New policy!? (Ocenaeering club) warning to parents.

Gr101997

So we just got on the dream. We were told by the DCL months ago our daughter who will be 3 in 2 weeks can be in the club for a trial and if it works out she can stay. We get on board and find out they changed it and now you have to be 3. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I feel bad putting her in the nursery since she's well beyond sitting and just watching tv.

I assume you are referring to the Oceaneer's Club. Since 1998, the policy there has been that a child within 30 days of the qualifying birthday is given a "trial," and if successful, may continue in the programming. The exception has always been that if there is too large a number of children in the qualifying age range, they may suspend the 30 day rule.

Bottom line--may be a new policy, may be a sailing with tons of toddlers /preschoolers on board.

I suppose the flexibility of the rule changes ship by ship and sailing by sailing. I really hope this isn't a new firm rule as our little one is going to be 21 months (fully toilet trained and strong comm skills). She will be devastated if she can't jump on Andy's bed in the club.

Good point. Fear with that is that she loves it but can't stay outside of those hours then we have to explain to her why that's the case. I assume you're a parent and no that's got 'losing battle' written all over it. Haha. Regardless of the rule and its level of enforcement we'll have a great time. Can't wait!

Good point. Fear with that is that she loves it but can't stay outside of those hours then we have to explain to her why that's the case. I assume you're a parent and no that's got 'losing battle' written all over it. Haha. Regardless of the rule and its level of enforcement we'll have a great time. Can't wait!

Yes, I'm a parent and I understand your situation...and that it's easier to be able to say yes than to deal with the reaction when you need to say no and explain why. However, our children must deal with rules and situations not to their liking all their lives....and it's never too early to start learning that hard lesson.

With your attitude that you'll have a great time regardless of the policy, you truly will. Enjoy the cruise!

I suppose the flexibility of the rule changes ship by ship and sailing by sailing. I really hope this isn't a new firm rule as our little one is going to be 21 months (fully toilet trained and strong comm skills). She will be devastated if she can't jump on Andy's bed in the club.

Regardless if this is a new policy change or not, your 21 month old won't be able to participate outside of open house hours either way because my understanding is the cut off is 35+ months?

Regardless if this is a new policy change or not, your 21 month old won't be able to participate outside of open house hours either way because my understanding is the cut off is 35+ months?

I've never heard of a "not even 2 yet" being allowed into the OC other than during open house hours. The policy is 35 months, and I've seen a little "fudging" for slightly younger kids on some occasions. Sorry that I missed that in my earlier post!

Also, toilet trained on DCL means able to handle ALL functions--clothes, wiping, hand washing, etc. independently in a child sized facility. Staff is basically not allowed to assist and specifically cannot go into the bathroom with the child.

Edited by moki'smommy

I've never heard of a "not even 2 yet" being allowed into the OC other than during open house hours. The policy is 35 months' date=' and I've seen a little "fudging" for slightly younger kids on some occasions. Sorry that I missed that in my earlier post!

Also, toilet trained on DCL means able to handle ALL functions--clothes, wiping, hand washing, etc. independently in a child sized facility. Staff is basically not allowed to assist and specifically cannot go into the bathroom with the child.[/quote']

I appreciate the clarification. I don't chime in often, but I always appreciate the information you post.

I love the attention to detail of fellow CC members. My 21 month old will actually be 33 months. I swore I wouldn't count months after 2 years and look what I just did. She'll be on the cusp. We will see and if its a no go that's fine. We go on vacation to spend time together anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

? I feel bad putting her in the nursery since she's well beyond sitting and just watching tv.

There's been a lot of other good information in this thread, but I just wanted to point out that they do a lot more than just sit and watch TV in the nursery. I saw them constantly interacting with the babies and toddlers in there, playing games, reading books, doing puzzles, etc. Yes, there was a TV in the corner and some little ones were sitting and watching (or napping), but that's not the primary activity in the nursery.

There's been a lot of other good information in this thread, but I just wanted to point out that they do a lot more than just sit and watch TV in the nursery. I saw them constantly interacting with the babies and toddlers in there, playing games, reading books, doing puzzles, etc. Yes, there was a TV in the corner and some little ones were sitting and watching (or napping), but that's not the primary activity in the nursery.

And the same in the OC. Particularly in the evening, they will put on a video and kids can choose to watch it on their sleep mats....and more often than not, fall asleep. OR the kids can choose to participate in activities, etc.

DCL programs for ALL kid ages are very active. Coloring pages and TVs are not the norm. If a kid is watching dancing images across a screen it is because he or she chooses to do so, not because there are not other things to do.

