Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific Coastal 9/30/17 Any tips for a pair of just turned 30's?

Fall3n13

Well my wife and I were looking for a getaway to celebrate both of us turning 30 and our 5 year wedding anniversary. I'm a diamond member on RCCL and cruise the Caribbean way too much. We decided to try something different and found ourselves interested in the Pacific Northwest. We booked ourselves a Verandah for the two us for only $1300 which we feel is an amazing price when HAL is usually way more.

Our only concern is what it's going to be like onboard. Now my wife and I are not party animals/ club people but we do want to stay up past 10-11pm and have a good time. We have read and like the idea of the B.B. King Blues Club and will definitely be there for that. But when it comes to any other nightlife, well.. is there any?

Well my wife and I were looking for a getaway to celebrate both of us turning 30 and our 5 year wedding anniversary. I'm a diamond member on RCCL and cruise the Caribbean way too much. We decided to try something different and found ourselves interested in the Pacific Northwest. We booked ourselves a Verandah for the two us for only $1300 which we feel is an amazing price when HAL is usually way more.

Our only concern is what it's going to be like onboard. Now my wife and I are not party animals/ club people but we do want to stay up past 10-11pm and have a good time. We have read and like the idea of the B.B. King Blues Club and will definitely be there for that. But when it comes to any other nightlife, well.. is there any?

HAL nightlife is generally a bit more subdued than on most other lines, but on these relatively short Pacific Coastal cruises the passenger mix is younger and more from CA and the Pacific NW, so things should be a bit livelier than most HAL cruises. With our (we are on this sailing as well) busy port schedule you should find plenty of things to do.

One thing to add - while this cruise is a 5 day Coastal, it is the first segment of a 21 day Panama Canal cruise to Fort Lauderdale. Therefore, there will be two distinct "types" of passengers onboard.

We're on that ship in May 2018 for Pacific Coastal/Alaska B2B. If you stop in Victoria, I'd suggest either Butchart Gardens or Victoria Pedicab (Private). For Butchart, do the ship's tour since it's a distance to drive and I worried about getting back to the ship on time.

I'd suggest joining the roll call.

We're also frequent Royal Caribbean cruisers, but we really liked HAL.

If they offer the laundry deal of $7-9 per day, I'd take them up on it.

Or, you may want to consider the suite amenities package. You get a whole bunch of things, and laundry is included. Most of the items can be bought separately. We did the suite amenities, mainly for the disembarkation procedures, but decided that's not reason enough to get the package. You do eat the last breakfast in the pinnacle grill, but as far as disembarking, you're in the long line with everyone else. It's not like it was in our Grand Suite on the Grandeur of the Seas where the concierge took us down the elevator in small groups to deck 1.

What's the best way to get to the port from the airport? Taxi or Uber?

Three main ways:

HAL transfer - ususally by bus but sometimes they put you in a taxi (depends on how busy it is).

Taxi - about $40 CN

Skytrain - costs about $8 pp and lets you off about 2 blocks from the pier (luggage is fine on the skytrain, but of course you must handle yourself). Do some research on the boards if interested.

Disembarking in San Diego should not be too bad, as alot of people are staying onboard for the Panama Canal portion.

Uber - Do not know how it works in Vancouver.