What do cruise ship lifeboats look like in use?

In the oil field, we used to have 64 man boats, and the seats were arranged in a lower tier and upper tier. Only the upper tier had seatbelts, but the guys in the lower tier were "held in place" by the legs of the guys in the upper tier being over their shoulders. We tried to fit 64 normal sized oil field hands, in survival suits, into the boat, and could only get 56 by jamming them in like a clown car. Lifeboat capacity is based on a 75kg person.

Is survival suit an immersion suit or are these ones thermal insulated as well?

One wonders if a cruise ship lifeboat can fit the numbers rated. Some I've seen (on HAL's Zaandam) are 110 for tendering use, 150 for evacuation use.

That lifeboat I have pictures of are rated for 40 persons. Not bad for a ship rated for 39 persons (only 28 on our sailing) and there are 2 lifeboats (in addition to 4 20-person rafts and a few smaller ones).

Is survival suit an immersion suit or are these ones thermal insulated as well?

One wonders if a cruise ship lifeboat can fit the numbers rated. Some I've seen (on HAL's Zaandam) are 110 for tendering use, 150 for evacuation use.

That lifeboat I have pictures of are rated for 40 persons. Not bad for a ship rated for 39 persons (only 28 on our sailing) and there are 2 lifeboats (in addition to 4 20-person rafts and a few smaller ones).

"Survival suit" is the slang term we use for immersion suits. No, they are not thermally insulated, and regardless of the manufacturer's claims, you will almost always get wet inside the suit, but the neoprene fabric allows body heat to "warm" the water against your skin somewhat.

As I said, lifeboat capacity is based on a 75kg person (upped a couple years ago from 67.5kg), and the seating space is 18" side to side and 24" front to back (knees to butt). Normal sized people generally have to alternate leaning forward and sitting upright to get their shoulders to fit.

Cargo ships with side mounted lifeboats are required to have 200% lifeboat capacity, while center mounted free-fall boats only require 100%.

"Survival suit" is the slang term we use for immersion suits. No, they are not thermally insulated, and regardless of the manufacturer's claims, you will almost always get wet inside the suit, but the neoprene fabric allows body heat to "warm" the water against your skin somewhat.

I did try on the one in my cabin. Supposedly good for someone up to 2m (6'6") and 100 Kg (220 lbs) but I can't imagine someone of that weight fitting in that unless just having a dense, muscular frame. The ship's manual does tell one to bring and wear as much warm clothing as possible to layer. It's just a big baggy wet suit.

As I said, lifeboat capacity is based on a 75kg person (upped a couple years ago from 67.5kg), and the seating space is 18" side to side and 24" front to back (knees to butt). Normal sized people generally have to alternate leaning forward and sitting upright to get their shoulders to fit.

I didn't think of it now but that seems ludicrously light, at least for North Americans. FWIW, the average Canadian male weighs a tad under 82 Kg (179 lbs) and female 66.8 (147 lbs) - though reality seems to indicate it is 3 Kg more. For the U.S., it is just under 89 Kg (196 lbs) for men and 75.5 (166 lbs) for women. FWIW, average heights are virtually identical at 5'9" and ~5'4" respectively.

Cargo ships with side mounted lifeboats are required to have 200% lifeboat capacity, while center mounted free-fall boats only require 100%.

Redundancy (as with the self-freeing life rafts) as we were told by the safety officer in case the ship is listing. Makes you wonder what would happen on a cruise ship under the same circumstance.

I did try on the one in my cabin. Supposedly good for someone up to 2m (6'6") and 100 Kg (220 lbs) but I can't imagine someone of that weight fitting in that unless just having a dense, muscular frame. The ship's manual does tell one to bring and wear as much warm clothing as possible to layer. It's just a big baggy wet suit.

I didn't think of it now but that seems ludicrously light, at least for North Americans. FWIW, the average Canadian male weighs a tad under 82 Kg (179 lbs) and female 66.8 (147 lbs) - though reality seems to indicate it is 3 Kg more. For the U.S., it is just under 89 Kg (196 lbs) for men and 75.5 (166 lbs) for women. FWIW, average heights are virtually identical at 5'9" and ~5'4" respectively.

