New England/Canada Port Shopping

schoolisout

We are going to be in Portland, Rockland, and Bar Harbor Maine, Halifax, Prince Edward Island, and Sydney the middle of September. We've never been in this part of the country before. We have always cruised the Caribbean. When we are in the ports, will there be shopping (commericial and/or native) at the ports, like in the Caribbean? We don't normally do excursions and just enjoy walking around the shopping areas. In doing my research and checking out Tom's Port Guides, it looks like there might not be much to shop at, like the ports I'm familiar with. Thanks!

Yes there will be shopping. I can speak best for Halifax where you will find lots of shops with local wares at your cruise terminal. If you wander along the waterfront there will be some more. Another great shop to check out is Jennifers of Nova Scotia on Spring Garden Road.

You can have a great day in Halifax just strolling around. This map will give you an idea: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Canadian+Museum+of+Immigration+at+Pier+21,+1055+Marginal+Rd,+Halifax,+NS+B3H+4P7/Historic+Properties,+Upper+Water+Street,+Halifax,+NS/Jennifer's+Of+Nova+Scotia,+5635+Spring+Garden+Road,+Halifax,+NS+B3J+1G5/Halifax+Public+Gardens,+Spring+Garden+Road,+Halifax,+NS/@44.6443981,-63.5828188,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a224a3072acdd:0x17e3719543389b20!2m2!1d-63.565167!2d44.638346!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a23cdde91758d:0x146f612d42a616ee!2m2!1d-63.572493!2d44.650602!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a2233ce4fd06f:0xc61799398b3aa9c6!2m2!1d-63.578069!2d44.642858!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b5a2231f9520e19:0x2eb894172eda5102!2m2!1d-63.582017!2d44.642972!3e2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1989879

http://www.halifaxseaport.com/pdfs/HPA%20VisitorSiteMap_Eng_July%2012.pdf

http://www.destinationhalifax.com/experience-halifax/things-to-do

In Charlottetown you will dock right in the city and can walk to shopping areas. However PEI is famous for its beaches, pastoral scenery, fishing villages and Anne of Green Gables so there is lots to miss if you stay in Charlottetown.

For Sydney it would be a shame for you to not get out into the beautiful countryside (Baddeck or Louisbourg or part of the famous Cabot Trail.)

Edited by maryann ns

Halifax is a wonderful port with waterfront shopping and restaurant areas right as you get off ship. Also Bar Harbor ports right at main street shopping and eating areas. I do think Bar Harbor was a tendered port, but plenty of tenders coming and going, so easy to get off and back on the ship. Really loved both of these ports and absolutely no excursion would be needed if you did not want to book one!

I've done more than a little shopping on many Canada/NE cruises. I've enjoyed browsing in the tourist etc shops in Bar Harbor (there are plenty of them right across from where the tenders dock.)

In Halifax, there is some shopping right in the terminal and lots of it along the boardwalk which begins just about at the parking lot at the cruise ship terminal.

Portland has some very interesting shopping and plenty of it. They have done a nice rehab of that city and it's a nice port. Be sure to have lobster for lunch. :)

Charlottetown, PEI has tons of shopping. There is a very neat, well 'groomed' park area and then tourist shopping area a short walk from the cruise terminal. There are crafts etc sold in the terminal. Also, a very pleasant walk to downtown Charlottetown will take you to more stores and then you can look for the underground shopping area. Due to the severe winters, being able to shop inside below ground level in winter is practical but we always wandered around on our cruises.

That should give you plenty of shopping choices. :)

Do not expect the Caribbean Atlantic Canada. Boston is a very sophisticated city rich in education, medicine, art, hospitality, music museums, history, professional sports....... I'm not sure why you think we'd be like the Caribbean seeing we certainly do not have Caribbean weather. :D

Native shopping? We are Americans and Canadians. :)

You have booked a wonderful itinerary. Hope you really enjoy it.

Edited by sail7seas

If you haven't been to the area before, there are plenty of things to see and do in each town without purchasing expensive excursions. For instance, the first time we went to Halifax, we toured the Public Garden, visited the Parliament for a free guided tour, went to the maritime museum (to see the Titanic artifacts), ate a delicious lobster lunch at a restaurant, and took the brewery tour. Everything was within walking distance of the dock.