter traffic shouldn't be a problem for us, but I'll try to post from the ship on our experience

that's awesome info, thanks very much for all the help!

that's awesome info, thanks very much for all the help!

I just remembered that we will not be any where near the airport on Saturday- we'll be driving into Philipsburg from Orient that afternoon. We will be driving to Grand Case on Friday afternoon and will drive over the bridge on the lagoon. I will still try and report what I see traffic wise both days

I just remembered that we will not be any where near the airport on Saturday- we'll be driving into Philipsburg from Orient that afternoon. We will be driving to Grand Case on Friday afternoon and will drive over the bridge on the lagoon. I will still try and report what I see traffic wise both days

thanks again...for any info...we leave on Saturday Dec 19, our day in St Maarten is on a Tuesday 8-5. i want to be able to see as many interesting points as we can during the day, but hit the bigger planes at Maho then make sure we get back to drop off the car before 4

i need a timeline i think so we don't get hung up somewhere too long, we will go counterclockwise around the island so Maho near the end of our tour

thanks again...for any info...we leave on Saturday Dec 19, our day in St Maarten is on a Tuesday 8-5. i want to be able to see as many interesting points as we can during the day, but hit the bigger planes at Maho then make sure we get back to drop off the car before 4

i need a timeline i think so we don't get hung up somewhere too long, we will go counterclockwise around the island so Maho near the end of our tour

Going counterclockwise you'll pass the airport and Maho early. Is there anything other than Maho that's on your list- beach/es, sites, shopping? I recommend a stop in Marigot and check out the open air market and Fort St Lois overlooking Marigot. There is a hill near the port overlooking the port and Philipsburg for photos of the ship. I also like Pinel Island, but you really don't have enough time for that. If you plan on hitting Orient Beach you could have lunch there- I prefer Grand Case- depending on your tastes/ budget. There are some good restaurants on the water or the LOLO's- also on the water for bbq. I prefer the Sunset Cafe at the Grand Case Beach Club

Chris

Going counterclockwise you'll pass the airport and Maho early. Is there anything other than Maho that's on your list- beach/es, sites, shopping? I recommend a stop in Marigot and check out the open air market and Fort St Lois overlooking Marigot. There is a hill near the port overlooking the port and Philipsburg for photos of the ship. I also like Pinel Island, but you really don't have enough time for that. If you plan on hitting Orient Beach you could have lunch there- I prefer Grand Case- depending on your tastes/ budget. There are some good restaurants on the water or the LOLO's- also on the water for bbq. I prefer the Sunset Cafe at the Grand Case Beach Club

Chris

hi, actually by counter-clockwise, i mean when we leave the pier, we are going to head east then up North towards Orient Beach, across the top thru Grand case, then back down the west side towards Maho. So Maho area will be toward the end of our trip. We are hoping to leave early in the morning and do all the loop around the east and north side of the island and back down to Maho by noon to catch bigger planes for awhile.

I wanted to leave plenty of time to see planes at Maho then work our way back to the pier and drop off rental car

I don't know if I am under-estimating the time to circle around the island that way? we dont plan on spending a lot of time at the beach etc, we just want to stop at a few key places for awhile.

make sense? any suggestions?

anyone know about the Iguana Farm? (we have a 9-year old with us)

Having a 'senior' moment- yes, counterclockwise will get you to Maho later vs sooner. I think that if you leave Maho by 2:30- 2:45 you won't have any problem getting back to the pier before 4. If you do get back a bit early- there are plenty of shops, live entertainment etc right at the pier.

great, thank you. (i have been spooked by all the comments about bad traffic in the afternoon so want to be careful).

Couple more questions -

I have read about a CAROUSEL in Marigot -- anyone been there? I need to check days and hours open.

Also I have read about Seaside Nature Park in Cole Bay south of Maho. Probably not time for that but also wondered if anyone has been there

great, thank you. (i have been spooked by all the comments about bad traffic in the afternoon so want to be careful).

Couple more questions -

I have read about a CAROUSEL in Marigot -- anyone been there? I need to check days and hours open.

Also I have read about Seaside Nature Park in Cole Bay south of Maho. Probably not time for that but also wondered if anyone has been there

As long as you leave Maho before 3:00 you should be all right - the large planes generally come in between noon and 2:00, and traffic does not build up much before 4:00.