Birthday in Paris?

Ladydee

We have a Friday and Saturday to spend in Paris in September, and Saturday happens to be my husband's birthday. I'm looking for some special ideas that may or may not include dinner. (Yes, I will check on Trip Advisor as well, but am very comfortable on the CC boards :))

Someone suggested dinner on the river cruise, but I'm wondering about doing the two separately, so that the sights don't distract me from the dinner or vice versa. I'm quite into photography, so once on the river, I feel I'll want to be snapping pictures.

Dinner at Jules Verne? Sounds lovely, but I don't think we want to spend quite that much money. A good, moderately expensive restaurant is doable though.

Also, I have booked the Hotel Observatoire Luxembourg to give you an idea of our home base. (Any comments or feedback on that are also welcome)

Thanks so much!

SO interesting reading this! We'll be in Paris for a week (Sept 26th to Oct 4th) before a river cruise (Oct 4th - 11th) and will celebrate DH's birthday in Paris on the 27th!!!!!

He decided he wanted to return to his favorite Paris restaurant (only been there once in 2010!) Bofingers!!! Some months ago he tried to make reservations but their books weren't open that far in advance so he went on their facebook page and had a confirmed reservation within a day!!! Its in the Bastille area. In 2012 we stayed near the Saint Michel metro station and it was fast to the restaurant, only one fast train change as I remember. Ovely restaurant, great service and wonderful Alsatian food - great reviews on Trip Advisor and also here on CC. But a reservation is needed!!

Bofinger - Traditional Brasserie in Paris, Bastille

Just a suggestion since Paris is filled with fabulous restaurants! We're also thinking of a dinner cruise this year but haven't made reseervations yet.

A special day is great - but all depends on what you like to do! You could begin with a visit to a museum (for DH I'd choose the Musee de l'Armee but then he's an historian!!) or to an open market - Saturday at Marche Edgar Quinet could be coupled with Tour Montparnasse 56 (might be the ulgiest building in Paris but offers great views!)

Tour Montparnasse 56 - Accueil

or visit one of the great churches or just a walk through one of the great Paris areas. Afternoon you could take a river cruise and then off to a special dinenr!

Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be a special day!!!!

Have you been to Paris before?

I got a great deal for dinner at the Hard Rock Café on Halloween, it was awesome.

But, I would have loved to do the Moulin Rouge, it is PARIS.

http://www.viator.com/Paris-attractions/Moulin-Rouge/d479-a576

We also did the Bat-O-Bus rather than dinner on the Seine. It was great that you can get on and off like a Hop On/Hop Off bus, only it's a boat. Great for photos and seeing the different sights of Paris.

http://www.batobus.com/english/

Have a great trip!

We have a Friday and Saturday to spend in Paris in September, and Saturday happens to be my husband's birthday. I'm looking for some special ideas that may or may not include dinner. (Yes, I will check on Trip Advisor as well, but am very comfortable on the CC boards :))

Not sure about your mobility or interests, but my favorite celebratory thing to do in Paris was an evening bicycle tour that took us to all of the lit up monuments around town on a fun tour. We never could have found our way to all those places on foot, and got some great pictures of everything lit up.

The tour ended with wine and cruise on the Seine.

What an AWESOME night! Can't wait to do it again this year!

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into the restaurants mentioned. I like the idea of the HOHO boat.

No, I have never been to Paris, but my husband has... on business, so he didn't see very much.

The bicycle tour also sounds fun, and might be an idea for our Friday night, but I think I'm more in the mood for a romantic, dressed up evening on Saturday. SO, as I'm typing this, I'm thinking that dressy heels will mean taxis or limited walking... hmm.

You did not say what interests your husband but a special evening might include attending the opera at the Opera Bastille --- there are several September performances. It is a marvelous place. And if he is not into opera check out the calendar for other performing arts. And please, whatever you do do not dine at the Hard Rock Cafe --- there are so many wonderful little bistros in Paris that will give you a wonderful meal with a sense of place. And one of the most romantic things to do in the evening is to take a walk alone the Seine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree, the Hard Rock Cafe would be awful and not at all French. The food at the river cruise will be mediocre. Do the cruise, but forget the dinner and spend your time looking at the sights instead of eating.

This is a city filled with wonderful restaurants. Look at recommendations in:

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Restaurants/Restaurants-Paris-75000-Ville_de_Paris-France?strLocid=32NDJ2dDM1NzUwMDAxMGNORGd1T0RVMk9EUT1jTWk0ek5URXdOdz09

Edited by marazul

I have spent quite a few holidays in Paris including my birthday one year by chance,but I am a wanderer not to so set in my ways when I am in Paris because there is so much to see and do and eat.As mentioned before do not eat dinner on a cruise as you can do so much better re food elsewhere. I always stay in the 1st Arr (area like a zipcode in Paris) and I know that area well,but like other plenty of places to eat all one has to do is read the menu's posted by the front.If this is a biigie birthday I suggest Le Taillevent in the 8th Arr. It is $$$$,and you would have to make a reservation now(if you can get one) for dinner,BUT you can always have a nice luncheon as well instead which is easier to do at some of the restos.Jules Verne can generally be a years wait with a reservation,but luncheon not so much.There are small restos that have great meals without all the fuss,and I am sure there are some very good one on the Left Bank where you are staying.No matter what you do just enjoy enjoy enjoy,check things out so you can plan you next trip to Paris!!!

One of the most magical dinners we enjoyed in Paris was at Le Bon Accueil (located near the Eiffel Tower.).We had a wonderful dinner at a table outside with a view of the Eiffel Tower. All of the sudden it got even better ---the lights on the tower started twinkling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Although less frequently now, some Paris restaurants are closed on Satrudays, so be certain to check/ reserve whichever restaurant you are choosing. The last bateaux mouche departs Point d'Alma about 11pm [check schedule] and this is a lovely time to enjoy the lights of the city after the birthday dinner.