Bruges on a Friday - DIY ?

FiggyWig

Hi

We are soon to have a 1 day stop at Bruges on a Friday with P & O. Generally we tend to avoid ships tours in favour of DIY, but from what I have read, getting from the Port to town sounds a little complicated with right trains, wrong trains, changing trains etc.

It's a town I have long since wanted to visit, so I'm keen to have as many hours there as possible. Anyone out there with experience of DIY in Bruges ? anything to must see, any tips to avoid ... and with P & O in particular - do you know if they provide a bus JUST to get you into town - not to show you all the sites for a VAST sum £$£$;) ?

Help / Advice very gratefully received

Fig

Bruges is a small town and easy, and very pleasant on a nice day, to see on foot. The rather expensive horse drawn buggies are good if walking is not your thing.

A taxi share would be an excellent and cost effective way to maximise your visit.

You may find this thread interesting - http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2160220

Edited by Bob++

We have pre booked a taxi van for 8 in the past

join the roll call for your cruise get a few others to share the cost of the taxi which is about 50 euro one way

just agree on a return time to meet the taxi

Just go off on your own when you get to town

Canal tour is good

Hi

... and with P & O in particular - do you know if they provide a bus JUST to get you into town - not to show you all the sites for a VAST sum £$£$;) ?

Fig

Yes, they normally provide a simple transfer. called "Bruges on your own" or similar.

But they still charge too much :D

You can get the price via your cruise personaliser, but it'll be more than sharing a taxi from the port.

And because coaches aren't allowed in the cobbled centre, ship's coach will drop you at the coach park / drop point near the Minnewater - cross over the "little red bridge" & it's a 15 minute walk to the centre. And a longer walk (or a swim ;)) back to the pick-up point if you don't carefully remember the route :D

P&O now charge for their shuttles, though it's likely to be fairly nominal from port to Blankenberg station. Problem is that the trains only run hourly & because of the shuttle you can't plan to arrive at the station at an appropriate time. Train from Blankenberg is direct & simple, costs about 7 euros return, you just have to be sure to get on the correct half of the train for the return to Blankenberg cos the train splits at Bruges. The station in Bruges is also a 10 - 15 min walk from the centre.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

There is a free bus from the station in Bruges into the town. We visited twice last year, but took our own car. It is very easy to get around on your own. You can get maps and information from the tourist office in the main square.

I think the canal boat trips were 7€ when we were there.

We have visited Bruge on our own, and it's a beautiful town for walking--very compact. Don't miss the canal cruise, the fabulous chocolate shops, and climbing the Belfry in Market Square. There are a couple of places near the Belfry to get Frites ( Belgium's version of French Fries) which are wonderful. If you like art, there are several great art museums and a beautiful church with a statute by Michaelangelo of the Madonna and Child. The Town Hall is definitely worth touring with it's gorgeous architecture and wood paneling. When you're tired of walking, grab a local Belgium beer at a sidewalk cafe and people watch. If you don't mind a bit of a walk, you can walk about 15 minutes to the outskirts of Bruge to see the windmills. Bruge is one of my favorite places in Europe, so enjoy! We'll be there again in May as one of our cruise ports on a spring TA. Can't wait!

We have pre booked a taxi van for 8 in the past

join the roll call for your cruise get a few others to share the cost of the taxi which is about 50 euro one way

just agree on a return time to meet the taxi

Just go off on your own when you get to town

Canal tour is good

Can I ask which company you booked your taxi van with?

Hi

We are soon to have a 1 day stop at Bruges on a Friday with P & O. Generally we tend to avoid ships tours in favour of DIY, but from what I have read, getting from the Port to town sounds a little complicated with right trains, wrong trains, changing trains etc.

It's a town I have long since wanted to visit, so I'm keen to have as many hours there as possible. Anyone out there with experience of DIY in Bruges ? anything to must see, any tips to avoid ... and with P & O in particular - do you know if they provide a bus JUST to get you into town - not to show you all the sites for a VAST sum £$£$;) ?

Help / Advice very gratefully received

Fig

Check out Viator Tours