Survey-5E GTY Room Assignment Disney Fantasy

MMfan14

Just curious what room did people end up getting that booked on a 5E GTY on the Disney Fantasy either on a past cruise or have finally got there room assigned for an upcoming cruise. Would you do it again? Happy with what you got?

I was wondering the same thing also! If you book a 5e guarentee do you get a 5e or get upgraded. I love aft facing balconies and if I ever booked a 5e guarentee would want to get a 5e not an upgrade to something else.

Don't count on being assigned an aft 5e booking a 5e GTY. These are popular cabins and they book quickly. I think DCL is onto this, and is keeping the 5e GTY active way tooo loooong, IMO.

Always book a cabin up front you will be comfortable with. That's the best advice we ever learned from reading the boards.

If you will be disappointed with other than an aft veranda, don't book a GTY.

We are anal about cabin location and would never book a GTY. Of course that's just us. So keep that point of view in mind reading my banter. lol.

You could be assigned any veranda from a 5e to a 4a. You never know? ? ? Check deckplans and whatnot prior to booking GTY to assure you will be comfortable with any of the other 400 possible cabin assignments.

Rant over. I suspect you know all this already. Oops. Sorry no help.

But I feel better now. :p

Good Luck

So I booked the 5e GTY and earlier tonight they assigned me cabin 7688 - Aft cabin with the mega balcony! This is going to be an awesome birthday cruise for me! I've been checking it out online and have seen people even putting up hammocks on the balcony :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

we have almost always used the GTY rates. There can be a very significant difference in price, meaning maybe we can't go. We have never gotten a lesser room. The last time, a GTY on the Dream got us an upgrade to the Family sized deck 9 veranda room. Time before that, we got 10648 on the Fantasy.

My only problem with these rooms is because I have a fear of heights. Its just too high for me to look over the edge. I end up sitting close to the sliding door.

My girlfriend and her husband are on the Fantasy right now in port waiting to leave. Their GTY got them a nice deck 7 veranda room.

I would say go for it. You can try to change rooms when you check in at the port, but not always. We did it once. We usually book anywhere from 2-6 weeks before a cruise & we get our room pretty quick. This time, we just happened upon a great price 100 days out, so I am still waiting for my room assignment.

we have almost always used the GTY rates. There can be a very significant difference in price, meaning maybe we can't go. We have never gotten a lesser room. The last time, a GTY on the Dream got us an upgrade to the Family sized deck 9 veranda room. Time before that, we got 10648 on the Fantasy.

My only problem with these rooms is because I have a fear of heights. Its just too high for me to look over the edge. I end up sitting close to the sliding door.

My girlfriend and her husband are on the Fantasy right now in port waiting to leave. Their GTY got them a nice deck 7 veranda room.

I would say go for it. You can try to change rooms when you check in at the port, but not always. We did it once. We usually book anywhere from 2-6 weeks before a cruise & we get our room pretty quick. This time, we just happened upon a great price 100 days out, so I am still waiting for my room assignment.

Do you go to the pier coordinator to change your stateroom or with the check in agent?

bsddsc' date=' are you talking about GTY or are you meaning *GT (as in VGT/OGT/IGT)? These are totally different types of bookings.[/quote']

I do mean GTY. You know, when you book a guarantee veranda but you can't pick the room. Its always a lower rate. I've done that several times. I've got one right now, haven't gotten my room yet.

Actually, what are those other rates? I've never heard of them?

To connes1, I request room changes when I check in, with the check in agent. I believe we had to go to another line after checking in. I don't know what a pier coordinator is, but maybe that is the agent in the second line. One time, we even upgraded our room right there. It been quiet a while ago, it was before we were Platinum.

I do mean GTY. You know, when you book a guarantee veranda but you can't pick the room. Its always a lower rate. I've done that several times. I've got one right now, haven't gotten my room yet.

To connes1, I request room changes when I check in, with the check in agent. I believe we had to go to another line after checking in. I don't know what a pier coordinator is, but maybe that is the agent in the second line. One time, we even upgraded our room right there. It been quiet a while ago, it was before we were Platinum.

With rccl you go to the pier coordinator to change rooms or upgrade. I have been able to skip the check in agent and check in with the pier coordinator.

You have your terms mixed up (which is what I suspected). VGT is the booking that give you a guaranteed verandah but you don't get to pick your cabin or category. OGT/IGT are the same thing with an oceanview or inside. These are restricted bookings and carry a big discount. They are typically available 74 days or less before a cruise and are used to fill a ship where bookings are light.

A GTY booking (as in 5EGTY) will always have a category associated with it. It can be an 11GTY or a 4GTY, but there will always be a number. What this means is that DCL has booked 90+% of the cabins in that category and can no longer assign a room number at the time of booking. You are guaranteed at least that category or a more expensive one (not just a verandah, but a specific category). You pay full price for the booking and it is in all other ways normal--same cancelation policy, etc. DCL knows that some people will cancel before the penalty date and this allows them to fill the ship while keeping some of the lower price points available. Most people would not be unhappy if they booked a cat 5 and got a cat 4.....They don't overbook the ship, but they do overbook some categories. These bookings are available SOMETIMES many months to even a year in advance of a cruise IF the bookings warrant it.

