Picture-A-Week 2014 - Week 49

pierces

Appreciate the great flower pictures. Amazing and good looking!! Was over in Indianapolis, Indiana, this past weekend for the Big Ten college football championship game between Ohio State and Wisconsin (home of cheese, the Packers, etc.). OSU won big, 59-0, moved up to 4th-ranked nationally and gaining a place in the big Jan. 1 college play-off games to go for the National Championship. Will share more picture shortly from the game and its events. But, first some food shots that were enjoyed during this road trip.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 165,561 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is a sampling of the dining delights while in Indianapolis, Ind., getting ready for doing the Big Ten college football championship game when the Ohio State Buckeyes beat Wisconsin 59-0 to gain a 4th-ranking nationally. First is the Veal Piccata with capers, white wine sauce, etc., plus soup and a side of spaghetti. Second is the pistachio cannoli for dessert. Both of these were from Saturday night's pre-game dinner at the Milano Inn in a historic, late 19th century brick building in the old Italian section near their downtown. Finally was the Sunday morning celebration breakfast at The Egg and I dining location north of Indy. I had the crab cakes Benedict with lots of hollandaise sauce and ranch potatoes. Notice their bottle of "hot sauce" that is available? Fun and very good!!:

Dec2014A7_zps3bd53d9d.jpg

Dec2014A8_zps4d230183.jpg

Dec2014A1_zps149d530e.jpg

As promised and threatened, here are some championship game visuals taken from my seats in the amazing Lucas Oil Stadium in downtown Indianapolis. Thankfully, we were indoors and did not have to battle the Midwest cold weather during this exciting game.

Now back to getting ready for our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing on the Silver Cloud. Plus, more road trips over the end of the year holidays. First to Kansas for Christmas and then New Years Day for Virginia and the grandsons, etc. Lots of opportunities for food, family and fun visuals.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 88,030 views for this posting.

Here are our travel partners, Janet and Dennis, at the game. He broke his ankle and had surgery two weeks ago, but is doing well with his scooter, made it over and back fine for this game, etc. Plus, we all loved this exciting game with lots of offense and defense highlights.:

Dec2014A6_zpsa8aa467b.jpg

The OSU Marching Band did its pre-game show with the famed Script Ohio. Here you can see the overall view on the stadium big-screen, plus the "dotting" of the i by a senior band member.:

Dec2014A5_zps540b9e48.jpg

Dec2014A9_zps653a0d40.jpg

At the start of the second half, here is the banner lead-in for our team coming back on the field to pound more Wisconsin cheese.:

Dec2014A4_zps7b00f94b.jpg

Here is one of the many Ohio State touchdown scores during this game. Here you see the running back Curtis Samuel from Brooklyn as he is ready to cross the goal line. Notice how the blocking lined up? This 12-yard run made the score 52-0 early in the fourth quarter. Overall, Ohio State was 12-1 this season.:

Dec2014A3_zpse438cce6.jpg

On the stadium's large screen, here is the look as Ohio State players celebrate when being presented the victory hardware with the smiling OSU coach shown on the left side. Happy folks and fans!! Sorry for Wisconsin.:

Dec2014A2_zpse8656d32.jpg

I don't know if fellow cruise critic members get tired of seeing birds/wildlife - but I did get out and shoot some wetlands birds again this past weekend, so here are a few highlights:

Always nice to add a new bird to the sightings list - this is my first encounter with and photograph of a yellow-headed blackbird:

original.jpg

Mischievous otter:

original.jpg

Flock of monk parakeets looking nice and tropical in the Florida blue skies - and some grackle friends trailing along with them:

original.jpg

Fat Egyptian goose hanging out:

original.jpg

Backlit anhinga stretching and drying out:

original.jpg

My shiny new Canon T5i came today, so took it to my sons concert tonight. My goodness how technology has improved in 6 short years!

These were handheld at nearly 200mm indoors at a concert hall, then cropped in even further. Pushed the ISO to 6400 on some, 3200 on others, but I can live with the grain for the images I finally get to capture in such poor light.

Focus is spot on, the touch screen is handy as all get out for changing settings, I can't wait to see what it does outdoors in good light!

orch04.jpg

orch01.jpg

Intentional blurriness

orch02.jpg

I don't know if fellow cruise critic members get tired of seeing birds/wildlife - but I did get out and shoot some wetlands birds again this past weekend, so here are a few highlights:

Always nice to add a new bird to the sightings list - this is my first encounter with and photograph of a yellow-headed blackbird:

original.jpg

Mischievous otter:

original.jpg

Flock of monk parakeets looking nice and tropical in the Florida blue skies - and some grackle friends trailing along with them:

original.jpg

Fat Egyptian goose hanging out:

original.jpg

Backlit anhinga stretching and drying out:

original.jpg

Love your wildlife pcitures

My goodness how technology has improved in 6 short years! These were handheld at nearly 200mm indoors at a concert hall, then cropped in even further. Pushed the ISO to 6400 on some, 3200 on others, but I can live with the grain for the images I finally get to capture in such poor light.

Krazy Kruizers: TCLOhio Sorry about your friend breaking his ankle. Hope it heals quickly.

YES' date=' [b']camera technology is improving so much[/b]. As I have played with a higher ISO number on my Nikon D7100, the results have been very good. Love the bird pictures posted. Great, amazing quality!! Gives me lots of ideas for getting "closer" and making those bird visuals fill the screen.

My friend with the bad ankle is progress well, PLUS, most important, he keeps a good attitude about things. No bitching and/or complaining. Just looking forward and staying positive.

Now at 45 days until we depart Columbus to start our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure Yesterday's "big thing" was getting my shots for Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A & B and Typhoid. Plus a travel prescription for the pills to take to ward off malaria while in and around these Amazon River/Brazil areas.

"Street food" brings up some excellent questions and considerations for this trip!!! When traveling overseas, I hate to even think of McDonalds and/or any other such boring "formula" food. Yes, want to get the local "flavor and feel". BUT, in talking with the travel health clinic people yesterday, they had some strong, vocal warnings for what you put in your body in certain parts of this unique and varied world. They note on their website: "Raw fruits and veggies? Cook it, boil it, peel it or forget it!" Got to be careful when traveling in certain parts of the world.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 189,601 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474