Alaska Cruisetour with Celebrity or tour on our own?

gregg4

Looking to cross off Alaska on the bucket list. Since we are flying from east coast trying to decide if we should take a Cruisetour with Celebrity or cruise with Celebrity and arrange our own land tour or AAA for a land tour. I know it will be simpler but more expensive to go the cruisetour with Celebrity. What have you done? What makes most sense? How long a land tour? What should we not miss! Thanks, I know lots of questions. Just starting to plan.

If you want to know what other travelers have done .... read thru the trip reports and photo journals posted in the STICKYs above. :) There are cruise tours and DIY land trips. ( for 2013 start with reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline.) Trip reports are a great place to find first hand recommendations for excursions, activities, lodging etc.

I would also suggest that you borrow some Alaska travel books from your library. Learn about various destinations in Alaska and the sights/activities available so that you can make an informed decision about what YOU want to see and do.

I posted a list of resources this morning on another thread ... look down the page to the Cruisetour vs DIY thread.

Edited by mapleleaves

I too recommend you get familiar with Alaska touring and find out where YOUR preferences are. There is no "standard, one size fits all recommendation". I also suggest you not just look at the "regular" stops which would be Denali. I can't stress enough- find out what this area is about. http://www.nps.gov/dena Random speaking with visitors this year, confirmed the lack of knowledge most people have. It isn't enough to just "go" to Denali, you need to get IN to it, and way too many cruise tours do not. As a comparison- would you make a Disneyland trip and plan on not getting past Main Street? This equals some cruise tours. IF it doesn't matter to you, then go elsewhere.

Do not underestimate time and distance, go for as long as you can afford. (a common mistake people make)

It sounds like you are willing to do some planning, with this in mind, a cruise tour may or may not be the right choice for you. I will say, you see the least on a cruise tour, with point to point group touring missing a significant amount of highlights in between.

Most CC people recommend the DIY, but I loved our RCI Cruise tour. The Guides were great. They did all the driving on comfy busses with bathroom. We met some amazing people in our group. The hotels were A-1. My DH would not have done as much on our own. We were in Alaska an extra day to do what we wanted, that was not offered on the tour.

We were on RCI Radiance of the Seas, but Celebrity tour was every where we were.

Check out my blog: http://lclavette1.blogspot.com/2014/05/vancouver.html

Have fun planning.

We considered do it yourself for next June when we were 2 couples. But, when they backed out we booked the 5B with Celebrity before their 7 night southbound cruise. It goes where we want and we thought it would be more fun being with a group of people. Also, felt my husband could do/see more without having to drive everywhere.

Most CC people recommend the DIY, but I loved our RCI Cruise tour. The Guides were great. They did all the driving on comfy busses with bathroom. We met some amazing people in our group. The hotels were A-1. My DH would not have done as much on our own. We were in Alaska an extra day to do what we wanted, that was not offered on the tour.

We were on RCI Radiance of the Seas, but Celebrity tour was every where we were.

Check out my blog: http://lclavette1.blogspot.com/2014/05/vancouver.html

Have fun planning.

Really enjoyed your blog! We are doing the celebrity pre cruisetour 5B in June. Do you happen to save anything listing the optional tours on your land tour? Was it easy to upgrade to the tundra wilderness tour?

Thank you!

Really enjoyed your blog! We are doing the celebrity pre cruisetour 5B in June. Do you happen to save anything listing the optional tours on your land tour? Was it easy to upgrade to the tundra wilderness tour?

Thank you!

You booked the Natural history tour? Celebrity, in the past was not known to upgrade. Verify this directly with your booking agent. If you can upgrade, you likely will need to have 2 nights at Denali Park. As with only one night, many times you can't fit the 8 hour tour in. Check your times and make sure.

If Celebrity won't give you credit for the NHT, then you will have to determine, if you are willing to make changes, if possible, on your own. You can exchange tickets for a small fee, but if you aren't there 2 nights, then likely won't have enough time to do so, plus the issue in June of sold out buses.

You might want to work out all these details now, if an issue.

You booked the Natural history tour? Celebrity, in the past was not known to upgrade. Verify this directly with your booking agent. If you can upgrade, you likely will need to have 2 nights at Denali Park. As with only one night, many times you can't fit the 8 hour tour in. Check your times and make sure.

If Celebrity won't give you credit for the NHT, then you will have to determine, if you are willing to make changes, if possible, on your own. You can exchange tickets for a small fee, but if you aren't there 2 nights, then likely won't have enough time to do so, plus the issue in June of sold out buses.

You might want to work out all these details now, if an issue.

We have 2 full nights. We get the Natural History tour for free. Confirmed with several celebrity people and a few past guests that you can upgrade, but not until you meet your tour director in Anchorage the first day. That makes me a little nervous :(

We have 2 full nights. We get the Natural History tour for free. Confirmed with several celebrity people and a few past guests that you can upgrade, but not until you meet your tour director in Anchorage the first day. That makes me a little nervous :(

Sorry, the NHT is not "free" you have paid for it. You also will be paying for any upgrade. Since you claim to have confirmed you can upgrade, there is nothing much more you can do. As you claim, you will need to be certain to verify with the tour guide that you get the upgrade booked.

I'd be VERY nervous about leaving it so late. The shuttle to Eielson is only $35. I'd spring for a shuttle ticket NOW rather than risk being shut out entirely.