You have your terms mixed up (which is what I suspected). VGT is the booking that give you a guaranteed verandah but you don't get to pick your cabin or category. OGT/IGT are the same thing with an oceanview or inside. These are restricted bookings and carry a big discount. They are typically available 74 days or less before a cruise and are used to fill a ship where bookings are light.

A GTY booking (as in 5EGTY) will always have a category associated with it. It can be an 11GTY or a 4GTY' date=' but there will always be a number. What this means is that DCL has booked 90+% of the cabins in that category and can no longer assign a room number at the time of booking. You are guaranteed at least that category or a more expensive one (not just a verandah, but a specific category). You pay full price for the booking and it is in all other ways normal--same cancelation policy, etc. DCL knows that some people will cancel before the penalty date and this allows them to fill the ship while keeping some of the lower price points available. Most people would not be unhappy if they booked a cat 5 and got a cat 4.....They don't overbook the ship, but they do overbook some categories. These bookings are available SOMETIMES many months to even a year in advance of a cruise IF the bookings warrant it.[/quote']

So if you have a VGT you will not be upgraded?

So if you have a VGT you will not be upgraded?

A VGT gives you any cabin on the ship with a balcony that will sleep the number of people in your group. That can be anything from a cat 7 to a cat 4. People get very excited when they are assigned to a cat 4, but technically that is not an upgrade. The only thing that would be an upgrade from a VGT would be a concierge cabin, and that's not likely to happen.

Basically, with a VGT you are paying less than the rate for a cat 7. Most people are assigned to cat 5s when they book this. True, some get 6 or a 7...and the really lucky ones get a 4. But the terms of the booking allow for any 4,5,6,or 7. It gives DCL maximum flexibility with room assignments.

YES, I have heard of people booking an OGT(oceanview restricted fare) and getting assigned to a balcony cabin. So you can get an upgrade with these fares. You can also purchase an upgrade at the port if you wish. For that, they will calculate the cost of the upgrade from a cat 7 to whatever you want to move to (or the lowest level cabin you could have been assigned to based on your booking. If you booked OGT, they will calculate from a cat 9).

A GTY booking (as in 5EGTY) will always have a category associated with it. It can be an 11GTY or a 4GTY' date=' but there will always be a number. What this means is that DCL has booked 90+% of the cabins in that category and can no longer assign a room number at the time of booking. You are guaranteed at least that category or a more expensive one (not just a verandah, but a specific category). You pay full price for the booking and it is in all other ways normal--same cancelation policy, etc. DCL knows that some people will cancel before the penalty date and this allows them to fill the ship while keeping some of the lower price points available. Most people would not be unhappy if they booked a cat 5 and got a cat 4.....They don't overbook the ship, but they do overbook some categories. These bookings are available SOMETIMES many months to even a year in advance of a cruise IF the bookings warrant it.[/quote']

my current booking really does say GTY all by itself, and does have a veranda category mentioned in the description. but no number. I have booked it many times. And in all my DCL cruises, I have never paid full price for a room. Because I live in Florida, I mostly book cruises with Florida resident rates. Many times, the FLR only has GTY. So you pick your category of GTY and wait for your room to be assigned. I only had 4 out of my 15 cruises where I picked my room.

Changed rooms a couple times when I got to port, upgraded once. But one time we did get stuck in a solid wall veranda. Being short, I couldn't see the water when I was sitting down. They were full and I couldn't move. I wasn't happy at all. But other than that, I'll keep cruising GTY if I need to. Beats not cruising at all.

I have often tried to beat my FLR thru the DCL website with other travel sites. And even with the ship board credits the other sites had, I couldn't beat the DCL price. I guess it really matters when you book, how you book and how far out and where you live.

A good 10 years ago, we were traveling with cast members but only had an outside room. We met someone who booked 12 days before the cruise, got a veranda and paid less than we did. Timing is everything.

(sorry didn't mean to ramble on)

my current booking really does say GTY all by itself, and does have a veranda category mentioned in the description. but no number. I have booked it many times. And in all my DCL cruises, I have never paid full price for a room. Because I live in Florida, I mostly book cruises with Florida resident rates. Many times, the FLR only has GTY. So you pick your category of GTY and wait for your room to be assigned. I only had 4 out of my 15 cruises where I picked my room.

Changed rooms a couple times when I got to port, upgraded once. But one time we did get stuck in a solid wall veranda. Being short, I couldn't see the water when I was sitting down. They were full and I couldn't move. I wasn't happy at all. But other than that, I'll keep cruising GTY if I need to. Beats not cruising at all.

I have often tried to beat my FLR thru the DCL website with other travel sites. And even with the ship board credits the other sites had, I couldn't beat the DCL price. I guess it really matters when you book, how you book and how far out and where you live.

A good 10 years ago, we were traveling with cast members but only had an outside room. We met someone who booked 12 days before the cruise, got a veranda and paid less than we did. Timing is everything.

(sorry didn't mean to ramble on)

You're not getting a discount because you're in GTY status though, you're getting a Florida resident rate discount.

I was checking out a cruise next year, it's full price but the category I was looking at was already in GTY (i.e. I could not pick my cabin).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got ours. Went from a 5E GTY to Category 5B. It's strange though because I checked the DCL website and they do have Category 5Es (rear aft balcony) available to choose, I don't understand why they upgraded us when there are Category 5Es available:confused:. Anyone know why this would happen?