Cabin selection when booking

Just looking at couple cruise in 2018 went so far into the booking on popular oz website to see the cabin choices and its not giving a choice to pick a cabin where first time on a different ship I not been on before I would like to choose deck and position even if I have to pay a bit more.

Any idea why you can't pick what cabin you want?

What ship and cruises are you looking at?

If it's the website I'm thinking of that sometimes happens when the cabin category you are looking at has already sold out but they are offering guarantees in that category.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Hmmm, I see what you mean. I looked at a Solstice cruise in Feb 2018 and it didn't show the cabins either, yet there seem to be plenty when I look at the Celebrity website.

I checked another online TA and got the same thing.

Very strange.

I suggest looking at the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity websites, they aren't the best in the world but at least you can see the cabins that way.

Just try a different travel agent or the line direct if you want to book now.

If committed to that travel agent, you can probably add the request to the notes, but it's a bit of messing around and you'd have to check other sites anyway to get availability.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few sites that won't let you select a cabin online. I've booked and then the TA has rung back to discuss cabin selection. Make sure you have a deck plan available if this happens and make sure that you're discussing the actual category you booked.

We've risked a guarantee twice. Both times we booked close to departure date so there were very few cabins available. We were lucky both times.

The first was on Rhapsody of the Seas. We ended up mid-aft under the MDR. The only time we heard any noise was when they did the parades in the MDR. Since we had late dining the noise we heard was always while we were dressing for dinner.

The second was on Dawn Princess. With Princess you are able to book a cabin category guarantee. I scored a IA and we got that, on deck 10 so cabins above and below. It was next to the laundrette (which actually proved very handy) and a steward storage area. The only disturbance we had on the whole 17 night cruise was about 7:30am one morning when something was being fixed in the storage area.

I prefer being able to choose our cabin but sometimes it isn't possible. One cruise we currently have booked is essentially booked out in all but the most expensive cabin classes, two years in advance. :eek: However through a TA we were able to score an affordable (just) cabin, it's forward so I hope we don't get any wild seas, but we do have cabins above and below. That cruise is a bucket list one for us, and there are very few cruises with that exact itinerary so I was happy to get any cabin.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The funny part is, the guarantee cabins we took in the past were all (maybe except one) in locations we'd pick now.

That was lucky. ;)

We liked our Dawn Princess guarantee location so much we've booked nearly the equivalant location for our upcoming cruise. Just one cabin further along.

Where is that box on princess site

Not a box, but when you get to the cabin selection page, "guarantee" is one of the options. Note that it's not always available, so if you just see cabins to select and no guarantee, guarantee is not available.

right on cheers:)

whether there is a upgrade box or not, just remember to always check out where you will end up if they offer you one. A cabin upgrade (by category or price) by the ship is not always a better cabin for what you want or where you want it. i.e Some concierge cabins and suite are under the basketball court and pool deck on some ships.:eek:

whether there is a upgrade box or not, just remember to always check out where you will end up if they offer you one. A cabin upgrade (by category or price) by the ship is not always a better cabin for what you want or where you want it. i.e Some concierge cabins and suite are under the basketball court and pool deck on some ships.:eek:

Yes for sure,wont even take an upgrade,unless it is almost free upgrade,and been checked out.Have been caught once before.

Plus we like our interiors,although a suite would be magnificent.But hell the cost is horrific.

3 cruises vs 1 cruise in a suite,no brainer to us.

Plus we like the darkness.

I did notice on up-coming cruise we were right under buffet/then we changed and noticed we were under pool deck.Finnally changed again,now we are sandwiched.

Edited by mrs and mrs

Yes for sure,wont even take an upgrade,unless it is almost free upgrade,and been checked out.Have been caught once before.

Plus we like our interiors,although a suite would be magnificent.But hell the cost is horrific.

3 cruises vs 1 cruise in a suite,no brainer to us.

Plus we like the darkness.

I did notice on up-coming cruise we were right under buffet/then we changed and noticed we were under pool deck.Finnally changed again,now we are sandwiched.

Good job, bring your plugs anyway but at least you have eliminated the major noisy areas.