Mexican Riviera cruise questions

cruising mickey

Hello all,

Have been looking at the different cruises to the Mexican Riviera and have narrowed it down to Carnival or Princess - which would be better?

I'm not sure if we'll be able to afford a 7 night cruise, so which combination of islands would be best for a 5 night cruise - cabo san lucas, Puerto Vallarta or mazatlan?

Thanks in advance

The only 5 day cruise I see is on Dec 17 on the Ruby Princess (great ship). There are a couple of 6 days on the Carnival Miracle that go to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. The vast majority of the short cruises are 3 or 4 days and the only place they go in Mexico is Ensenada. So to answer your question (sort of) I would prefer Princess because the Carnival ship that runs most of the short itineraries is the "Imagination" one of the smallest and oldest ships in the Carnival fleet. The Ruby Princess has a lot of alternate dining choices, and a great pool deck.

First of all, none of those ports are islands. Each port has some similarities (all Mexican flavor) and activities differ on each. If you want to zip line, then go to Puerto Vallarta. If you want to visit old Mexican town, then Mazatlan. If you want upscale resorts or down to earth drinking holes then Cabo, there is more to Cabo than those things but wanted to make a point, it all depends on what you like to do.

DougMacP has giving you good advise. I agree that Princes has a better reputation. But if you love to party then Carnival maybe a better option. Only you can answer that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does depend deeply on what you enjoy for a cruise. Party, party, party would be Carnival, if you want a little more upscale classic cruise experience go with Princess.

As for ports, Puerto Vallarta is by far our favorite! So much so that we have moved there for most of the year. It is the gay mecca of Mexico with 25 gay bars, gay beaches and resorts, too. Mazatlán has an old town that is VERY SMALL in comparison to PV's Old Town and not gay friendly. It's not unfriendly like Jamaica but is no PV for sure. PV also has the classic cobble stone streets, hills, some of the best restaurants in the world, as well, although depending on your itinerary you may only get to enjoy lunch in them.

Cabo is a relatively new town built around a marina and made for rich folks and all-inclusive resorts. There are a couple of nice beaches to hang on, once you take a water taxi to them, or you can get a day pass at one of the many resorts. Any excursions will take you out of Cabo.

Also, look closely at times spent in each port. Carnival actually does do some overnights in PV so you could get off and come and enjoy the many bars and nightlife! Not every week but they do have some. Princess was only in Cabo 8a-3p and as it's a tender port that doesn't give you very long. Whereas when

I worked on Disney we would do 2 days in Cabo, so every line does not do the same itinerary, look closely.

It does depend deeply on what you enjoy for a cruise. Party, party, party would be Carnival, if you want a little more upscale classic cruise experience go with Princess.

As for ports, Puerto Vallarta is by far our favorite! So much so that we have moved there for most of the year. It is the gay mecca of Mexico with 25 gay bars, gay beaches and resorts, too. Mazatlán has an old town that is VERY SMALL in comparison to PV's Old Town and not gay friendly. It's not unfriendly like Jamaica but is no PV for sure. PV also has the classic cobble stone streets, hills, some of the best restaurants in the world, as well, although depending on your itinerary you may only get to enjoy lunch in them.

Cabo is a relatively new town built around a marina and made for rich folks and all-inclusive resorts. There are a couple of nice beaches to hang on, once you take a water taxi to them, or you can get a day pass at one of the many resorts. Any excursions will take you out of Cabo.

Also, look closely at times spent in each port. Carnival actually does do some overnights in PV so you could get off and come and enjoy the many bars and nightlife! Not every week but they do have some. Princess was only in Cabo 8a-3p and as it's a tender port that doesn't give you very long. Whereas when

I worked on Disney we would do 2 days in Cabo, so every line does not do the same itinerary, look closely.

We have great friends that moved to PV recently from Key West and LOVE it there. Can't wait to see them in October. If you happen to meet two very southern guys when you are out and about (one has dark hair one tall and very blonde) tell them Frank and Loren miss them!