It wasn't the worst thing. I might have been a little pissed but it all worked out. I just think it's messed up that when I booked the cruise, DCL told me (not a TA) that was the policy. The director told me that they have had this problem a lot and said its a problem bc the Disney side isn't doing them favors giving out the wrong info. She said two cruises ago a kid turned 3 on the cruise and they couldn't do anything about it.

Oh well. It happens.

This may sound harsh, but I'd really like to see them start enforcing the age guidelines. As of September 2014 the only one being strictly enforced was that at 18 you are out of the teen program--that was mandated by the legal department a few years ago.

Since 1998 the "policy" has seemed to be that if a parent whined enough to the right CM, any age grouping could allow a younger kid to "move up." Sort of like Lake Wobegon where "all the kids are above average." The problem is that when younger kids are allowed into an older group, the appropriate age kids often bail because they don't want to interact with those who are technically too young. The groups have been reformulated MANY times, and there is no way that every parent is happy. There are always sibs/cousins/whatever with parents who want them in the same group (isn't that why we have family activities?), situations where a parent wants an older sib to look out for a younger (so the kids don't get vacation because they are supposed to babysit the younger one?) etc.

If they would just make a policy that the age groupings will all be enforced WITH the built in overlaps (Lab is up to age 12, Edge is 11-14 for example), everyone would know what the policy would be on their cruise and they'd avoid the dumbing down of the programs.

This may sound harsh' date=' but I'd really like to see them start enforcing the age guidelines. As of September 2014 the only one being strictly enforced was that at 18 you are out of the teen program--that was mandated by the legal department a few years ago.

Since 1998 the "policy" has seemed to be that if a parent whined enough to the right CM, any age grouping could allow a younger kid to "move up." Sort of like Lake Wobegon where "all the kids are above average." The problem is that when younger kids are allowed into an older group, the appropriate age kids often bail because they don't want to interact with those who are technically too young. The groups have been reformulated MANY times, and there is no way that every parent is happy. There are always sibs/cousins/whatever with parents who want them in the same group (isn't that why we have family activities?), situations where a parent wants an older sib to look out for a younger (so the kids don't get vacation because they are supposed to babysit the younger one?) etc.

If they would just make a policy that the age groupings will all be enforced WITH the built in overlaps (Lab is up to age 12, Edge is 11-14 for example), everyone would know what the policy would be on their cruise and they'd avoid the dumbing down of the programs.[/quote']

I agree. Why have a policy if you are not going to stick to it? It gets weaker every time they go against it. If the rule is must be three when the cruise starts, tough turkey to those who turn three on the cruise. I'd go further to say if you turn 18 on the cruise, no Vibe for the whole cruise.

Do they let you in the adult areas if you turn 18 on the cruise? Do they let you drink if you turn 21? I don't know, but it would make sense to make all age related rules apply at the same time - either when the cruise begins or during the cruise (for all rules).

I agree. Why have a policy if you are not going to stick to it? It gets weaker every time they go against it. If the rule is must be three when the cruise starts, tough turkey to those who turn three on the cruise. I'd go further to say if you turn 18 on the cruise, no Vibe for the whole cruise.

Do they let you in the adult areas if you turn 18 on the cruise? Do they let you drink if you turn 21? I don't know, but it would make sense to make all age related rules apply at the same time - either when the cruise begins or during the cruise (for all rules).

Another of those "mixed up" policy situations. The computer on the ship keeps you the age that you are on embarkation day for the entire cruise. Yet they "change" it and kick you out of the VIbe on the day you turn 18 (legal again). BUT to deny one access from boarding means they can't do anything till the birthday because the 18-21 activities are held in "adult only" areas.

And yes, from personal experience, you are allowed into adult areas on the day you turn 18. My daughter celebrated her 18th on the ship (before the kick out of teen program policy). While I could not book Palo for her prior to the cruise, we were able to have a message sent to the manager and make an "unofficial" reservation. After boarding, he was able to make it real but did check the date of birth with a comment that he couldn't do it for "even one day early." They made her a very nice spun sugar plate sculpture at dinner.

Similarly, we were able to book the Wild Side (teen) excursion on the cruise where she turned 13 on the cruise by talking to the supervisor shoreside who was able to override the computer.

If you turn 18 or 21 on the cruise, you can go to Guest Services and have a new KTTW card issued which shows your new status. This eliminates any questions that CMs may have as to where or what is permitted.

Do they let you in the adult areas if you turn 18 on the cruise? Yes.Do they let you drink if you turn 21? Yes.I don't know, but it would make sense to make all age related rules apply at the same time - either when the cruise begins or during the cruise (for all rules).

