Mechanical Issues Delay "Star"

OBX Cruisers

Dear Barry & Nessa,

We understand that you have questions and concerns about whether the repairs currently being done to Viking Star will impact your August 8th departure. We are waiting for our technical team to advise how long the full repair process will take and will know more in the next few days. If it were to be determined that the August 8th departure will be impacted, we would directly notify you and all of our guests immediately. We know you are anticipating your journey and that some guests, such as yourself, have other travel arrangements that they have made in addition to their Viking cruise. Your continued patience is greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Viking Cruises

We are scheduled to depart Bergen on the the Star next Saturday 8/8. There may be those on board doing B2B. What is Viking telling them?

We are set to leave Phoenix on Wednesday 8/5 to arrive in Bergen late on Thursday. We have already booked "Norway in a Nutshell" for Friday the 7th.

If we hear from VO prior to 8/5 about a cancellation we will try and cancel all our plans. If they cancel after we leave, we'll at least get to tour Norway and then find a way to come back home.:(

We are currently passengers on the Viking Star and are docked in Tallinn, Estonia. Although yesterday was a bit chaotic, we are amongst the group of passengers who are quite happy with what Viking has done too ease an understandably difficult situation.

They have provided complementary Tallinn tours for the next 2 days to all the sights in the area including the Happsuala Summer Resort, Viimsi Peninsula, Kakumae Peninsula and Seaplane Harbor, Wilderness hike in Korvemaa Nature Reserve, and bicycling around town. Yesterday we went into town and enjoyed a folk music concert in the town square with the locals.

We will be taking option 2 described in the Viking response (see earlier posting) and will hope to enjoy Bergen as well. There are those that are disappointed and very unhappy and are leaving the ship ASAP (option 1). But for us this is an unplanned adventure. The crew and staff are doing the utmost to ease the pain of a cancelled cruise and the excellent meals, lectures and on board entertainment continues.

This a.m. We were informed cruise is cancelled. We are given two option: they will fly us home or fly us to Bergen and put us in hotel Until sat. A lot of chaos involved. They are also offering only 50% refund for trip and 50% for future cruise.this is unacceptable. (Good luck getting a future cruise as they are booked 2-3 yrs out). This entire mess has been marked by indecision from VO. Viking should have flown in a crisis team to handle this disaster and to efficiently get people on their way. Much of the rebooking has had to be handled by passengers themselves with only four computers available. We have been sitting & waiting four days without solid info, just waiting and waiting. Major fiasco from start to end, a dream trip turned nightmare. Clearly Viking was not ready to join the big boys on the ocean & should stick to river cruises.

Different people have different expectations. When it became clear we weren't leaving Tallinn, we decided to reimagine our trip as a Baltic spa vacation. We have power and therefore hot food, as well as running/flushing water. We're leaving early, but not because we're angry; Norway is the bit of this itinerary that we've seen--several times.

Would I have preferred "better" communication from VO? Maybe, but keep in mind that information and communication aren't the same. I think VO told us what they knew when they knew it. The crew, the company's main conduit of communication, has been unfailingly professional throughout, exemplars of outstanding crisis-communication training.

I booked a sightseeing vacation to see far off places that I have never to before. I can do a spa anytime at home. Unfortunately some of us will not be able to travel here again. My expectations were based on what I was sold. Viking missed a golden opportunity to walk the talk. Instead they handled it badly.

I booked a sightseeing vacation to see far off places that I have never to before. I can do a spa anytime at home. Unfortunately some of us will not be able to travel here again. My expectations were based on what I was sold. Viking missed a golden opportunity to walk the talk. Instead they handled it badly.

Bravo to BrianBoru - his calm, mature approach to this crisis is to be applauded. Making the best of a changed situation is the way to handle things of this nature. Not the trip anyone had planned, but an adventure nonetheless. With 46 years of of sailing on ships, I have experienced delays, cancellations, changes of ports, wild storms (3) on the North Atlantic...There are two ways to react to such contingencies: one, be upset and get nothing out it, OR two, adapt, modify, make it a new experience. No doubt this is extremely disappointing.

