If you got a do over would you choose to visit Alaska another way?

Karysa

The Caribbean, the Greek Islands and towns along the Adriatic Sea were wonderful places to cruise to and I would do them all over again. Would you redo an Alaskian cruise or visit this most beautiful, rugged, natural area another way?

I thought Alaska and the Yukon were stunningly beautiful but I think I would have liked seeing it from somewhere other than the fantastic Celebrity Solstice. I felt leaving a walk to a glacier and whale watching and returning to a busy, modern and rather luxurious ship took some of the Zen out to me.

We have gone back to Alaska twice after our big-boat cruise. We did a *very* small boat (12 passengers) in and around Glacier Bay, and it was fabulous. You stay in the Zen the whole time. We sailed on the Pacific Catalyst, which I can heartily recommend; there are others around as well.

Then we went back again for a DIY land-based tour to Seward/Kenai and then Denali NP, and that was also fabulous.

I do find Alaska cruises on the major lines a very good value with some compromises. :) I don't mind getting on these big ships, but I do travel Alaska far more than most people (10 weeks this year) and pack my port times with my tours. I did finally get to Lake Clark/Katmai area this year, for superb bear viewing, but I do seem to keep repeating my favorites. :)

So, if there are new areas you want to see, then get to them. It depends on you.

I think you answered your own question.

We all have different interests, priorities, physical abilities, and travel styles. It's your vacation; do what YOU want to do.

Some people take multiple Alaska cruises, some even take B2B cruises, some take a cruisetour, some take a cruise with DIY land travel. Choose whichever method will best support your sightseeing needs.

I cruised once and it made me curious about what lay beyond the coast and the coastal mountain ranges. I've been back 4 times, always DIY land. Travelling by RV has been my favorite method of travel .... provides freedom to travel at my own pace, staying wherever I choose to stay without reservations ( except at Denali of course).

Having lived in Alaska for years, I'd say that there's no one way - or two, or three - to "best" see the state, any more than there's one "best" season. Alaska is so big and so diverse that you can spend a lifetime exploring and experiencing, and still not see it all.

Cruise ships offer comfortable accommodation and transport to coastal areas, including some that are very difficult to visit except from the water. But cruise ships call at ports that can be overwhelmed with the numbers of day visitors, and they only travel between May and September. You can take the ferry year-round, and experience the serenity and magnificence of Southeast Alaska in the off-season - mist- and snow-covered forest with white peaks above, glassy waters with Orcas occasionally viewable... but no floor shows or midnight buffets.

Cars and RVs can allow you to see places that can be reached on the road system, but that's a tiny fraction of the whole state. And again, for many people driving in dark, winter conditions is a real turn-off, thus limiting the season to the same one as the cruises.

So my suggestion is that if you want to experience something really different, try switching modes or seasons. For example, fly to Anchorage for Fur Rendezvous at the end of February. It's a hoot of a midwinter festival, with snowshoe races, dogsled races downtown, contests and parties, followed by the start of the Iditarod. While you're there, take a flightseeing trip over the Chugach mountains or Prince William Sound, or for a never-to-be-forgotten experience, fly up to Denali. If you think it's spectacular in the summer, believe me you haven't seen anything like the mountain on a clear winter day from a light plane. Fills.the.sky.

Just saying, thinking out of the box with Alaska is never a bad idea.

I have done AK by big ship, 50 passenger ship and by the Alaska Marine Highway. I have done short DIY tours and a 2 1/2 month driving tour. I have been in AK mostly in the summer but have also been there in the winter when it was cold and also when it was very cold.

I have traveled by car, by boat and by train.

It was all wonderful except for the train travel which I disliked tremendously and maybe even hated.

The only thing that I have not done is to take a CruiseTour. I can not ever imagine me taking a CruiseTour but that is just me and CruiseTours obviously work for many people or there would not be so any of them.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

If I were a couple of decades younger, I'd travel the Alaskan coast on the Alaska Marine Highway ferries, from Bellingham, Washington all the way out to Dutch Harbor. I'd stop at each port for a day or two.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/routes.shtml

So would I but I would never be able to convince my wife. The problem with that scenario is that for some ports you would have to stay for more than a day. Not sure if I want to stay 3 or 4 days in some of the small towns that the ferries stop at. I would be willing to give it a try.

It would also be interesting to do it off season - even winter time. You would definitely get a different type of person on the ferry at that time of year.

DON

We just returned from out first Alaskan cruise last month. We are already talking about going back but maybe with a small RV or travel trailer and taking our time visiting different areas for how ever long we want to and then move on. We loved our cruise but would like to see areas that we did not get to see on the cruise. I have another year and a half before I retire so nothing except planning can happen until then.

