Fire and Ice

i was on fire and ice a few years ago. The seas were fine and we had a beautifull day on the Faroes. Apart from a drizzly first day on Iceland we dragged good weather with us wherever we went. Same as north cape adventure this year.:D

Thanks for your reply, we really fancy the itinarary, we have done the western and eastern med to death and fancy a change of scenery. We are not that big on lying in the sun so as long as the weather is reasonable that will suit us fine. Did you enjoy the cruise and would you recommend it?

Thanks for your reply, we really fancy the itinarary, we have done the western and eastern med to death and fancy a change of scenery. We are not that big on lying in the sun so as long as the weather is reasonable that will suit us fine. Did you enjoy the cruise and would you recommend it?

Fire and Ice was excellent, especially if you like scenery. The Faroes came as a complete surprise to me, not at all like i imagined they would be.

Let me put it this way. I started with a frozen shoulder and fell of rocks taking a chunk out of my leg. Despite this i enjoyed the cruise and would go again but not in a single cabin on Spirit. I now value a good nights sleep.

scene from early Iclandic parliament, held outdoors, drizzle. Butch vikings wife 'come in out of the rain Olaf, i spent all morning cleaning that chain mail and i am not letting you get it all rusty', yes dear, says the fearsome warrior. :D

Oh dear, sorry about your leg. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise and would go again. We will probably make our minds up in the next week or so, like to get things booked in advance then forget about them till nearer the time. Thanks again for your thoughts.

We went on this cruise in July 2012. Before departing Newcastle the Captain advised that due to high winds and very rough seas he was delaying sailing 24 hours. This meant that we would miss out the Faroes altogether as he would be unable to berth in such rough conditions. We sailed 24 hours late and the first day at sea was very rough indeed. Never used sea sickness tablets before but they worked excellently. Crew mentioned this crossing was always rough as you are crossing the Atlantic rather than the North Sea to Scandinavia where you move with the weather rather than against it. All back to normal after a couple of days as the storm eased off.

Hi

Been busy last few days so just checked forum again for replies. Dont know if I am a good sailor or not, have always had great weather on previous cruises. Think it is just a case of biting the bullet and keeping fingers crossed for an easy crossing. We really fancy the itinarary and the fact that it leaves from the UK, so we are definately wavering on the positives rather than the negatives.

• 4 months later...

This area is a complete unknown to me - can anyone who has been advise on the ports and excursions? There doesn't seem to be much out there - including on the Ports Forum about Iceland. Any info would be very welcome! Thanks! :)

This area is a complete unknown to me - can anyone who has been advise on the ports and excursions? There doesn't seem to be much out there - including on the Ports Forum about Iceland. Any info would be very welcome! Thanks! :)

It is a pleasure to be able to return some of the helpful advice you have given me.:)

Reykjavik - The golden circle takes you to Gullfoss, an absolute torrent of a waterfall, mesmerising. Geysir, something I've always wanted to see, and it didn't dissapoint in the least. We also had a very nice lunch here, fresh salmon. Then the national park where you can walk along the fault line which is slowly widening. We also visited a power station which was a lot more interesting than it sounds, as it explains how they put all this natural energy to good use.

We had two days in Reykjavik so on the evening we just walked around a large park which was quite near to the ship.If you would be interested I could look up the directions.

The other day we went to the Blue Lagoon. We did it on our own using the shuttle bus into the town then getting a ticket at the bus station (again I can find directions if you're interested) which included admission, but not locker however they let me put this on a card as I didn't have any currency. This place is soooooooo relaxing and it really is the most wonderful blue, and the 'mud' is white. There was quite a thick mist while we were there but the water is so warm it's better than a bath. The bus back drops you off at the port.

Akureyri - We again took the full day tour, to Godafoss another waterfall but completely different to Gullfoss. Mudpools where you wouldn't believe the different colours you could see. Lake Myvatn where we had lunch, trout today, the best I've ever had. Then on to some rock formations. We did see a very unusual bird here (my hubands hobby) but I'm blowed if I can remember its name :confused:.