BTW, in my experience a 50% refund is not common; these days various lines often only give future cruise credits.

While I know it is extremely disappointing to have this happen, I do have to applaud VO for taking these steps that are a show of class. They are owning it. They are acting upon it, and they are truly making an effort to do right - JMHO. Maitaima I feel bad for all who are not okay with the offering.....but in honesty I think that VO is doing a lot to try to make a really bad situation much better.

That said, I want to share an option for those who will be going to Bergen for several days to consider while there. We had three days on the Maiden voyage, and On the middle day we did 'Norway in a Nutshell'. It is a great way to see the countryside and still get to cruise the fjord to Flam. The itinerary we took:

Train out of Bergen - transfer to a bus ride down into the fjord, catch a (basically car transport ferry) ride up the fjord to Flam. Take the Flambana Train to Myrdal. Transfer to the train back into Bergen. It was pouring rain that day we went and still beautiful (the ferry ride dry areas were jam packed though with the rain so just know that) It was a very full day. The only real walking was to and from the Bergen train station. You can purchase tickets online and pick them up at the Bergen visitors center the day ahead. You will see beautiful scenery and still get to Flam. It is the prettiest bus ride and all the lakes, mountains, streams, snow from the train were spectacular.

Hoping all this works out for all of you - that in spite of this huge disappointment to passengers as well as Viking crew, that you can enjoy in a different way an amazing part of our world. Our friends who are on board are to quote 'going to make lemonade out of lemons'. I wish you all a safe and wonderful journey.

As someone who has sailed a lot and works in the media, here's my reaction to Viking's 50/50 offer. I don't think it's unfair or ungenerous - but from a public relations standpoint, I don't think it's enough. Not for a company trying to break into a new market. I've been to Tallinn, and I know it's lovely. And I completely believe that the ship is like a five-star resort and spa. But the thing is, I doubt any of those people would have chosen to spend that much money to stay that long at a five-star resort in Tallinn. Look, if this were an established, ocean-going luxury line like Crystal, I'd probably think 50 percent back and a 50 percent credit were fine, and exactly what I'd expect given how much time I spent on the ship. But if you want me to consider your brand new luxury outlet, I think you need to bite the bullet and do more, if only to make up for the bad impression the trip may have created in the minds of future consumers you want to reach. Give them their money back. Yes, that's more than generous. It also is good pr, and good business sense.

Edited by Patria21

Is anybody currently on the ship who's doing B2B segments or who was planning on doing the 50-day Stockholm to Istanbul cruise? How is this affecting you? Are you going to Bergen with the expectation of the ship getting to Bergen and continuing on from there? Or are you just packing it in and going home? Are they offering you the 50/50 deal off your whole cruise price or only this segment price?

I could see this being a sticky situation for those who had planned on going further on the Star than Bergen. Trying to imagine if this had happened to us in say Santorini on the Maiden Cruise. What would we have decided to do... also feeling horrible for those planning on leaving home soon for the August 8th departure.

Agree with VV about the Norway in a Nutshell trip. It was great! I was one of those nut cases that was on the top deck of the tourist boat enjoying the fjord in the rain. Believe it or not, I think the bus ride was the best - the views were spectacular - what a beautiful wilderness area.

Good luck to all!

Dear Barry & Nessa,

We understand that you have questions and concerns about whether the repairs currently being done to Viking Star will impact your August 8th departure. We are waiting for our technical team to advise how long the full repair process will take and will know more in the next few days. If it were to be determined that the August 8th departure will be impacted, we would directly notify you and all of our guests immediately. We know you are anticipating your journey and that some guests, such as yourself, have other travel arrangements that they have made in addition to their Viking cruise. Your continued patience is greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Viking Cruises

Any update on the 8/8 cruise?

Agree. Not sure if I were in this situation, if I would even want to book another cruise with Viking - given some of the other issues we have encountered. So much happier with their River Cruise booking experience.