It would also be interesting to do it off season - even winter time. You would definitely get a different type of person on the ferry at that time of year.
Try this any weekend in the "off season."

Fly to Seattle on a Thursday evening. Take the morning train (very scenic) to Bellingham. Hang out in Bellingham (it's in the historic and very cute Fairhaven district) for a couple of hours, then board the AK ferry - next door to the train station.

The ferry sails on Friday evening. On Sunday you arrive in Ketchikan where you have a couple of hours to explore, take a cab to Totem Bight, whatever. Then get back on the boat and you arrive in Juneau around noon on Monday. Spend a day in Juneau (if the legislature's in session it's cheaper than any other comedy club) then fly back to Seattle and home.

The weekend on the ferry is fabulous - peaceful, comfortable - and you'll go through the Wrangell Narrows - too tight for the cruise ships. It's a scenic, relaxing, fun way to spend a long weekend.

I think you answered your own question.

We all have different interests, priorities, physical abilities, and travel styles. It's your vacation; do what YOU want to do.

Some people take multiple Alaska cruises, some even take B2B cruises, some take a cruisetour, some take a cruise with DIY land travel. Choose whichever method will best support your sightseeing needs.

I cruised once and it made me curious about what lay beyond the coast and the coastal mountain ranges. I've been back 4 times, always DIY land. Travelling by RV has been my favorite method of travel .... provides freedom to travel at my own pace, staying wherever I choose to stay without reservations ( except at Denali of course).

I honestly thought that seeing Alaska via cruise was the way to go. I certainly think that it is a great way to see the glaciers that are difficult to get to but if that's what you are cruising Akaska for I have heard that sometimes in Tracy Arms the weather is not conducive to travel down and therefore you may indeed be disappointed. I really liked the ship and Alaska I just think that in some ways my ports, and my mode of transportation and lodging just didn't mesh as well as on my cruises to the Caribbean, Greek Islands and Adriatic Sea.

It's interesting to me that after one cruise you have done 4 DIY land tours of Alaska.

Thanks for the reply.

We have gone back to Alaska twice after our big-boat cruise. We did a *very* small boat (12 passengers) in and around Glacier Bay, and it was fabulous. You stay in the Zen the whole time. We sailed on the Pacific Catalyst, which I can heartily recommend; there are others around as well.

Then we went back again for a DIY land-based tour to Seward/Kenai and then Denali NP, and that was also fabulous.

Would you recommend Alaska via large cruiseship to your family asking for advice or would you instead recommend a land tour or a small ship cruise? Thanks:)

I do find Alaska cruises on the major lines a very good value with some compromises. :) I don't mind getting on these big ships, but I do travel Alaska far more than most people (10 weeks this year) and pack my port times with my tours. I did finally get to Lake Clark/Katmai area this year, for superb bear viewing, but I do seem to keep repeating my favorites. :)

So, if there are new areas you want to see, then get to them. It depends on you.

So you think that renting a car or RV and driving and taking ferries is more expensive than visiting Alaska via cruiseship? When you say you "don't mind getting on these big ships" does that mean that you like it or put up with it to get where you want to go? Thanks:)

Having lived in Alaska for years, I'd say that there's no one way - or two, or three - to "best" see the state, any more than there's one "best" season. Alaska is so big and so diverse that you can spend a lifetime exploring and experiencing, and still not see it all.

Cruise ships offer comfortable accommodation and transport to coastal areas, including some that are very difficult to visit except from the water. But cruise ships call at ports that can be overwhelmed with the numbers of day visitors, and they only travel between May and September. You can take the ferry year-round, and experience the serenity and magnificence of Southeast Alaska in the off-season - mist- and snow-covered forest with white peaks above, glassy waters with Orcas occasionally viewable... but no floor shows or midnight buffets.

Cars and RVs can allow you to see places that can be reached on the road system, but that's a tiny fraction of the whole state. And again, for many people driving in dark, winter conditions is a real turn-off, thus limiting the season to the same one as the cruises.

So my suggestion is that if you want to experience something really different, try switching modes or seasons. For example, fly to Anchorage for Fur Rendezvous at the end of February. It's a hoot of a midwinter festival, with snowshoe races, dogsled races downtown, contests and parties, followed by the start of the Iditarod. While you're there, take a flightseeing trip over the Chugach mountains or Prince William Sound, or for a never-to-be-forgotten experience, fly up to Denali. If you think it's spectacular in the summer, believe me you haven't seen anything like the mountain on a clear winter day from a light plane. Fills.the.sky.

Just saying, thinking out of the box with Alaska is never a bad idea.

Great information for those that have been to Alaska before and those about to plan their first trip. Thanks :)

I have done AK by big ship, 50 passenger ship and by the Alaska Marine Highway. I have done short DIY tours and a 2 1/2 month driving tour. I have been in AK mostly in the summer but have also been there in the winter when it was cold and also when it was very cold.

I have traveled by car, by boat and by train.

It was all wonderful except for the train travel which I disliked tremendously and maybe even hated.

The only thing that I have not done is to take a CruiseTour. I can not ever imagine me taking a CruiseTour but that is just me and CruiseTours obviously work for many people or there would not be so any of them.

DON

Which way did you visit Alaska on your first trip there? Thanks

We just returned from out first Alaskan cruise last month. We are already talking about going back but maybe with a small RV or travel trailer and taking our time visiting different areas for how ever long we want to and then move on. We loved our cruise but would like to see areas that we did not get to see on the cruise. I have another year and a half before I retire so nothing except planning can happen until then.

So interesting that so many people who have done one Alaskan cruise choose to go back but not on another cruiseship. I have read many posts on cc where people have only travelled to the Caribbean via cruiseship and have done this over and over again. I realize that you can see much of these islands in 8 hours unlike Alaska but its still interesting.

If I were a couple of decades younger, I'd travel the Alaskan coast on the Alaska Marine Highway ferries, from Bellingham, Washington all the way out to Dutch Harbor. I'd stop at each port for a day or two.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/routes.shtml

This also sounds interesting to me. You get to do a little cruising and visit ports for longer times. We might check into this in a few years.

Alaska for me was one and done. I had a great cruise and really enjoyed the beauty of AK but I prefer warm air, warm water cruises.

You sound like my DH before he went. He really enjoyed it and we had very good weather so we are not ruling it out entirely but like others who have answered I too am thinking that I would rather do Alaska again using a car and ferries and stay in lodges or small hotels.:)

So you think that renting a car or RV and driving and taking ferries is more expensive than visiting Alaska via cruiseship? When you say you "don't mind getting on these big ships" does that mean that you like it or put up with it to get where you want to go? Thanks:)

My comparism is inside passage. Visiting by cruiseship can be the cheapest, compared to the small independent ships. As for the ferry- basic transportation isn't nearly as costly if you want a cabin. Otherwise you will be sleeping in a tent or lounge chair. Meals are either pay as you go, or bring your own. I have a friend who has done this several times, always is more costly than what I pay.

I think cost isn't the priority in my case. I do greatly enjoy the inside passage and never tire of it. BUT I do also get mainland Alaska touring in most years and spend my money where I want with the savings with lodging if available. I spent $5000 for 2 this year for 4 days of my travels, as an example. Well worth it for me. :) At the other end, I stayed at the Denali Salmon Bake cabins for the bargain of lodging. (slightly roughing it)

I always recommend people find their own way and preferences for touring. It really doesn't matter what anyone else does- if it is of no interest to you. :) I am a firm advocate of not- going with what is "popular" and recommended as "must do". Doing your homework will work out a great trip depending on YOU.

My comparism is inside passage. Visiting by cruiseship can be the cheapest, compared to the small independent ships. As for the ferry- basic transportation isn't nearly as costly if you want a cabin. Otherwise you will be sleeping in a tent or lounge chair. Meals are either pay as you go, or bring your own. I have a friend who has done this several times, always is more costly than what I pay.

I think cost isn't the priority in my case. I do greatly enjoy the inside passage and never tire of it. BUT I do also get mainland Alaska touring in most years and spend my money where I want with the savings with lodging if available. I spent $5000 for 2 this year for 4 days of my travels, as an example. Well worth it for me. :) At the other end, I stayed at the Denali Salmon Bake cabins for the bargain of lodging. (slightly roughing it)

I always recommend people find their own way and preferences for touring. It really doesn't matter what anyone else does- if it is of no interest to you. :) I am a firm advocate of not- going with what is "popular" and recommended as "must do". Doing your homework will work out a great trip depending on YOU.

Unlike the Caribbean and Europe for me I really never thought of visiting Alaska any other way than via cruiseship. Since many posters also have posted that they first visited via cruiseship and then did DIY land/ferries I wonder if others feel or felt the same way.

I think that for most people Alaska via cruiseship is not a bargain vacation.

Whenever you have the time I would love to hear about your trip to Katmai did you go to the Brooks River? Did you camp or stay in the Lodge? I am really wanting to go here to see the bears

50 passenger ship. It was the best cruise I have done in AK.

DON

Thanks. What was so different on this ship than the big cruiseship? I'm interested in hearing if this ship had more naturalists on board, less live entertainment ect and if it got to places that the bigger ship couldn't reach? Oh and is it still operating? Thanks:)