london marriott hotels

rocklinmom

I am looking at three Marriott hotels in London for my family next summer - the Grosvenor Square (near Park Lane), St. Ermin's (near St. James Park), and County Hall (on the South Bank by the London Eye). All have comparable rates, and we need two rooms for the five of us (yikes). I am wondering about which might be more family friendly (for older children), and which have the best location in terms of walking to sights and accessing family-friendly restaurants. Anyone with experience at any of these hotels, I would appreciate any advice.

I can only speak for St. Ermin's. The hotel itself is very attractive, and I believe had been recently renovated. The lobby and tea room are beautiful, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Best of all is it's location. It is around the corner from the St. James Park tube station, and the hop on hop off bus stop is a few steps more.

We were there 3 nights, but didn't need to use the tube. In one direction is the Abbey, Parliament, and Whitehall. In the other direction is Buckingham Palace- all within very close proximity to the hotel. One day we used the HOHO bus. There are also a few pubs/restaurants in the area and a coffe shop.

An interesting note....we found out that the hotel was once used as a meeting spot for MI6 agents. My DH learned of this from one of the staff, and we recently saw it on a PBS special.

We would stay at St. Ermin's again.

Thank you speedyjane! Since my teenage son is a huge Jason Bourne fan, I'm sure he would be very interested in the MI6 once meeting there. That is a big plus. Great to know about the close tube station and HOHO bus stop also. I appreciate the information.

Rocklinmom,

If you have Google Earth, you can work a path from each hotel to the sights you are interested in. It will tell you the distance to each in miles.

London is a great place with so much to see. I'm sure you will enjoy your trip.

Anita

• 1 month later...

Regents Park has normal American family rooms. Near Swiss Cottage underground and an Overground rail station going directly to Harry Potter World station and bus. It started as a Holiday Inn. If you are Marriott Gold you get access to the club room with great breakfast and evening canapes.

Taxis have a hard time finding it, take a printout with map.

• 3 weeks later...
I am looking at three Marriott hotels in London for my family next summer - the Grosvenor Square (near Park Lane), St. Ermin's (near St. James Park), and County Hall (on the South Bank by the London Eye). All have comparable rates, and we need two rooms for the five of us (yikes). I am wondering about which might be more family friendly (for older children), and which have the best location in terms of walking to sights and accessing family-friendly restaurants. Anyone with experience at any of these hotels, I would appreciate any advice.

We have stayed at JW Marriott at Hyde Park and couple of different times. Great location, clost to all attractions. Loved it.