First cruising with my family, how should prepare for the trip?

Rossbates

Cruising was my dream. And now we are planning to cruise to New york. Since this is our first cruising, I was little concerned about the safety matters. When I searched about the traveling safety and legal matters, I found an article regarding that https://campisilaw.ca/blog/things-to-consider-when-you-have-been-injured-in-an-accident-while-travelling/. What can we do as a preventive measure if something like that happened there. I don't like to get into any chaos. If I have taken travel insurance, will they take care of such matters?

Congratulations on your cruise!

Note that the site you've posted is a legal site, setup partially to drum up business for the proprietors.

Cruising is very safe, but accidents to happen as in the normal course of life. The cruise contract is set up (like most contracts) to reduce the liability of the carrier. The major difference with cruises is the potential jurisdiction issue that the website talks about.

Cruise insurance varies substantially, but if you have appropriate medical coverage it will help cover those costs associated with an injury. I don't believe that the typical policies will assist you in suing the carrier for other types of damages (emotional distress, lost work, what have you), though it's likely there is some sort of policy that provided basic legal assistance.

Insure my trip dot com has lots of information about what travel insurance provides, and what specific policies cover.

Bon Voyage!

Congratulations on your cruise!

Note that the site you've posted is a legal site, setup partially to drum up business for the proprietors.

Bon Voyage!

Yep, let's scare the punters into using our services :D

Here's another example - read this injury lawyer's site & you'll never pick up a basket-ball again ;)

http://munley.com/sports-injury-lawyer/

Cruising is as safe as any other form of vacation, though some of the risks are different. Take a vacation in a South African national park & you won't be involved in a maritime incident, take a cruise and you won't be eaten by a lion.

But both are incredibly unlikely anyway, so don't get your knickers in a twist about risks ;)

But do take out insurance.

The majority of claims are for cancellation costs due to illness, family matters etc. A lot of money to have at risk,

The biggest claims are for medevac / medicare / repatriation. These are very very very very rare, but the costs can be more than the average Joe can afford.

You can fix insurance thro the cruise line, but you'll find better value elsewhere.

Mike's suggestion is a good place to start.

JB :)

Travel insurance protects your investment, in case of delays beyond the control of airlines or cruise line, illness, injury (if you have medical coverage on your policy)...Pre-existing conditions generally can only be covered if you buy a policy when you purchase the vacation....and you need to make sure that IS part of the policy! Your medical insurance won't cover you out of your country....but may reimburse some expenses....again, it depends on your personal policy!

The odds of something awful happening are quite low....a cruise is but a vacation...just think of it that way!

Lolzers!

You just get cruise insurance that covers your geographical area and declare all the pre-existing medical conditions.

Preparing the family is looking at the different cruise lines and what they offer to your age groups and special interests you may have. From this you can select a suitable cruise line and book a good itinerary for you.

Realistically it will be straight forward once you choose and book then ask on here about details.

Regards John