Floatplanes to Misty Fjords...smooth or rocky?

pklein9747

We're headed to AK next May and are considering a floatplane ride with Island Winds to Misty Fjords and a Glacier stop. Quite a few years ago we took a small plane from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon and I have never been so scared in my life. The plane dipped and rocked and dropped and I thought we were going to die (On the other hand, my husband was cool as a cucumber even on the way back through a thunder storm!) I swore I would never ride in a small plane again; yet, I don't want to miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

My question: how smooth are the floatplane rides to Misty Fjords? And yes, I know, this could be like asking how smooth are the seas when you cruise, but I want to be comfortable with my decision and not dread it.

Thanks.

My question: how smooth are the floatplane rides to Misty Fjords? And yes, I know, this could be like asking how smooth are the seas when you cruise...

It is unfortunately exactly like asking how smooth are the seas when you cruise - it depends on the day.

I have been on a lot of flightseeing in Alaska. If you were "scared" one time, have you had any more flying experiences since then? Are you not "scared" now? Frankly, I have been on too many flights with people who shouldn't have been flying, in Alaska. :) Just stating, from this point of view. Yes flights do up and down, you can get on planes that dip in and out of fiords. Most also land in the fiords which involves narrow "enclosed" areas on lakes etc.

Flights are not for everyone. As I mention, I have seen this first hand several times, including a major one this year. In that case, this person was not suitable for flying before they even on got the plane.

My flight was with ProMech instead, but we had a great pilot and a very smooth flight. No turbulence at all. And the weather gods smiled upon us - the only clouds to be seen were strategically placed for maximum photogenic scenery impact <grin>.

Jim

We took the Island Wings float-plane with Michelle this past September to see the bears. My husband gets very nervous in small-planes but even he said the ride was fabulous. We could hardly feel the touchdown in the water. PS..Saw 14 bears even though weather was a bit rainy and windy.

My flight was with ProMech instead, but we had a great pilot and a very smooth flight. No turbulence at all. And the weather gods smiled upon us - the only clouds to be seen were strategically placed for maximum photogenic scenery impact <grin>.

Jim

My trip was with ProMech also.

First, I have flown in a ton of small planes. At one point, my local airport had a ton of 13 passenger planes and they never bothered me.

I did fly with ProMech and we had turbulence. I personally wanted to throw up through most of the flight. Worst feeling ever. We did a fly one way, boat back. I thought the landing was great (probably because I really wanted to get out of the plane) and when we got off, I asked the others what they thought. We all felt the same way.

The pilot seemed experience and I don't think he did anything wrong. I think we just had a lot of turbulence that day.

I won't do this trip again.