Redundancy (as with the self-freeing life rafts) as we were told by the safety officer in case the ship is listing. Makes you wonder what would happen on a cruise ship under the same circumstance.

The whole idea with a cruise ship is that the passengers would be mustered (this is the purpose of the passenger muster, accountability, not getting to the boats) appropriately early, and the boats launched early. As I've said, when the passengers leave on the boats, the crew is still at their fire and emergency stations trying to cope with the emergency. Their lifesaving appliances (rafts) are much more forgiving of vessel's listing.

Even the Concordia, which did not list more than 15* until it finally grounded, managed to get 23 of 26 lifeboats launched.

That would mean that they are now certified lifeboatmen. This is somewhat unusual, as on most ships the crew assigned to the lifeboats have some training onboard, but are not SOLAS certified lifeboatmen. International crews use the fact that most deck and engine officers have lifeboatmen certificates that can be used to meet the legal requirement for the proper number of lifeboatmen, but those officers would not be anywhere near the boats in an actual emergency. The USCG does not allow this "gaming" of the system aboard the Pride of America, so she has way more lifeboatmen than are actually required. I hope that this instance may show that the other flag states are tightening up their requirements.

Thank you for all the fascinating information you give us.

The cruise we were on was 28 days from the UK to the Caribbean and back, so there were 18 sea days in all for lectures, and 10 islands for lifeboat practice. The training crew were based in Southampton, and were using this longer cruise to train P&O hotel staff.

Edited by jocap

• 1 month later...

I'm cruising for the first time to Bermuda at the end of the week and have spent many hours going through these board forums preparing.

I'm curious. How many people do these lifeboats take? When I see some of the megaships sailing (4000+ pax), there's got to be other lifeboats around apart from those you see hanging on the ships, right?

Sorry. Newbie question. Be kind, please. :)

Also, I watched the video shared at the beginning on the Disney. Seems like they were very slow going. I am guessing in the event of a real emergency, things will move pronto!

I'm cruising for the first time to Bermuda at the end of the week and have spent many hours going through these board forums preparing.

I'm curious. How many people do these lifeboats take? When I see some of the megaships sailing (4000+ pax), there's got to be other lifeboats around apart from those you see hanging on the ships, right?

Also, I watched the video shared at the beginning on the Disney. Seems like they were very slow going. I am guessing in the event of a real emergency, things will move pronto!

Except for the biggest ships, the lifeboats hold 150 each. On the bigger ships, the lifeboats hold up to 250 each. That said, yes, there are additional life rafts. Here is a picture of one during crew training ...

UG_zpsfcc9d856.jpg

They are stored in racks onboard the ships in a protective white case. You can see them on the right side of these two picture from two different Royal Caribbean ships ...

DSC_8005_zpsm7igko7k.jpg

H3_zps7baaa9e0.jpg

Actually, on ships like the Oasis, the boats are sized for 370 persons, about16 of which are crew.

Some ships, notably Princess and HAL have Marine Evacuation Systems for passengers, and these are very large life rafts that you enter via a vertical chute. For most ships, there are enough lifeboat seats for all the passengers.

For the most part, life rafts are for the crew, not the passengers. When the passengers leave the ship in the boats, except for the 2-3 crew assigned to each boat, the crew is still at their emergency stations, so they don't evacuate at the same time.

I can't see the video, but much of what you are seeing and thinking is slow would be going on before the passengers are brought to the boats, or while the passengers are mustering. The objective is to always have the passengers mustered and accounted for long before the Captain has any thought of actually putting them into the boats.

Edited by chengkp75

Actually, on ships like the Oasis, the boats are sized for 370 persons, about16 of which are crew. Two of these lifeboats would equal the passenger capacity of the first cruise ship I was on.

Some ships, notably Princess and HAL have Marine Evacuation Systems for passengers, and these are very large life rafts that you enter via a vertical chute. I would like to see them upgrade to the system used by the Enterprise. I know there have been many Enterprises. I am referring to the one Captains Kirk and Picard shared.

For the most part, life rafts are for the crew, not the passengers. When the passengers leave the ship in the boats, except for the 2-3 crew assigned to each boat, the crew is still at their emergency stations, so they don't evacuate at the same time. Unless the crew member is the captain of the Concordia.

