Travel to Galveston OK?

sailor_jimc

Hi All-

Anyone in the Houston/Galveston area able to tell me if there is any flooding issues on I-45 down to Galveston?

Have a cruise this weekend and if we need to take a different route it would be good to know now.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All-

Anyone in the Houston/Galveston area able to tell me if there is any flooding issues on I-45 down to Galveston?

Have a cruise this weekend and if we need to take a different route it would be good to know now.

Thanks in advance.

Galveston is OK, but getting there could be a problem. heavy rain, road closures are North of the city so if you are coming from the north check the local news abc13 they have a list of road closures.

Depends on where you are coming from ;)

At this moment, most of the freeways are clear, you just may not be able to enter/exit in some locations. The Houston/Galveston area is under flash flood warning until tomorrow night right now, and that will likely be extended based on the forecast throughout the weekend. Google Houston Transtar before you go for real time traffic map and lists of locations closed due to flood, incident, construction, etc.

Have a wonderful trip, and please, bring some sunshine back to Texas, m'kay?

Thanks All!

Will be coming from Dallas so will be on I-45. As long as the highway itseld isn't flooded I should be ok. There are a couple of spots along the way (up in Navarro County that currently show extreme heavy traffic, but those may just be accidents. I checked TXDOT and it did not have any closures due to flooding reported. (thanks for the transtar reference, that was very useful..)

Galveston is getting pounded right now. Channel 11 said there would be street flooding in the usual low spots, like the Strand, near the pier. Once the rain stops it should drain off quickly.

You can check Houston area road closures due to high water at Houstontranstar dot com

There are lots of road closures on the frontage roads I-45 north of the city and on 59 frontage roads but the main lanes are OK.

As long as you stay on the freeway you'll be fine. 45 at Hardy has slightly flooded recently, far right lanes. But nothing impassable. Most of the rain should be today, some tomorrow, hopefully ending by Saturday. Dry up Sunday...fingers crossed. Be sure you have a full tank of gas so you won't have to get off the freeway.

As long as you stay on the freeway you'll be fine. 45 at Hardy has slightly flooded recently, far right lanes. But nothing impassable. Most of the rain should be today, some tomorrow, hopefully ending by Saturday. Dry up Sunday...fingers crossed. Be sure you have a full tank of gas so you won't have to get off the freeway.

We just did this drive 3 weeks ago and the advice to have a full tank of gas is a good one. Fortunately we knew about the traffic and had filled up before we got there. The weather was perfect but the traffic on a Saturday from Houston to Galveston was terrible. I45 is under construction and it was closed while they moved some equipment (we think). And regular Houston traffic was bad. It took us 90 minutes to go 30 miles.

The good news is that at least today with all the rain there most likely will not be construction.

I live in Galveston and it rained off and on most of the morning. We had several flood warnings via emergency service on tv all day but it never got that bad. Here, the neighborhood streets flood and do not run off quickly. If it rains hard for even 45 minutes, the water comes up into our garage, and the driveway in front is slanted UP! If you stick to the main streets like Broadway, should not be a problem. In other words, when approaching from I-45, don't get off on Harbourside, which is probably a map quest pick. That road will be flooded if it is indeed flooding. I-45 just becomes Broadway and you can turn, say about 24th Street Left and be almost on top of the port. Check the weather to see if we have gotten a lot of rain. Myself, if I were coming from North Texas I would take I-10, before Houston, towards, Louisiana, East, Baytown, take Hwy 146, you will almost pass Baytown, it will take you to I-45 South just a few miles from Galveston. Less traffic, scenic, you will go over several bridges on Hwy 146, and pass the Kema Boardwalk. We live about a mile from the port. In fact, I can walk about 3 blocks from my house and see the ships. If you go to Galveston.com you can click on web cams in real time that show the port and other places. Also, there are people leaving comments on the page about cruise related things. Geez! I left to look at the local weather and now that I am back can't remember when you are leaving. So, my info may be too late for you but maybe might benefit someone. Supposedly still lots of rain coming, but, I'm sure you know it's never that accurate. Not raining on my area now, but says it is. Have a safe trip and a great cruise!:)

I live in Galveston and it rained off and on most of the morning. We had several flood warnings via emergency service on tv all day but it never got that bad. Here, the neighborhood streets flood and do not run off quickly. If it rains hard for even 45 minutes, the water comes up into our garage, and the driveway in front is slanted UP! If you stick to the main streets like Broadway, should not be a problem. In other words, when approaching from I-45, don't get off on Harbourside, which is probably a map quest pick. That road will be flooded if it is indeed flooding. I-45 just becomes Broadway and you can turn, say about 24th Street Left and be almost on top of the port. Check the weather to see if we have gotten a lot of rain. Myself, if I were coming from North Texas I would take I-10, before Houston, towards, Louisiana, East, Baytown, take Hwy 146, you will almost pass Baytown, it will take you to I-45 South just a few miles from Galveston. Less traffic, scenic, you will go over several bridges on Hwy 146, and pass the Kema Boardwalk. We live about a mile from the port. In fact, I can walk about 3 blocks from my house and see the ships. If you go to Galveston.com you can click on web cams in real time that show the port and other places. Also, there are people leaving comments on the page about cruise related things. Geez! I left to look at the local weather and now that I am back can't remember when you are leaving. So, my info may be too late for you but maybe might benefit someone. Supposedly still lots of rain coming, but, I'm sure you know it's never that accurate. Not raining on my area now, but says it is. Have a safe trip and a great cruise!:)

Great info for whenever we trek down to Galveston again. Thanks for sharing