Jfk

demodawn

Question not cruise related. We have an 8 hour layover at JFK on our next trip. Traveling with friends from TX who haven't been to ground zero. Is it possible from JFK. Is there a train to take directly or what are chances of doing something during that time. Thanks in advance

Edited by demodawn

You can plot a route on http://www.hopstop.com, even being specific re: time of day and day of week. Consider how far in advance you need to be back at the airport for your next flight.

The 9/11 Memorial (it is not commonly referred to as ground zero) is free; the Museum has a fee and there can be long lines if you don't buy a timed ticket in advance. I have seen recommendations of allotting 3 hours for the Museum.

You can take the AirTrain from JFK to the Sutphin Blvd. subway station in Jamaica and there board the E subway, which you'll take to it's final stop, World Trade Center. Just do the reverse to get back...E train from WTC to Sutphin Blvd., then Airtrain to JFK. Allow up to 90 minutes in each direction. The fare is $7.75 per person in each direction. You can buy MetroCards at JFK to pay for the trip.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-public-transportation.html

express bus is $16.00 pp. each way.

better than the subway.

less expensive than a cab and very reliable.

but if time is an issue, and this is something you have to do, call a car service and have them wait for you....

But the express bus goes to midtown, which means a subway ride to Ground Zero will still be required, and given traffic, the travel time may be greater than the AirTrain/subway combination.

Given it's over double the cost, may have greater travel time and requires a subway ride anyway, I can't see how this option is better than AirTrain/subway.

And for four people (I'm assuming it's two couples traveling together) it wouldn't be cheaper than a taxi either.

Edited by njhorseman

Hi Dawn! Peru??? Are you doing land or sea?

I see you were on the Adventure recently. How was it? I am booked on a B2B at the end of next Jan and am hoping to convince DH to go for at least one week. Got a great balcony deal on two deck 9 aft balconies - only a bit more than an inside with the two D+ discounts so I grabbed them.

That would be great. Sorry - misread your dates. I sailed Adventure with my mom in 2007, but that's a long time ago now and I need an update. We did the Aruba, Curacao, St Thomas, St martin route in Jan - very windy - rented a car on all the Dutch Islands and had a great time inside the car - Orient Beach was a sandstorm! cc138east at gmail