Spirit Nov. 20 Adriatic Idyll & Florence Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

After two very smooth flights (the Captain never had to turn on the fasten seat belt sign until we landed), I safely arrived at my pre-cruise hotel, the Londra Palace for 2 nights to power down and get ready for this wonderful 12-night Adriatic Idyll & Florence sailing with three port calls in Italy, two each in Croatia & France and one each in Slovenia & Monaco. I booked this sailing over a year ago and I am really looking forward to it.

When visiting Venice in the past in October, it has been cool or chilly; however, this time, Venice is having a heat wave right now. Also, there have not been high winds and the tides have cooperated such that there have been no “Agua Alto” or high water warnings so all the elevated walkway segments are neatly stacked in piles along the Grand Canal walkways

Soon it will be time to leave the hotel and make my way to the San Basillio Terminal (Where I embarked on my first cruise 35 years ago), Port of Venice and embark on the Seabourn Spirit!!

More to come …

Today’s Freeze Frames:

_8000401_3_zpsd046baef.jpg

St. Mark’s Square 1 of 3

_8000399_3_zps627b6111.jpg

St. Mark’s Square 2 of 3

_8000403_3_zps411add69.jpg

3 St. Mark’s Square of 3

_8000411_3_zpsabddb887.jpg

Doges Palace Window

_8000413_3_zpsea006ad6.jpg

Gondolas Passing Underneath The Bridge of Sighs

So glad you are enjoying great weather --- hope it continues. And yes, thank yo for the posts , you are bringing back wonderful memories of our June cruise in the Adriatic. We fell in love with the Adriatic and had we not booked the April Legend Swansong we would have booked another May or June Adriatic cruise.ImageUploadedByForums1413820667.295386.jpg.0f6705ef57b84c2936ebe78aee994064.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I arrived at the Venice Cruise Terminal when Seabourn started checking n passengers around 1:30 PM. Baggage handlers were available to handle luggage at the curb and at he wharf as I arrived via water taxi. My driver and a Longshoreman from the Port Authority made certain that I did not drop any of my bags in the drink and that I safely disembarked the Water Taxi

I was immediately given the standard Norovirus questionnaire. I filled it out and gave it to the gentleman collecting the completed forms. I was then directed to the security area where there were one lane X-raying passenger carry on items. After competing this step, I was then I was then directed to board the vessel. After presenting my each ticket, passport and credit card my mug shot was taken and within a few minutes I was handed my key card. We were asked to wait in the main show lounge until the suites were ready around 2:00PM. I was very happy the embarkation formalities were handled so efficiently!

By the time I walked to my suite my checked bag was waiting for me on top of my bed right next to my suitcase entrusted to the Seabourn Luggage Valet fairy 2 weeks ago. I smiled to the luggage fairy for another job well done. With the unpacking almost complete, it was time for the compulsory passenger emergency briefing and demonstration at our muster stations.

I then finished my unpacking and got my cabin shipshape for the cruise. I'm always happy when this portion of the voyage is complete.

Upon arrival at the Restaurant, it sparkled with anticipation and just inside the door was a line of smiling waiters ready to take us to our tables. I enjoyed my embarkation dinner of poached shrimp ceviche, New York strip steak and international cheese plate. We sailed at 11:00PM (no sailaway photos & Venice was overcast all day) and I watched from my Romeo & Juliette balcony as we navigated the winding canals of Venice towards the open sea. I started to fade and decided to call it an evening. The instant my head touched the fluffy pillow and I pulled the comforter over me I knew I was back home and sea and slept soundly the entire night.

As Always, life aboard Seabourn Spirit is great.

Hi Paul,

Hope you have a fabulous cruise!! Are you staying on for the crossing???

Hi Kathryn,

I will not be on the Spirit crossing following my cruise. I just did not have the time this year. Tel Mr. B that I send my best regards.

Hi Kathryn,

I will not be on the Spirit crossing following my cruise. I just did not have the time this year. Tel Mr. B that I send my best regards.

Oh that is a shame! We are the same, it looks as though our days of very long cruises are over for a while so just the crossing for us.

Brian sends his best wishes.

