Lobster Night on the Gem

johnsak123

I believe lobster night is the first night the ship sails. Is that correct for the Gem?

Is lobster served in both dining rooms(grand pacific and magenta) or only in one.

If so which one

Yes, a lobster dish is served in both MDRs on embarkation night on all ships except Breakaway.

I believe lobster night is the first night the ship sails. Is that correct for the Gem?

Is lobster served in both dining rooms(grand pacific and magenta) or only in one.

If so which one

thanks

JS

Yes, lobster will be served the first night out and sometimes will be served again later in the week. But the policy may have changed.

Being allergic to lobster I don't go to the MDR on lobster nights and avoid the crowd. I did go on my first cruise and was amazed to see how excited some of the passengers were.

Yes, lobster will be served the first night out and sometimes will be served again later in the week. But the policy may have changed.

Being allergic to lobster I don't go to the MDR on lobster nights and avoid the crowd. I did go on my first cruise and was amazed to see how excited some of the passengers were.

I get a chuckle out this "lobster night" thing. On our recent cruise, we were not that hungry and went to Blue Lagoon. The hostess really wondered why we would not be at the dining room for Lobster Night.

It is now a surf and turf night on the 1st night. I don't do lobster so DH had my lobster tail and I had his steak. I think we had a snack later in the evening because the tails were a bit small. I do remember really liking the broccoli that came with them though!

It is now a surf and turf night on the 1st night. I don't do lobster so DH had my lobster tail and I had his steak.

There was a reason I used the term "lobster dish" in my reply - there are two lobster dishes in NCL's 14 day menu rotation, one on menu #1 and second one on menu #8.

Although it's more usual that on the embarkation night they use the menu #1, on cruises that are suitable for B2Bs the embarkation night's menu could just as well be menu #8 where the lobster dish isn't surf and turf. I know as we just got back from a cruise where we started from menu #8 and the lobster dish on it is "Seafood extravaganza" or something like that.

Edited by Demonyte

Of all the times I sailed I never made it to lobster night. Always heard about it but never experienced it. I think because the first night we usually go to a specialty restaurant to celebrate our voyage. I think this time its lobster night for me!!

thanks

Can you also get lobster if you are doing Freestyle dining, as I am?:confused:

Freestyle dining is all there is on NCL ships - there are no alternatives to it. Just go to any one of MDRs on the first night and order away (or, if on Breakaway, to the buffet on second night).

I am a bit surprised that NCL serves lobster or 'surf-n-turf' on the first night. On most of the other lines I have cruised, they usually served it on the 'Captain's Farewell Gala' or some such thing, usually on the second to last night, often a 'formal' night as the grand finale, accompanied by the traditional Baked Alaska parade......hokey, I know, but old time cruise traditional....

• 11 months later...
It is now a surf and turf night on the 1st night.

Not anymore. :(

We sailed on the GEM last week (July 12-19, 2014) and beginning with OUR cruise, they have discontinued lobster/surf-n-turf night. No explanation - in fact, many of the crew didn't even know. Very disappointing.