Dover to Brussels

Gradyguy

We arrive in the port of Dover on June 28th. Our son and his wife are living in Brussels and we want to get there the best way possible. I imagine taking a train to the nearest station that will get us to the Eurostar to Brussels is the ideal, but we have no idea which station we should take the train to, to connect with the Chunnel train.

Thanks for any help from those who live in the UK or who have done this route.

We arrive in the port of Dover on June 28th. Our son and his wife are living in Brussels and we want to get there the best way possible. I imagine taking a train to the nearest station that will get us to the Eurostar to Brussels is the ideal, but we have no idea which station we should take the train to, to connect with the Chunnel train.

Thanks for any help from those who live in the UK or who have done this route.

you need http://www.eurostar.com

Ashford is the station where you will pick up service to Brussels

It's about 20 miles from Dover to Ashford-there will be local trains/buses from Dover but with luggage a taxi might be easier

Only one train per day to Brussels stops at Ashford.

Normally that's at 7.30am, too early for your ship's arrival in Dover. But your date is a sunday - on sundays the one train per day that stops at Ashford is at 6.28 pm.

A non-amendable pre-booked ticket for that train (and since that's the only suitable train, non-amendable is the one to buy) costs just £39.

Pricing is fluid, prices can go up significantly the closer you get to the date.

Alternatively you can take a cross-channel ferry from Dover to Calais for £25, & take Eurostar from there for £32. Currently sundays from Calais show trains at 11.02 (very probably you won't make it to Calais in time for that one) and 3.02pm. That would get you to Brussels about 4 hours earlier, & give you a relaxed 90 minute ferry crossing, at the cost of a marginally higher total fares & some schlepping of your bags.

Eurostar timetables & tickets are only available from 26 weeks out, so it'll be about 5 weeks before you can confirm time & price - those I've quoted are for May, 2015.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I don't know if this is an option, but could they come and pick you up from Calais? (its only about a 90 min drive) Then you could travel as a foot passenger on one of the cross channel ferries, which I think is about £25. Just a thought.

Simon

Depending on domestic and Eurostar schedules for then, another possibility is train from Dover Priory to Ebbsfleet International, and then Eurostar from Ebbsfleet International to Brussels.

The being-picked-up-at-Calais option isn't unrealistic. Earlier this year, some friends came over from Brussels to London for the day - drove to Calais, got the ferry to Dover, drove to London, stayed for about 4 hours and then drove home via the same route.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so sorry for the late thanks....out of town. The replies were very helpful, and we are considering which advice to take. We will check with the kids from Brussels when they are here Christmas, and ask for a pickup in Calais if they can do it:):)

Paula