Have a fabulous time and keep posting!!

Kathryn x

Koper, Slovenia is located on the strip of Istria, Slovenia's main port was an island until the 19th Century, but local history goes back much further. Called Aegita by the Greeks, Capri by the Romans and Justinopolis in Byzantine times, Koper was the influential city in the Venetian Empire and five mayors sat on the throne of the Venetian Doges. Today monuments of this golden age line the cobblestone streets of an Old Town that boasts a wealth of architecture, cultural monuments and intriguing shops.

Today, I took the tour: Ljubljana Slovenia's Best Kept Secret. Ljubljana the gorgeous capital of Slovenia is located in the middle of the country. It's rich history dates from Roman times to the present. A 1-1/2 hour scenic drive from the port in Koper brought us to Ljubljana, which is nestled in a basin between the Karst and alpine regions of Slovenia. Don't be fooled by the outer ring of this little city, which grew up in the area of utilitarian Soviet-style architecture, for it hides a true national treasure — Ljubljana's absolutely beautiful Baroque-style Old Town.

The Old Town is comprised of a stunning collection of houses, shops, businesses that meanders along the banks of the Ljubljanica River, which in turn is Chris-crossed by a series of quaint pedestrian bridges and flanked by wide, tree-lined walkways. We then followed our guide on a walking tour that let us pass the Town Hall in the stunning Robba’s Fountain (which was being restored) — considered the city's soul during the Middle Ages. Next we saw the open-air market and then enjoyed a riverboat cruise for a waterside perspective of the area. From the water we passed the Dragon Bridge, the Cobbler's Bridge, magnificent Art Nouveau mansions, and some of the masterpieces designed by world-renowned architect Joze Plecnik.

After disembarking the river cruise, we then had lunch at a popular Slovenian restaurant. We then had about an hour of free time to browse for shopping or, in my case, taking photographs in the city center and then it was time to board the coach for the return journey to the ship. Since I was sitting for about 3 of the 7 hours of this walking tour, I managed to do 45 minutes of deck walking around Deck 8 before we sailed onward to Ancona, Italy.

Headlining the after dinner show in the Amundsen Lounge was comedian Al Brown who says “I am a observationist not a comedian”. The bulk of his material is based on his observations of everyday life. I enjoyed the show and was well-received by the audience.

Today’s Freeze Frames:

_8000421_zps4b1178bc.jpg

Typical Ljubljana Architecture

_8000423_zps06a216b4.jpg

Ljubljanica River From Cobblers Bridge 1 of 2

_8000425_zpse35fcbf3.jpg

Ljubljanica River From Cobblers Bridge 2 of 2

_8000429_zps16026f87.jpg

Mahogany Door

_8000437_zps2a8965ba.jpg

Mallards at River’s Edge

Glad to hear that all is shipshape aboard the Spirit. We join for the crossing; who are the Captain, Hot Man and MDH? Enjoy!

I can only speak to who is on board now as there might be changes in Barcelona. Captain is Stig Betten; Hotel Director is Manfred Jordan; Maitre d´Hotel is Filipe Ribeiro.

A few others that may be of interest: Executive Chef is John Pugh; Bar Manager is Roland Nema and Cruise Director is Suzanne Gayle.

Sounds like you have a great crew-- but then aren't most of them on Seabourn.? Roland was recently with us on the Legend and left in Sevilla for a quick two week holiday. Suzanne was our CD on or Adriatic cruise on the Spirit in June. Love the pics of Koper --- that was one port we did not get to.ImageUploadedByForums1413986679.695816.jpg.50143004ca1d6214ad608c5906067b1e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1413986631.237618.jpg.cf64690b68e3030150c813a7e01ac245.jpg

The Adriatic port of Ancona, is a major terminus for ferries connecting Italy's La Marche coast with Croatia and Greece. Architectural features include the impressive 2nd century Arch of Trajan and a 12th century Gothic cathedral with an interior colonnade of 10 columns originally appropriated from a Greek temple of Venus.