When they clamped down on "no 18 year olds in Vibe" initially, they did not allow anyone who was turning 18 during the cruise in Vibe at all, nor did they let them use the adult areas. After many complaints about this, they changed the policy to allow a 17 year old to use Vibe until he/she turned 18 and then he/she could only use the adult areas.

If someone turns 21 during a cruise, they can go to Guest Services onboard (at midnight on their actual birthday, if they want) and get a new KTTW card indicated that they are an adult (no longer 18, but 21 adult). Then they can order alcohol for the remainder of the cruise.

When they clamped down on "no 18 year olds in Vibe" initially, they did not allow anyone who was turning 18 during the cruise in Vibe at all, nor did they let them use the adult areas. After many complaints about this, they changed the policy to allow a 17 year old to use Vibe until he/she turned 18 and then he/she could only use the adult areas.

Sorry, Shmoo but this was not our experience when my daughter turned 18. Because this was before the "kick you out on 18th birthday" policy, she was allowed to continue Stack activities until the end of the cruise. In addition, she was able to go to Guest Services and get a new KTTW card which changed her status from M (minor) to B (adult not permitted to drink). She was given access to all adult areas beginning on her birthday.

Should one turn 21 on the cruise, the new card will be labeled A (adult).

Again, I've read of others having different experiences. All I can say is this is what we experienced when she turned 18 on the Wonder in 2009.

IF a guest does not go to GS and obtain a new KTTW card, the adult areas/adult beverages will be denied on the basis of the old card.

Edited by moki'smommy

Sorry' date=' Shmoo but this was not our experience when my daughter turned 18. Because this was before the "kick you out on 18th birthday" policy, she was allowed to continue Stack activities until the end of the cruise. In addition, she was able to go to Guest Services and get a new KTTW card which changed her status from M (minor) to B (adult not permitted to drink). She was given access to all adult areas beginning on her birthday.

Should one turn 21 on the cruise, the new card will be labeled A (adult).

Again, I've read of others having different experiences. All I can say is this is what we experienced when she turned 18 on the Wonder in 2009.

IF a guest does not go to GS and obtain a new KTTW card, the adult areas/adult beverages will be denied on the basis of the old card.[/quote']

The policy was changed in 2011. Prior to that they would let an 18 year old (still in high school, or not started college yet) stay in the teen club. And when they turned 18 they could do both the teen club and adult areas, as they wished.

When they first changed it (so an 18 year old couldn't go to Vibe, regardless of school status), briefly, a 17 year old turning 18 on the cruise couldn't be in either. That didn't last long, as they changed it to allowing access to Vibe until they turned 18 and then they got a new KTTW card and could access only the adult areas.

Yes, the bit of not allowing them to go anywhere lasted about 2 weeks.

And while I am aware of the incident leading up to the policy change and the fact that the policy of "18 and out" was dictated by legal, it is the worst policy ever from a guest experience situation. As a result, the "College Club" became the "18-21" club and the college kids bailed. Sorry, but there is all the difference in the world in the maturity of an 18 year old who is/has been away at college for a year and the 18 year old who is still in high school. There are still cruises with a good group, but it tends to be the high school crowd who can't be in the Vibe any more. AND with the new title, the 22 year old still in college does not feel welcome. Such a can of worms!

It wasn't the worst thing. I might have been a little pissed but it all worked out. I just think it's messed up that when I booked the cruise, DCL told me (not a TA) that was the policy. The director told me that they have had this problem a lot and said its a problem bc the Disney side isn't doing them favors giving out the wrong info. She said two cruises ago a kid turned 3 on the cruise and they couldn't do anything about it.

Oh well. It happens.

But as has been pointed out, the policy is PENDING SPACE AVAILABLE. If there are a lot of pre-schoolers running around on the cruise so that the club is (or could be) at capacity with of-age kids, then those NOT of age will not be allowed to go in. So it's not so much WRONG information as INCOMPLETE information.

But as has been pointed out, the policy is PENDING SPACE AVAILABLE. If there are a lot of pre-schoolers running around on the cruise so that the club is (or could be) at capacity with of-age kids, then those NOT of age will not be allowed to go in. So it's not so much WRONG information as INCOMPLETE information.

That wasn't what they told me. They said its a strict 3 and over now. Nothing to do with the amount of space. If that is the case, I am calling and making a big deal because the person I talked to told me that it was all about the age.

What is the point of calling and "making a big deal?" You are back from your cruise and you had to abide by the policy that was in effect when you sailed. It may or may not be different by the time your next cruise rolls around.

Yes, it used to be a space available basis. It may or may not have changed to a strict age policy. But for you who are back, it doesn't matter. Policies DO change on DCL, sometimes even from one cruise to the next.