I can't see the video, but much of what you are seeing and thinking is slow would be going on before the passengers are brought to the boats, or while the passengers are mustering. The objective is to always have the passengers mustered and accounted for long before the Captain has any thought of actually putting them into the boats.

As I recall, Captain Sparrow wanted the men to get into the boats, but Captain Barbossa overruled Captain Sparrow.

Edited by Cuizer2

Except for the biggest ships, the lifeboats hold 150 each. On the bigger ships, the lifeboats hold up to 250 each. That said, yes, there are additional life rafts. Here is a picture of one during crew training ...

UG_zpsfcc9d856.jpg

They are stored in racks onboard the ships in a protective white case. You can see them on the right side of these two picture from two different Royal Caribbean ships ...

DSC_8005_zpsm7igko7k.jpg

H3_zps7baaa9e0.jpg

Thanks for the very interesting info and photos. Now, I feel MUCH better seeing those other life rafts that don't look like life rafts, stored. :)

Actually, on ships like the Oasis, the boats are sized for 370 persons, about16 of which are crew.

Some ships, notably Princess and HAL have Marine Evacuation Systems for passengers, and these are very large life rafts that you enter via a vertical chute. For most ships, there are enough lifeboat seats for all the passengers.

For the most part, life rafts are for the crew, not the passengers. When the passengers leave the ship in the boats, except for the 2-3 crew assigned to each boat, the crew is still at their emergency stations, so they don't evacuate at the same time.

1 lifeboat for 370 people? Wow!! That's a BIG one. I am going to be very serious at the muster drill. My kids too! Yep. Probably a newbie thing. Kinda like taking a good look at the emergency video every time we board a plane. :)

1 lifeboat for 370 people? Wow!! That's a BIG one. I am going to be very serious at the muster drill. My kids too! Yep. Probably a newbie thing. Kinda like taking a good look at the emergency video every time we board a plane. :)

Not a newbie thing, just a smart thing. I've been going to sea for40 years and still pay attention at drills. The person most responsible for your safety is looking back at you in the mirror.

Not a newbie thing, just a smart thing. I've been going to sea for40 years and still pay attention at drills. The person most responsible for your safety is looking back at you in the mirror.

Being a vampire, I don't have a reflection. :(

chengkp75 or Cuizer2.

Do you have comments on the recent tragedy with the Norwegian Breakaway in Bermuda? One of their "man overboard" boats broke loose during a drill (?) I don't understand how that can happen...

PS - thanks for the great information + humour here.

chengkp75 or Cuizer2.

Do you have comments on the recent tragedy with the Norwegian Breakaway in Bermuda? One of their "man overboard" boats broke loose during a drill (?) I don't understand how that can happen...

PS - thanks for the great information + humour here.

There is a thread on this topic on the NCL forum where I have posted my thoughts on this, still working on the phone so can't get links, but search my posting history. Wire failure in the marine environment is common, especially without notice, which is why the wires are required to be renewed every 5 years. But failures still happen.

There is a thread on this topic on the NCL forum where I have posted my thoughts on this, still working on the phone so can't get links, but search my posting history. Wire failure in the marine environment is common, especially without notice, which is why the wires are required to be renewed every 5 years. But failures still happen.

Yep. I found the thread. Very interesting comments from those of you who know about all these mechanical things. I was watching the Port Bermuda Webcam the day the accident happened. I did not watch for long but wondered why there were sirens that kept going and going in the background while the camera was focused on the ship. Later on in the evening, when I checked back in, I saw the news of the accident. I thought Willy Freeman and his port crew gave a wonderful tribute to the fallen crewman at the sailaway....

couple of comments

- in my part of the Maritime business the launching and recovery of small boats at sea was a bread and butter task ... basic to our everyday operation. A primary job was enforcing law at sea and this means doing boardings at sea and this means putting boarding teams into small boats to get there. As Captain I ALWAYS KNEW that small boat operations were near or AT the top of the list of most dangerous operations we routinely conducted. We practiced OFTEN despite doing it often for operations. I'm talking about doing it for 4 hours a day several times a month while on patrol ... operations permitting .... lower the boat, disconnect, connect, raise the boat .... do it again As a sad aside one of the more recent USCG deaths that occurred during cutter operations was an accident during small boat recovery.