Isafordur - We didn't do an excursion here as we felt we wanted to just look at the place. It is very small though, so in the morning we walked all around the town, then after lunch had a look at the tourist attractions on the quayside. It was very nice but if there is anything you are interested in perhaps a half day trip might be good.

Torshavn - I don't know if this is included this year but we did the walk on Streymor Sill, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The weather was good though, I don't think it would be the same in the rain :(. On the afternoon we just explored the town.

Iceland is fantastic, with so much to see, and very pretty as everywhere is covered in wild flowers.

I know from what you have said about the Fjords that you will love it.

Thanks so much happy v - paid back in full!!!:D That's exactly the kind of info we need.

So to quiz you a little further, I'll explain where we're at and the source of my dilemma. (I should say it's P&O though but the excursions sound very similar - Thomson not going from Harwich so sadly we've had to jump ship. :()

Unlike you we don't get an overnight in Reykjavik so this is what's making our planning more difficult. From what I've read and seen of Reykjavik we'd quite like to have a couple of hours to look around if at all possible as it may be an itinerary we won't be repeating so want to make the most of the time there.

If we do the Golden Circle excursion (which would be our preference I think) we get no time to see anything of the city.

The other trip which looks quite interesting is the Ring of Fire which is 5 hours including refreshments but not lunch so I guess we save a little time there. It includes the National Park (I think that's where you walked between the tectonic plates) also the Geothermal Plant (pleased to hear you found that interesting - we had reservations about it but often these things are so much better in reality than on paper) but doesn't go up to the Gullfoss or the Strokkur Geysir. And that's the rub - we're wondering whether we'll be missing out on a couple of the must see's in Iceland. It does go to a place called Hverageroi instead which is a geothermal area and from some pics we've seen on-line that does look quite interesting but may not be as good as what we'd be missing out on from the Golden Circle.

So the problem is: Gullfoss + Strokkur V a couple of hours in Rekjavik

Now I'm going to ask you to put your head on the block and tell me which you think we should do :D (no - seriously any advice, suggestions, opinions are very much appreciated and welcome - it's good to chat to someone you feel you know and has first hand experience - I'm very pleased to take on your views rather than say, Destination Services).

I should just tell you though at Akureyri we'll probably do a trip which includes the Godafoss, Lake Mytavn, Stutustadir and Namaskard - sounds similar to the one you did. You said the waterfall here was quite different from Gullfoss - I was thinking perhaps Godafoss would compensate for missing Gullfoss but perhaps not since they are so different. And did you see any other impressive geysirs anywhere else? If not that's perhaps making the case to do the Golden Circle after all.

Yes we have Isafjodur on the itinerary and Torshavn - we shall do half day trips there but there's not the same dilemma re full day/half day excursion and time available in port.

I'm really looking forward to this - your comments and from others who have done this cruise are glowing and yes we do love Norway so I'm sure we'll love Iceland too. I've been wanting to go for some years now.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts happy v. So grateful for your help! :)

It's funny you've asked because after I'd posted last night I was asking myself (as you do :o) what I enjoyed most and I have to admit it was Geysir. I was honestly mesmorised by this bubbling pool which then shot way up in the air. There are a few smaller pools on the sight aswell and the colours of the water is really something I think you would like to see. Especially if you haven't seen anything like this before.

Also when we went to the Blue Lagoon we actually had a walk through the town, and drove through it on the way back. I can understand you wanting to get a feel for the place that is why we didn't do an excursion in Isafordur, but on the evening we stayed overnight we visited the local park as we didn't feel the need to go back into Reykjavik. By the way this park was the busiest I've ever seen, all the locals come for a saunter on nice evenings.

I've just remembered on the way back from the Golden Circle you do stop off somewhere in the city. Sorry I can't remember the name. I didn't find it too impresive but it did give you a little bit of history, but the best bit was it was on top of a hill so you got good views over Reykjavik.

The waterfalls, I remember them both being very impressive, however I can't remember which one was which so I would say it would be OK to miss one if you needed. I would be able to remember better if my husband hadn't lost all of our photographs when he tried to download them:eek:. Still this is another reason we have to go back one day.;)

I hope I've helped and not made your decision harder, as this is only my opinion and someone else may come on and dissagree, but in all honesty I think the Golden Circle is one of the best excursions we've taken anywhere.

Oh Kruzseeka, you've booked a cruise! I wondered why you were asking :D

Well done! When are you going? I will be very interested to hear what P&O are like. My brother and my neighbours never go on anything else, but then they do have an incentive scheme ;)

We are still looking at the fjords for later in the year, but although I would like to book NOW :D I am trying to be patient. DH doesn't want to drive "all the way!" to Harwich, so looks like we shall "jump ship" too. I like the look of the Crown Princess, but very expensive, compared to Thomson anyway, but might do P&O. Which ship are you going on? I've always fancied going on the Oriana since we saw her in Madeira on our silver wedding, many moons ago ;)

-

It's funny you've asked because after I'd posted last night I was asking myself (as you do :o) what I enjoyed most and I have to admit it was Geysir. I was honestly mesmorised by this bubbling pool which then shot way up in the air. There are a few smaller pools on the sight aswell and the colours of the water is really something I think you would like to see. Especially if you haven't seen anything like this before.

Also when we went to the Blue Lagoon we actually had a walk through the town, and drove through it on the way back. I can understand you wanting to get a feel for the place that is why we didn't do an excursion in Isafordur, but on the evening we stayed overnight we visited the local park as we didn't feel the need to go back into Reykjavik. By the way this park was the busiest I've ever seen, all the locals come for a saunter on nice evenings.

I've just remembered on the way back from the Golden Circle you do stop off somewhere in the city. Sorry I can't remember the name. I didn't find it too impresive but it did give you a little bit of history, but the best bit was it was on top of a hill so you got good views over Reykjavik.

The waterfalls, I remember them both being very impressive, however I can't remember which one was which so I would say it would be OK to miss one if you needed. I would be able to remember better if my husband hadn't lost all of our photographs when he tried to download them. Still this is another reason we have to go back one day.

I hope I've helped and not made your decision harder, as this is only my opinion and someone else may come on and dissagree, but in all honesty I think the Golden Circle is one of the best excursions we've taken anywhere.

Well that's it then happy v - Golden Circle it is! :D:D

Thanks so much :) - your input and thoughts are exactly what we need to hear. We very much liked the look of this tour but kept prevaricating just wondering what else we might be missing (I'm so nosy!) but the sights are what you go to see and we'd be fed-up if we felt we'd missed something rather special. And where else might you expect to see such things?

If we ever go again we'd probably do your trip independently to the Blue Lagoon and have a 'wander' day. I know every city is different but there is a similarity in building style with many - I wouldn't be surprised if Reykjavik isn't rather like Tromso, Bergen, Alesund and other Nordic cities - and we will have time to see a little of both Akureyri and Isafjordur as the trips there aren't so long. The Jewels of the North is 5.5 hours with no lunch just some refreshments so that will leave time for a potter when we get back to Akureyri.

Thanks again for your invaluable help. :) ;)

Oh Kruzseeka, you've booked a cruise! I wondered why you were asking :D

Well done! When are you going? I will be very interested to hear what P&O are like. My brother and my neighbours never go on anything else, but then they do have an incentive scheme

We are still looking at the fjords for later in the year, but although I would like to book NOW I am trying to be patient. DH doesn't want to drive "all the way!" to Harwich, so looks like we shall "jump ship" too. I like the look of the Crown Princess, but very expensive, compared to Thomson anyway, but might do P&O. Which ship are you going on? I've always fancied going on the Oriana since we saw her in Madeira on our silver wedding, many moons ago ;)

Hi Linda, We're going in June on the Aurora. I believe it's very similar to the Oriana - but am no expert! As you might imagine I will be very interested to draw the comparisons. I would have had no qualms about booking this on Spirit (although I think we get a day more in Iceland) but a 800 mile round trip to Newcastle is more than we wanted to do (much as we adore Northumberland and would love to go back and re-visit old haunts). We happily do the 200 miles to Harwich but the only 14-nighter apart from the Round Britain was the Baltics which we've done four times now.