Due to very high winds, the Captain felt it was too risky to even attempt to dock at Ancona and said the weather system affecting us in Ancona is also affecting the weather at Sibenik, Croatia. So the Cruise director sprang into action and retooled the daily program for a day at sea. All day yesterday we had Force 8 (out of 12) winds and very rough seas causing both pitching up and down, rolling from side to side or a combination of both. Quite a few passengers were ill; however, I was a good sailor and was just fine.

Things took a turn for the worst during the Noontime position and weather report as the forcasted bad weather could possibly cause a cancellation of the port call at Sibenik as well. However, the seas had calmed down quite a bit by dinnertime and the Variety show featuring all the entertainers after dinner was just great.

After the show, CD Susan reported that the captain was 95% certain that we would be able to tender in to Sibenik and would not be 100% certain until we arrived on-station for his assessment.

Todays’ Freeze Frame:

_8000467_zps9f81fd7b.jpg

Gordo The Crab — A Gift From My Sweet Suite Stewardess Anita (check out them golden peepers)

Hi Paul--so nice to see you back on board again. Will you be on Spirit's last crossing (St. Maarten-Barcelona) next March? I am thinking about and would love to sail with you again. Please continue to share your journey and photos.

All the best, Winnie

Peachy ~So happy to hear you are back and sailing with us!

Winnie

I am thinking of booking a TA Spring Crossing.....not sure as to what "Yacht!"

Bob, Jim, Phillip & Doug (Dallas) Eric & Peter (Seattle) and Martha (West Texas)

will board Oct 27th ~arrive Barcelona on the 26th ~the ship was a big sell out so lots of Seabournites will be there! Can hardly wait to see smiling faces~passengers & Crew!

Paul....thanks ever so much for sharing your fantastic voyage with us!

Pinkie

Sibenik lies in the middle of the Croatian Adriatic coast, at the mouth of the Krka River, one of the most beautiful karst rivers in Croatia. Limestone mountain crests, small valleys and striking plateaus characterize this scenic region. A picturesque town, Sibenik was originally built on a small island, surrounded by a high wall and towers. The historical old town of Sibenik is rich in cultural and historical monuments. The most representative among them is the famous cathedral of Sibenik, an important architectural renaissance building listed as a UNESCO world heritage site. Today, Sibenik is the administrative, political, economic, social and cultural center of a country, which stretches 62 miles along the Croatian Riviera between the Zadar and Split.

Today I took the 7-hour Best of Split & Diocletian Palace tour. Today's Split is the product of 17 centuries of building, renovating and remodeling, so that the new meshes with the old almost imperceptibly. At the core of this sprawling cityscape is the old town of Split, set on the UNESCO world heritage site palace of Roman Emperor Diocletian. It was built at the turn of the 4th century and what began as an imperial residence and fortified camp is today an intriguing warren of narrow cobblestone streets.

Pre-Romanesque churches live alongside gothic chapels, history-filled museums abut galleries of contemporary art, and delicious aromas waft from restaurants, which compete with bustling cafés for the attention of passers-by.

Our walking tour began with a visit to the cellars of the palace, which are incredibly well preserved. The cellars offer a good view of how life in Diocletian's Palace was organized. We also visited a very interesting cathedral of St. Duje (Patron Saint of the city). It is built on the remains of an ancient shrine and supposed to be the oldest in the world. We then saw the charming Temple of Jupiter, the Golden Gate and the Silver Gate and Peristyle Square. We had a wonderful lunch at a local taverna and spent some free time in the city center exploring on our own and taking pictures before returning to the ship.

After returning to the Spirit, due to the generously portioned lunch, I did about 45 more minutes of walking on Deck 8. It was a long, but productive day and I really enjoyed this excursion. Hence it was an early night for me.

Freeze Frames:

_8000469_zps4e8d3bf5.jpg

Enroute To Split

_8000473_zps62e5e4b6.jpg

Diocletian Palace As Designed

_8000474_zps48de7695.jpg

Three Styles of Architecture From The Ground Up

_8000480_zpsc6753684.jpg

Old Blends In With The New 1 of 4

_8000482_zps612d2e6d.jpg

Old Blends In With The New 2 of 4

Photos Continued in my next post…

_8000483_zps04820267.jpg

Old Blends In With The New 3 of 4

_8000484_zps70874d5f.jpg

Old Blends In With The New 4 of 4

_8000485_zps65628684.jpg

Marble Needing Repair

_8000492_zps9adbcfb3.jpg

Roof Destroyed Eons Ago (space had excellent acoustics demonstrated by Acapella Singers)

_8000515_zpsf8685fea.jpg

Door Frame Embellishment

Founded in the 7th century, Dubrovnik rose to greatness as a merchant state, independent republic and cultural crossroads. The traffic-free Old Town has been called a Croatian Athens. This UNESCO designated world heritage site is a living museum of the ages with fortifications, chapels, monastic cloisters and Europe's second-oldest synagogue crowded into its ancient walls. Imagine relaxing at a sidewalk café, listening to the chimes of the 14th century bell tower or join the promenade down the palace-lined avenue known as the Stradun.

Today shore excursion was the Dubrovnik cable car ride and stroll through the old town. Since we were able to dock a short distance away from the city and after a short bus transfer to the lower cable car station we boarded the newly restored Dubrovnik Cable Car and after a 4-minute ride we were at the top of Srdj Hill. The magnificent city of Dubrovnik rests at the foot of the hill and is visible below. The original Dubrovnik Cable Car was built in 1969 and was a favorite among visitors and locals who wanted to enjoy a beautiful view of Dubrovnik’s Old Town and the surrounding area. When the war began in 1991, the cable cars were used to transfer more than 2.5 million people out of the city to the top of the Srdj Hill. It was later destroyed in the war and remained out of service until a recent total restoration.

After a short orientation tour atop the hill, we made the most of some free time taking in the majestic view and of course take photographs! It was cold and the wind was quite brisk up there. The return cable car ride brought us to the Ploce Gate at the eastern entrance to the Old Town of Dubrovnik, near the old harbor.

This is where our walking tour began. We strolled along the Stradun—the main street of the Dubrovnik. We then saw the Dominican church in the 15th century Rectors Palace, which used to be seat of the government for the and once-independent Republic of Dubrovnik (abolished by Napoleon in 1808). We then saw the cathedral, built on the remains of the old cathedral that was destroyed in 1967 by an earthquake, Sponza Palace, noble for its columned courtyard with elaborate stone carvings, the church of St. Blaise and Onofriou’s Fountain near the drawbridge at the Pile Gate.

Next we visited the Rupe "Granary" Museum which preserves and illustrates the cultural heritage of the Dubrovnik region. Enhancing our experience was an archaeologist who accompanied us during the tour and provided insights to the history of Dubrovnik and the importance of the Rupe Museum for the economy of the Republic from the 16th to the 19th centuries. Finally, we enjoyed some free time in the Old Town to explore further at our own pace. After a short stroll to the transfer bus station I returned to the ship for lunch.

Also in port with us were the Megaships MSC Preziosa and Celebrity Equinox. Both these ships required 12 each full-size tour busses while the spirit only required 2 tour buses and the shuttle bus to the city gate. Needless to say, this resulted in a monster traffic jam while the Old City was literally packed with people.

Today’s Freeze Frames:

_8000547_zps85d2b6e2.jpg

Seeing Through & Reflections From Tour Bus Next to Us

_8000550_zpsfcf7666b.jpg

Windstar Ship At Anchor

_8000551_zps2200ca1d.jpg

Walled City 1 of 6

_8000552_zps67b7ebb0.jpg

Walled City 2 of 6

_8000553_zpsb4c53fb4.jpg

Walled City 3 of 6

Now a sun-bleached provincial capital, Siracusa was once one of the most prestigious cities in the known world. Founded in the eighth century BC by settlers from Corinth, Siracusa gradually grew in prestige to rival Athens and was considered the Western capital of the Magna Graecia. In the Greek world dictators, often called tyrants, exercised unlimited power over colonies like Siracusa. Although often unpleasant people, they also patronized poets and artists and competed to bring intellectuals to their courts. Siracusa was home to Archimedes, Plato and Aeschylus during its height of power and prestige

Today's visitors come to marvel at the remains of the ancient structures, reminders of the past glory and rich history of the area. The city is superbly situated at the head of a beautiful bay and enjoys a mild climate. The coastline to the south is renowned for its beauty, clear waters and evocative mythical scenery. There are romantic abandoned coves and wide, sandy beaches not easily matched anywhere else in Italy.

Today, I decided on the 7-hour Mount Etna and Catania tour. This full-day excursion offers a visit to Mount Etna and the town of Catania. The Captain told us the night before that we would be tendering ashore at this port and upon arrival we found out why — The Windstar Sea Cloud II beat us there. I was also amazed that Seabourn elected to offer this tour with only 12 passengers plus one of the Shore Excursion assistants in a full-sized coach.

After departing the pier by motor coach we had a brief sightseeing overview of Syracuse before we headed off to Catania. Upon our arrival, a short sightseeing tour of the town by motor coach reveals some of the town's highlights. We then stopped near the Piazza Duomo the to view the Cathedral, Fish Market (which was closed on Sunday but a few vendors were selling selling their catch as well as a couple others selling fruits and vegetables), University and historic center with its unique architecture.

Then we continued on the one-hour drive to Mt Etna and the lower crater Silvestri area, where we stopped at the viewpoint, which lies at an elevation of approximately 6,600 feet. With its slopes soaring to 11,000 feet, Mt. Etna is Europe's largest active volcano. Our guide told us that earlier in the week it snowed and completely covered the top of the mountain.

Unfortunately, the Silvestri crater area was completely fogged in with visibility of about 15 feet and patches of snow on the ground. It was chilly with no wind (unlike the cold and very brisk winds on the Dubrovnik cable car upper terminus). There were no railings or path markers on the crater ridge and, since I have never been there before, I started to become a little disoriented. I started to go on an offshoot of the pathway and it started to go down in elevation and I said to myself “I don’t remember this” and then heard voices so I backtracked and as I walked towards the voices, the visibility cleared and I could see that I was almost back at the start of the path.

We then stopped for lunch at a nearby restaurant before the return drive back to the ship. We arrived just as the final tender from ashore arrived and we went back to the Spirit. After sitting for the lion’s share of the tour time, I did some brisk power walking to give myself some energy to get ready for dinner.

At dinner I was a guest at the hosted table of Guest Chef Douglas Psaltis (who has been giving cooking demonstrations and allowing the attendees to sample his dishes) and his lovely wife. After dinner was the “Rock The Boat” show, which was performed in The Club due to cold temperatures outside. The Entertainment team did a great job! It was a long day, so back to my suite for another restful journey to Seabourn Slumberland.

Syracuse Freeze Frames:

_8000577_zpsac4d0d47.jpg

Syracuse Harbor 1 of 4

_8000578_zps62786317.jpg

Syracuse Harbor 2 of 4

_8000579_zps0f002ebf.jpg

Syracuse Harbor 3 of 4

_8000583_zpsc7767a4c.jpg

Syracuse Harbor 4 of 4

_8000587_zps779bf3dd.jpg

Catania Outdoor Market Fruits & Veggies I of 2

_8000588_zps9ddd734d.jpg

Catania Outdoor Market Fruits & Veggies 2 of 2

_8000589_zps6b9d2f0b.jpg

Catania Outdoor Market Catch of the Day

_8000592_zpsfb928757.jpg

Catania Piazza Duomo 1 of 3 — Cathedral

_8000593_zps52260599.jpg

Catania Piazza Duomo 2 of 3 — Roman Era Monument

_8000597_zps0bd3b948.jpg

Catania Piazza Duomo 3 of 3 — Happy Balloons

_8000609_zps52432729.jpg

Mount Etna Silvestri Crater 1 of 5

_8000610_zpsce98c246.jpg

Mount Etna Silvestri Crater 2 of 5

_8000613_zps687fb71e.jpg

Mount Etna Silvestri Crater 3 of 5

_8000615_zpsb7d4ef7b.jpg

Mount Etna Silvestri Crater 4 of 5

_8000617_zpsc2a51b0d.jpg

Mount Etna Silvestri Crater 5 of 5