(spoken by someone who arrived at Denali without a reservation and had to wait 2 days for a seat on a bus, and even then we only got to Toklat. The 3rd day we got to Eielson.)

Edited by mapleleaves
now

I experienced a lot of sold out shuttle buses as well this past July. Not uncommon. Probably plenty of sold out Tundra Wilderness tour buses as well. I know every one I passed, looked full.

For full information, hopefully this poster has some ability to get around on their own along with the willingness to do so. This would open up more options to include the shuttle buses.

I would suggest, they meet that tour guide, early and get their request in first. They are only going to have one day for Denali touring and there are only so many seats on the buses. If they "upgrade" through this guide, will likely only involve the buses stopping at their lodge.

I experienced a lot of sold out shuttle buses as well this past July. Not uncommon. Probably plenty of sold out Tundra Wilderness tour buses as well. I know every one I passed, looked full.

For full information, hopefully this poster has some ability to get around on their own along with the willingness to do so. This would open up more options to include the shuttle buses.

I would suggest, they meet that tour guide, early and get their request in first. They are only going to have one day for Denali touring and there are only so many seats on the buses. If they "upgrade" through this guide, will likely only involve the buses stopping at their lodge.

Yes the natural history tour is already paid through my tour and I can pay to upgrade. I know makes me nervous, but can't upgrade until arrival.

Without a car, do I have any options to get to the bus to Eielson from my lodge?

Thank you, sorry to be hijacking this thread!

Yes the natural history tour is already paid through my tour and I can pay to upgrade. I know makes me nervous, but can't upgrade until arrival.

Without a car, do I have any options to get to the bus to Eielson from my lodge?

Thank you, sorry to be hijacking this thread!

Have you looked at http://www.nps.gov/dena ? This has the buses clearly detailed.

So you are open to going on your own?

Your lodge will have transportation to the Visitor Center and Wilderness Access Center. The Wilderness Access Center is where the shuttle buses leave from. IF you can get your NHT ticket from your guide- right when you get there the night before, you could possibility, change this over to a shuttle bus ticket. BUT a lot of "ifs".

Your "upgrade" will cost you more than just buying another Eielson shuttle bus ticket, so probably the way to go. Before you get on the bus, you can also get refunded for the park admission, since you have already paid this on your cruisetour. (have all the paperwork with you).

You would likely have time to book shuttle tickets after your lodge opens in April/May. Then you can call them and get the exact shuttle details. In the past there have been cab options. I would have this arranged and confirmed in advance, if using a cab. Be very aware of time, with being at the WAC at least 45 mins. ahead. With shuttle buses, you do have to bring all your food and drink. There is a limited selection at the WAC, if you don't make other arrangements.

I know makes me nervous, but can't upgrade until arrival. So skip the last minute upgrade and book your own ticket via the Park reservation site ... Eielson is only $35. Plus it goes a little further than the TWT and it goes to an interesting destination. I think reservations open in Dec or Jan.

Your lodge probably runs a shuttle to the Park ( might be free, might be $10).

If you're able, it's about a 35-45 minute walk on a flat, well worn path.

The Denali Salmon Bake has run a free shuttle the past few yrs. Check their web site.

You can pick up a sack lunch /drinks from any hotel or Subway the night before or morning of.

Edited by mapleleaves

Your lodge probably runs a shuttle to the Park ( might be free, might be $10).

If you're able, it's about a 35-45 minute walk on a flat, well worn path.

The Denali Salmon Bake has run a free shuttle the past few yrs. Check their web site.

You can pick up a sack lunch /drinks from any hotel or Subway the night before or morning of.

The Salmon Bake isn't free. It is $5 one way. It's also a limited schedule.

Does this poster know where they are staying?

We just booked the Tundra Wilderness Tour and ate the cost. Getting the time you need can be difficult on short notice. Go to the Denali NP website. IMHO the NHT is a waste of time ( unless you are traveling with children since the time required for the other tours is too long for them). If you do leave from the Wilderness Access Center, make sure you give yourself lots of time. The line to pick up tickets can be long and the que for the tours forms early. We like to be on the driver side of the bus.

We just booked the Tundra Wilderness Tour and ate the cost. Getting the time you need can be difficult on short notice. Go to the Denali NP website. IMHO the NHT is a waste of time ( unless you are traveling with children since the time required for the other tours is too long for them). If you do leave from the Wilderness Access Center, make sure you give yourself lots of time. The line to pick up tickets can be long and the que for the tours forms early. We like to be on the driver side of the bus.

Thank you! Were you on a cruisetour or traveling on your own?

Nope :(

Why don't you call and ask what the lodging options are?

Then see where the closest pick up point is for the Salmon Bake Shuttle.

http://www.denaliparksalmonbake.com/shuttle_schedule.html

Some hotels offer shuttle service to the park, some offer service to the stores at Glitter Gulch. Or maybe you'll be able to walk to the park from your hotel.

Why don't you call and ask what the lodging options are?

Then see where the closest pick up point is for the Salmon Bake Shuttle.

http://www.denaliparksalmonbake.com/shuttle_schedule.html

Some hotels offer shuttle service to the park, some offer service to the stores at Glitter Gulch. Or maybe you'll be able to walk to the park from your hotel.

The Lodges used by the cruiselines for their cruise tours, all have shuttle buses around Denali, that I know of. The Salmon Bake does have a few pick ups, but doesn't go to any of the large lodges.

The point with using the shuttle buses and not having your own transportation- is to be sure of the schedules and be conservative with your bus time selection.