Here it is now Monday morning August 3rd, our 5 th day in Tallin. Last night was a bit of a meltdown here on board some passengers ar people were getting notices at 7pm to have their bags packed by 10pm that night & that they were flying back to USA at 4am, the next morning. Others got a notice at 7pm, on the 2nd, that they will fly out to Bergen on August 4 th. To await their original air out of Bergen on the 8th, no word on where they will stay. Viking says if we get you to Bergen you will have a room. Fingers crossed. We are among many who have no word yet as to where or when we are leaving the ship. Anyone still on board from CC? I'd love to talk to you...we are in cabin 3049.

Edited by toby4352
Typo

Here it is now Monday morning August 3rd, our 5 th day in Tallin. Last night was a bit of a meltdown among some passengers were getting notices at 7pm to have their bags packed by 10pm that night & that they were flying back to USA at 4am, the next morning. Others got a notice at 7pm, on the 2nd, that they will fly out to Bergen on August 4 th. To await their original air out of Bergen on the 8th, no word on where they will stay. Viking says if we get you to Bergen you will have a room. Fingers crossed. We are among many who have no word yet as to where or when we are leaving the ship. Anyone still on board from CC? I'd love to talk to you...we are in cabin 3049.

Thought we were all set yesterday. We chose option to have Viking fly us to Bergen. We would then be there in hotel with excursions and then take post extension to Oslo and fly home as scheduled. At least we would get to see part of Norway and a little of our tour would be saved.

Last night, overhearing a few conversations from other passengers, we thought we'd better get back in line at the Explorers Desk. Sure enough, our plans are once again up in the air. Viking is only able to send 20% of those who want to go to Bergen. Not enough hotels. Not sure who will make the cut. Waiting this morning to see if we are on the list. Or if the friends we're traveling with get to go. If not, we're back to waiting for info on flight home to DC.

Sure wish they hadn't gotten our hopes up It's going to be hard to watch those Viking ads on Masterpiece Theatre . . .

Just heard from our friends on board the Star. They have a post extension ....and just as OBX Cruisers stated, they chose Bergen so that they could catch scheduled flights to their paid extension. Now they are in limbo as well because there is no communication - they do not know if VO is just sending them home or to Bergen to finish their post trip that they paid for. Unbelievable.

Seems to me that VO has gone from having a good response and communicating - to creating a totally unnecessary cluster - I get that Bergen is small, it is the height of tourism, and hotels are limited. I was there in May one time, What I don't get is that VO put out the Bergen option in the first place with much greater knowledge of Bergen than me - and in doing that communication it precluded guests from going ahead and making individual plans a few days ago to salvage their vacation.

Why not give options to your passengers Viking? Let your passengers decide how they want to end their trip. Let them go to say Copenhagen or Oslo for a few days, then journey home or on their post cruise extension? If it is about money, suck it up. VO is now turning an opportunity into a totally stressful experience with you. You are wasting time that has turned into days of angst. I think you have truly blown your chance to be considered a quality, luxury, 5 star Ocean cruise line. Gotta say, now with reading this.....back to your competition for me At this point.

I feel really bad for all those on the Star right now.

Edited by Vineyard View

We have been reading all the posts and it must be so awful for everyone..not only to miss most of the cruise ..but also because of the chaos and uncertainty about how it will be resolved. Not knowing whether you can go to Bergen or have to fly home now must be so unsettling for everyone.

It is natural to blame Viking but I guess it will all depend how foreseeable this issue was (in a post from them they said it was very unusual). Such a pity that on top of all the teething problems in the first couple of legs they are also dealing with this nightmare of having to terminate a cruise so shortly after launch.. plus logistical problems of how to get everyone home. All of this will certainly impact future bookings....

Such a shame..we were on the Viking Homelands from late May and really enjoyed our cruise....We were really hoping that all the glitches had been resolved (thanks to earlier complaints from those on the inaugural cruise) and now this...

