Fitness classes on board

PurpleHays

I was wondering what kinds of fitness classes are offered and what they would cost. I'm going to miss my normal form of working out for three weeks and that will be tough, so I thought I'd try something new while on board. If I know the potential costs, I can budget OBC and see if DH is interested.

There are both free and pay classes on board. Spinning classes are about $10-12. A couple of others are the same. There is ab sculpting, stretching and several others that are free. They also have Zumba although I don't think everyday. Wish I could be more specific but I don't partake in them. I typically like to walk outside 5-6 miles on the promenade deck and then hit the weight machines in the late afternoon.

You didn't say what sort of workout you're looking for.

There is, of course, a free-to-use gym, including weight machines, treadmills, and free weights. If all you want to do is some aerobics and lifting, that's easy.

If you're an early riser, there's generally a free stretching class at 7:00 am, followed by an abs workout at 7:30, also free. Zumba classes, assuming there's a certified instructor onboard, are also free. I once did a Pilates class (which cost money) and found the instructor second rate, but trainers are given a lot of leeway as to what and how they teach. Even on the same ship, I've found one trainer's abs sessions to be much tougher than the other's.

Port days usually result in major cutbacks in class schedule, and classes do vary from ship to ship. I also recall that buying a series of classes costs less per class. Also note that spinning bikes (and Pilates equipment, if any) can not be used except during classes.

Classes are not listed in the Patter any more; you have to go down to the gym to see what they offer and to sign up for for-pay classes.

Hope that helps.

Edited by shepp

I was just trying to find out what kinds of classes are offered. I ice skate for fun and exercise, so that's not an option. I want to do some yoga (I love it when I can remember to do it between work and near-full-time school) and try pilates. I do have lung issues, so endurance/running/spinning are pretty much out since I ether need low key or the ability to pace myself.

Thanks for your answers. They are helpful. :)

• 1 month later...

I was on the Island Princess for the Sep. 25 - Oct. 12 Panama Canal cruise. There was a yoga class every Sea day. There were 2 different instructors who alternated days. The cost was $12 per class.

Yoga they have on Sea Days - $10-$12 for class or you can buy a pkg at a discount (I have even seen early morning beach yoga on a port day)

Boot Camp/Cross Fit type classes are also offered- at least they were on the CB- These were more expensive than the yoga classes.