Train from Montreal to Quebec

buffetking

I plan on flying to Montreal and taking the train to Quebec in early October. Does anyone have any tips about luggage? Max. Size, how many cases? Is taking the train a hassle? Has anyone done it? Do the train workers strike often and/or does the train shut down in snow or bad weather? If I decided to do it, how do I book it?

Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide.

You will probably be safe from snow in October

I believe you need to handle your own luggage unless you book 1st class

check viarail.ca it should have all the information you need

If you can fly into Quebec City (YQB) from one of the connections I would consider that option unless you like the train

I plan on flying to Montreal and taking the train to Quebec in early October. Does anyone have any tips about luggage? Max. Size, how many cases? Is taking the train a hassle? Has anyone done it? Do the train workers strike often and/or does the train shut down in snow or bad weather? If I decided to do it, how do I book it?

I would not worry about the snow. If it does snow, you will only get a few flurries, and this doesn't usually happen until November (at least where I live, Montréal).

I took the train last May to board my ship in Québec City. Comfy ride and no hassle at all. The carry-on allowance is more generous than on planes. Some trains do have a baggage car so you can check your bags.

I booked through internet but you can phone them at (1 888 842-7245)

Here is the link for more info:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-info/baggage

Other points about the train:

Some trains to Québec City can be boarded close to the Trudeau (Montréal) airport after taking a 10 minutes shuttle ride.

Plan for extra arrival time as freight has priority on the railway. My train arrived on time but sometimes it can be a few minutes late because of that.

If a strike does occur with Via (from what I know, it doesn't happen often), the bus company which does the Montreal-Québec City route ( Orléans Express) will put extra buses.

Here is a good post from last year with additional testimonials and info:

"Montreal to Quebec"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2076376

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

• 3 weeks later...

We are considering a cruise from Quebec City this fall as well. In regard to flying into Quebec City, all of the flights I have found so far appear to be commuter jets (very small - maybe 30 or 40 passengers). Is that the only kind of plane that can land in Quebec City? Thanks in advance for any information on this topic.

We are considering a cruise from Quebec City this fall as well. In regard to flying into Quebec City, all of the flights I have found so far appear to be commuter jets (very small - maybe 30 or 40 passengers). Is that the only kind of plane that can land in Quebec City? Thanks in advance for any information on this topic.

YQB can certainly accommodate larger jets - and indeed plenty of larger planes fly south in the winter from here. It's more of a market conditions issue - the passenger loads aren't large enough to justify larger planes in/out of YQB, as most of our flights are short-haul from hubs such as YYZ, YUL and JFK.

Personally, I don't mind the short hops on the regional jets, as it allows me to fly out of my home airport, rather than having to drive the almost 3 hours down to YUL.

Could be just the flights from your location or connecting airport

I do not mind some of the small jets for short hauls

YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

I used to take the train often ...that was quit a while ago. As for luggage, take what you can carry and you won't any problems. Most often the problem is limited schedules.

Just to offer a suggestion...since you are flying into Montreal, have you considered renting a car. The drive to Quebec city isn't that long maybe 3hr. and you would have the car available for anything you wanted to see/do. My only reservation with this would be if you were staying downtown, parking can be a nuisance.

Have a great cruise

• 2 months later...

I travelled by train last year from Ottawa to Quebec through Montreal and it was a pleasant trip. Bookings can be made on line at http://www.viarail.ca. Price for the cheapest fare is very reasonable and snacks can be bought. Overall it is probably quicker downtown Montreal to the cruise terminal than by air and a lot cheaper

It is important to book to the Quebec Gare du Palais terminus not Quebec St Foy which is on the other side of town. The terminus is close to the cruise terminal and taxis are available. It is a 10 to 15 minute walk depending on the pier used by your ship. Pier 30 uses a temporary tented terminal.

Note that there are baggage weight restrictions on big bags. The maximum weight without penalty is 18kg or 40 lb, less than allowed on a plane which is usually 20kg or 44 lb. You can go up to 50 lb with a penalty of $20. You can also take a second 50 lb bag for $30. Bags over 50lb are not allowed. There are also sum of length width and breadth rules but with normal bags these should not be a problem. They did weigh our bags. If in doubt look at the via web site above.

As you enter Quebec city before St Foy you cross the St Lawrence on the world famous rail bridge.

Canadiana