Dear Barry & Nessa,

Kindest regards,

Viking Cruises

Still waiting for an answer on the next cruise - 8/8

It is the manner in which they are handling this - the unusual

Mechanical they couldn't foresee- but how they are responding is in their control - and that is the real issue. We were part of the 'shakedown' and had a wonderful time - but this situation did not need to get to where it is right now. JMHO

I've been watching events unfold carefully as I'm scheduled to sail out of Venice on Sept. 3. I've decided that if the Star is not seaworthy by then I'm still going on my trip. I have an airline ticket I did not book through Viking, travel insurance (although I'm sure VO will refund if the entire sailing is canceled), three nights hotel booked in Venice and three nights hotel booked in Barcelona. Italy is beautiful in September and I'll be okay no matter what happens, and there are plenty of hotels in Italy. Of course I'll be disappointed in missing the cruise I booked 27 months in advance, but life happens.

I'm pleased to read that some people are taking this well and are enjoying Estonia. The downside is that you are missing dreamed about ports. The upside is that you are on a lovely ship with great food, comfortable beds, good service, entertainment, wifi, etc.

Good luck and I hope it works out for all of you. What a nightmare this must be for Viking.

I've been watching events unfold carefully as I'm scheduled to sail out of Venice on Sept. 3. I've decided that if the Star is not seaworthy by then I'm still going on my trip. I have an airline ticket I did not book through Viking, travel insurance (although I'm sure VO will refund if the entire sailing is canceled), three nights hotel booked in Venice and three nights hotel booked in Barcelona. Italy is beautiful in September and I'll be okay no matter what happens, and there are plenty of hotels in Italy. Of course I'll be disappointed in missing the cruise I booked 27 months in advance, but life happens.

I'm pleased to read that some people are taking this well and are enjoying Estonia. The downside is that you are missing dreamed about ports. The upside is that you are on a lovely ship with great food, comfortable beds, good service, entertainment, wifi, etc.

Good luck and I hope it works out for all of you. What a nightmare this must be for Viking.

Admire your attitude, and agree with many posters that Viking has not done a good job in handling this from a customer service viewpoint.

I would like to pick one small nit with your post, and I expect to get a bit of flack for this, but here goes. Nowhere have I seen that the ship is "unseaworthy". She may not be able to maintain full speed due to the fault in the propulsion transformer, but that does not make her "unseaworthy", she is still a safe, sound, vessel, or the class society she uses for underwriting would not allow the ship to sail from Tallinn.

Dear Viking guests & Cruise Critic members,

The situation aboard Viking Star during the July 25th departure of the Viking Homelands itinerary has been in flux during the past few days as we have attempted to communicate with guests as soon as we were aware of updates with the repair schedule and contingency plans. We originally thought that we would be able to sail from Tallinn to Bergen with guests onboard, and provided the option of either joining us on that sailing and carrying on with original travel plans from Bergen, or flying home early from Tallinn as soon as arrangements could be made. Many guests made decisions, and for those who chose to fly home at that time, Viking’s air team started making arrangements on the limited space available on flights out of Tallinn.

The next day it was determined that Viking Star would in fact not be able to sail to Bergen with guests and the remainder of the Viking Homelands itinerary needed to be cancelled. In the interest of time, we communicated to all guests what the revised options would now be: return home from Tallinn, or fly to Bergen for a hotel stay and again, continuing with original travel plans from Bergen. We did advise that available hotel accommodation in Bergen is limited. Unfortunately, due to limited hotel and aircraft space, we were not able to accommodate 100% of the guests who wanted to travel to Bergen.

Currently we have over 500 guests scheduled on charter and commercial flights from Tallinn to Bergen. These guests should now be receiving their flight information for August 4th, along with their newly created land program for their days in Norway. We understand that solidifying plans and final communications and travel schedules hasn’t happened as quickly as everyone would like, but we hope our guests understand that it takes time to make last-minute travel accommodations for all guests and to communicate the final arrangements. We sincerely appreciate everyone’s patience as we work as fast as we can to address each individual travelers needs and concerns.

Our Customer Relations team will contact all guests upon their return home. In the meantime, you can continue to work with your Viking Star crew, or you can contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises