Sleeping over ???

Ashland

We will be cruising with our family and the first for our grandchild (will be 17 mos). Have any of you had any experience (problems) with your cabin steward when letting the child sleep over in the cabin with the grandparents and not in the cabin the child is booked in on an occasional night or two (we're on different decks unfortunately)..to give Mom & Dad a break.:confused:

I don't think it'd be an issue. We've played musical beds before and the stewards really didn't care (or know really). Only issue I can think of is in regards to safety...with the muster stations, and if your grandson is in a different station if an emergency were to happen onboard. At the same time though, this was with kids over 16 years old, and there wasn't the worry of a young child. I'd personally say just to be safe have your grandson stay with his parents overnight, but maybe just take him up until his bedtime for the nights the parents want a break? Say they were going to a special restaurant, just take him then and entertain him while they have their own "alone time".

The cabin steward won't care, provided that they don't need to set up a separate crib or anything like that. They don't come and check to see who is sleeping where and emergencies are really so rare that I wouldn't worry about them. Take the baby and let the parents enjoy their night.

The cabin steward won't care, provided that they don't need to set up a separate crib or anything like that. They don't come and check to see who is sleeping where and emergencies are really so rare that I wouldn't worry about them. Take the baby and let the parents enjoy their night.

Wouldn't ask them (stewards) to do anything for these occasional nights..We would either turn the loveseat around or use the pack-n-play, handling everything ourself..

Will work out whatever is the easiest for all concerned...

Also not concerned about possible emergencies and muster stations, we would do whatever is necessary if and when...

Just wanted to know if other's have done the sleepover and if it has worked :confused:

Thank you so much. :)

My grandson's first cruise. He was around 1 YO. We board the ship and shortly after we get a knock on the door. It's the room steward. He's got the crib we ordered. Huh? Crib, what crib? Well, he says, your daughter said you wanted a crib in your room so you could babysit LOL. She was in the next mini suite to us. But each night he did turn down service on the crib (chocolates and all) and every morning fix the crib up. It was pretty funny.

It is not an issue at all. Let's face it, lots of adults find other places to, ummm, sleep then the cabin they booked. As long as there are extra cribs they shouldn't have any issues with bringing one to your cabin. It worked out great for us. When the baby took his nap grandpa sacrificed and took his own nap.

Thank you all so very much...for all your support...this is such a big deal for all of us as it's our first ever cruising with an infant...and we're learning so much...but still have so many more questions.

We've opted to purchase him also the CARES system since he will have his own seat on the plane...trying to avoid bringing the carseat if possible...Our itinerary is (Alaska northbound) LAX-YVR & ANC-LAX or BUR.

Again many thanks and would appreciate any more input you all might think of in regards to "anything" for this milestone trip

I would bring your own baby sheets. The cruise line's might be a rougher then tiny skin will like and it reduces the risk of an allergic reaction. Princess used a regular blanket in the crib so you might want to bring your baby blanket as well. Cross pack baby stuff. You don't want to get on board with no supplies. We put diapers in all the cubby holes around the suitcase including the other areas. They make a diaper disposal bag that you can get to hold in the odors. Bring all baby drugs and devices you think you might need because you can't get them on board or port - and even if you could you need them NOW not when the stores are open.

Not sure what cruiseline you are going on but on Princess if you contact them in advance and tell them what food jars you need the will accommodate for free. You just choose, 3 chickens, 2 carrots.... that kind of thing. I believe their brand is Gerber. I've heard other lines provide as well, but some charge. The water on board is fine for mixing formula. Think about what you would take for any baby outting and just add more stuff LOL.

I would bring your own baby sheets. The cruise line's might be a rougher then tiny skin will like and it reduces the risk of an allergic reaction. Princess used a regular blanket in the crib so you might want to bring your baby blanket as well. Cross pack baby stuff. You don't want to get on board with no supplies. We put diapers in all the cubby holes around the suitcase including the other areas. They make a diaper disposal bag that you can get to hold in the odors. Bring all baby drugs and devices you think you might need because you can't get them on board or port - and even if you could you need them NOW not when the stores are open.

Not sure what cruiseline you are going on but on Princess if you contact them in advance and tell them what food jars you need the will accommodate for free. You just choose, 3 chickens, 2 carrots.... that kind of thing. I believe their brand is Gerber. I've heard other lines provide as well, but some charge. The water on board is fine for mixing formula. Think about what you would take for any baby outting and just add more stuff LOL.

Thanks so much..have already considered and noted your advice..Our grandson will be 17 mos. so by that time he will not be needing formula or babyfood...We are cruising RCI and they offer much to those traveling with infants that I have read about and checked into on my recent cruise in October. Our other grandchildren were much older when they started to cruise..but this is the youngest and so a very new experience.

I have raised 5 children (now adults 31-45) and it amazes me how much things have changed...or so it seems. I keep telling them with the limited knowledge we had then, it's amazing they all survived :D

Archived