- WRT cruise ship life boats. As you see them puttering around for practice and exercise consider this .... how would you like to BE on one? Crowded? SOLAS approved a new system with the advent of the OASIS class. Seems during the design process it was determined that the ship wasn't long enuf to accommodate all the lifeboats required for the planned pass' load which up to then said a lifeboat should accommodate no more than 150 persons. (I simplify the issue). A new system was approved. The lifeboats on OASIS (and approved for use by others) accommodate 370 persons. Now imagine being on one of those boats with 369 'friends', shoulder to shoulder, butt to butt! I know "cruise ships" that carry fewer and trust me, the life boat does not have a lido deck, bar or buffet!!!!! http://www.rina.org.uk/mega-lifeboat.html

couple of comments

- in my part of the Maritime business the launching and recovery of small boats at sea was a bread and butter task ... basic to our everyday operation. A primary job was enforcing law at sea and this means doing boardings at sea and this means putting boarding teams into small boats to get there. As Captain I ALWAYS KNEW that small boat operations were near or AT the top of the list of most dangerous operations we routinely conducted. We practiced OFTEN despite doing it often for operations. I'm talking about doing it for 4 hours a day several times a month while on patrol ... operations permitting .... lower the boat, disconnect, connect, raise the boat .... do it again As a sad aside one of the more recent USCG deaths that occurred during cutter operations was an accident during small boat recovery.

- WRT cruise ship life boats. As you see them puttering around for practice and exercise consider this .... how would you like to BE on one? Crowded? SOLAS approved a new system with the advent of the OASIS class. Seems during the design process it was determined that the ship wasn't long enuf to accommodate all the lifeboats required for the planned pass' load which up to then said a lifeboat should accommodate no more than 150 persons. (I simplify the issue). A new system was approved. The lifeboats on OASIS (and approved for use by others) accommodate 370 persons. Now imagine being on one of those boats with 369 'friends', shoulder to shoulder, butt to butt! I know "cruise ships" that carry fewer and trust me, the life boat does not have a lido deck, bar or buffet!!!!! http://www.rina.org.uk/mega-lifeboat.html

Yes, I've frequently posted that lifeboat capacity is based on a 75kg person, and the seating area is 18" wide and 24" from front of knee to back of butt. Folks on CC have commented on how the Oasis boats have a "bathroom", and I have to inform them that it has a "toilet" but not a "bathroom", so modesty goes overboard. While the typical cruise ship lifeboat has a crew of 2-3, these monsters have 16 crew assigned. Google "Marine Evacuation Systems" for a real hoot as Princess and I believe HAL have some of these for passenger use as well as crew. Compared to these, the lifeboats are the Queen Mary.

Yes, I've frequently posted that lifeboat capacity is based on a 75kg person, and the seating area is 18" wide and 24" from front of knee to back of butt. Folks on CC have commented on how the Oasis boats have a "bathroom", and I have to inform them that it has a "toilet" but not a "bathroom", so modesty goes overboard. While the typical cruise ship lifeboat has a crew of 2-3, these monsters have 16 crew assigned. Google "Marine Evacuation Systems" for a real hoot as Princess and I believe HAL have some of these for passenger use as well as crew. Compared to these, the lifeboats are the Queen Mary.

Are you referring to the one docked in Long Beach?

It's not so much that launching in rough seas is dangerous, provided you are not planning on getting the boats back onboard the ship. As I said before, it is the recovering of lifeboats, particularly in any kind of seaway, that is extremely dangerous. Training by definition would mean recovering the boats.

I spent some time in small boats in the Navy and even when one is using a system designed for recovery of the boat getting back onboard in rough seas can be quite interesting. I have a good number of gray hairs from a few of those recoveries. As always appreciate your insights into these topics.

It's not so much that launching in rough seas is dangerous, provided you are not planning on getting the boats back onboard the ship. As I said before, it is the recovering of lifeboats, particularly in any kind of seaway, that is extremely dangerous. Training by definition would mean recovering the boats.

will second that , a crew member on the golden so i heard got knocked by the hook when they were trying to hook up a tender at akaroa on my cruise the wind had picked up and was fun enough for us on the last tender back getting back onto the ship