Laundry in the Hallways, has this happened to you?

BMW325

We were onboard the Empress last week for the Western Caribbean to Key West and Grand Cayman. Although the Empress is a great little ship, one thing REALLY bothered me.

We had an inside room on level 4 (4509) and every single day, there were large laundry carts 'parked' outside our room and along the hallway leading to the room. This was not a one time event, they were always there, loaded with towels, bed linens, and worst of all - dirty laundry. I thought this was very unprofessional and very un-Royal Caribbean-like.

Is this a common practice or did we just have lazy crew members who didn't want to store these were they obviously belonged?

I don't want to seem like I am nit-picking but this really bothered me and just wasn't something I expected to see on this cruise line. I sailed for my first time on Carnival last October and this never happened.

Your thoughts?

You might have had the ship's laundry on that deck, hence the parking in the corridor as I would imagine there is limited space 'behind the scenes'. Seeing as most decks have on average 6 to 8 sets of cabin staff, each with a trolley, and they all finish together sometimes, this sort of traffic jam could occur.

Its a possibility anyway, and I have seen the same on other ships too.

I've never seen this; I suspect you had the bad luck to be placed near the ship's laundry. Still, a guest should never SEE the internal workings of the housekeeping.

Changing the subject slightly, I have seen a few rude individuals leave their full-sized baby strollers outside their doors. What an inconvenience to the other passengers!

Hi BMW325. I was on the same Empress cruise. I can't say that I saw "large" laundry carts in the hallways (we were on deck 3), but I did see various carts parked along hallways during the mornings when the attendents were cleaning up the rooms. While there wasn't one directly in front of our room, there was one usually a few doors down and the only way that ever affected us was that we had to squeeze by when passing it in the morning.

I might recall seeing a larger cart parked in a side hallway - especially one time when we were missing beach towels so I asked an attendant for a couple - I think he grabbed them off one of these carts.

But I just wrote all this off to "they have to put the laundry somewhere while cleaning the rooms". Did you say anything to any staff while you there there? I'd be interested to hear what they had to say.

Hi Kman, I don't believe these were the ones used during the day to replace towels, etc while tidying up the rooms. These were about 5 feet tall and just sitting out in the halls, sometimes up to 7 or 8 of them all along. Nobody was near them or attending them so I would suspect we were near the laundry facilities. After the maid 'stole' my pretip to our room steward on the first day, I didn't think saying anything to the staff would have done much good. But as someone pointed out, the guests should NEVER see the inner workings of the ship. I just thought it was a bit tacky.

How did you enjoy the cruise? Did you feel the 'motion of the ocean' on the last night? That was the first time I felt anything the entire trip, to the point where the room was creaking.

We really enjoyed the cruise. The ship wasn't too small and five days was just the right amount for a short vacation. I posted a (long) review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=229278

As for the motion during the last night, I'm sorry to say I missed it. I must have been sleeping pretty soundly because I recall waking up at one point and I heard the cabin creaking a lot but that was it. That morning, my wife told me she woke up and the cabin was pitching up and down really badly. I wish she had nudged me awake - I love that stuff!

I've never seen this; I suspect you had the bad luck to be placed near the ship's laundry. Still, a guest should never SEE the internal workings of the housekeeping.

Changing the subject slightly, I have seen a few rude individuals leave their full-sized baby strollers outside their doors. What an inconvenience to the other passengers!

you should see the baby stroller sale i have at the end of every cruise

We had a similar everyday incident on the Mariner. We were on deck 10, stateroom 1688, aft corner. There was a little storage room next to our stateroom and the stewards hung out there. Everyday, there were large laundry duffel bags out in the hall, along the walls. It was an obstacle course to get through them. Our children were across the hall, so we were going back and forth quite often.

I had forgotten all about them until I read this post. I guess it really didn't bother us enough to complain. ;)

I just calmly walk the stroller down to the elevator lobby and leave it under the stairwell. You know that huge empty space that you're always wondering, "I wonder what they DO with that space under there?". It's a hint to the parents. If they leave it in the narrow hallway, then they can leave it under the stairway where it's even darker.

I just calmly walk the stroller down to the elevator lobby and leave it under the stairwell. You know that huge empty space that you're always wondering, "I wonder what they DO with that space under there?". It's a hint to the parents. If they leave it in the narrow hallway, then they can leave it under the stairway where it's even darker.

maybe you should link this under the kid in dining room screaming thread

Did it ever occur to you that the stroller does not fit in the cabin? Maybe the parents should just book handicap rooms so as not to inconvenience you?:rolleyes: God knows if they didn't bring the strollers you'd be complaining about kids crawling all over, unrestrained.

You wrote that the stroller may not fit in their cabin.

Unless their cabin is the broom closet, there has to be some place in there for a folded up stroller. Strollers do not belong in the hallways. When a ship rocks or two people are trying to pass one another in those narrow halls, a stroller in the way is not the safest thing to trip over.

Think about safety and do not take it that someone is just complaining about children. That is not the issue here. Would you leave your luggage standing in the hallway for your whole cruise because your cabin was crowded?

I agree with pcur about strollers in the hallways. But them in the cabins where they belong.

Did it ever occur to you that the stroller does not fit in the cabin? Maybe the parents should just book handicap rooms so as not to inconvenience you?:rolleyes: God knows if they didn't bring the strollers you'd be complaining about kids crawling all over, unrestrained.

Well said, Alexis........and beside that, it's really a joke.

I knew that it was a joke too. ;) Anytime Folgy and kids are mentioned in the same post, it is going to be a funny one.

It is just that some people on here don't know how to have a little fun. Instead they go for the jugular vein at the drop of a word. If they were to carefully read the whole thread, they would see that it was mostly tongue in cheek.

Oh, and I do believe that strollers in the hallways are a safety issue. :p

Archived