I must say I'm impressed with P&O's interactive website though. So many of the type of questions we are asked on here are actually answered on there - even the wine package with indicative wines/costs and to pre-book! Thomson could learn a thing or two methinks although we might end up being redundant if people don't need to ask so many questions on here!!! :D:rolleyes:

Hi Kruzseeka,

Aurora is my brother's favourite ship. His son's friend is one of the officers on her, so they get to have tours of the bridge etc. :)

Perhaps we could drop some hints about the website if we ever get another Q&A session.

Sorry biffybear, we seem to have hijacked your thread. :o

Now not so sure about going north in August/September! :eek: Perhaps I'd rather do the Greek islands on the Majesty :)

-

Well that's it then happy v - Golden Circle it is! :D

Thanks so much :) - your input and thoughts are exactly what we need to hear. We very much liked the look of this tour but kept prevaricating just wondering what else we might be missing (I'm so nosy!) but the sights are what you go to see and we'd be fed-up if we felt we'd missed something rather special. And where else might you expect to see such things?

If we ever go again we'd probably do your trip independently to the Blue Lagoon and have a 'wander' day. I know every city is different but there is a similarity in building style with many - I wouldn't be surprised if Reykjavik isn't rather like Tromso, Bergen, Alesund and other Nordic cities - and we will have time to see a little of both Akureyri and Isafjordur as the trips there aren't so long. The Jewels of the North is 5.5 hours with no lunch just some refreshments so that will leave time for a potter when we get back to Akureyri.

Thanks again for your invaluable help. :) ;)

I'm sure you won't be dissapointed....oh, the pressure;).

We would like to have seen more of Akureyri too but we also wanted to do the trip so had to make a choice.:(

I don't know why the two days in Reykjavik have been cut because this is definitely a place you need to stay for more than one day.

I didn't realise you were with P&O untill after I'd posted but all the trips are the same anyway. Would you do a comparison with the prices though? For future reference.

I'm sure you won't be dissapointed....oh, the pressure;).

We would like to have seen more of Akureyri too but we also wanted to do the trip so had to make a choice.:(

I don't know why the two days in Reykjavik have been cut because this is definitely a place you need to stay for more than one day.

I didn't realise you were with P&O untill after I'd posted but all the trips are the same anyway. Would you do a comparison with the prices though? For future reference.

Seem fairly similar - have already looked at Thomson's site to compare!

Examples:

Golden Circle; P&O £84 Thomson £90 both 8 hours and incl lunch

Jewels of the North: P&O £59.50 (5.5 hours, refreshments no lunch) Thomson £80 (8 hours incl lunch) seem similar visits tho

Godafoss & Akureyri P&O £48 Thomson £44 (both 3 hours)

So fairly comparable.

No pressure happy v - we're feeling pleased and quite relaxed about it now we've made a decision. :) I think we were trying to persuade ourselves we wouldn't be missing too much by not doing the Golden Circle to buy ourselves some time in Rekjavik - but both had real reservations about not doing 'the' trip everyone talks about and recommends. So sense of relief now. Thanks again for your help! ;)

Seem fairly similar - have already looked at Thomson's site to compare!

Examples:

Golden Circle; P&O £84 Thomson £90 both 8 hours and incl lunch

Jewels of the North: P&O £59.50 (5.5 hours, refreshments no lunch) Thomson £80 (8 hours incl lunch) seem similar visits tho

Godafoss & Akureyri P&O £48 Thomson £44 (both 3 hours)

So fairly comparable.

No pressure happy v - we're feeling pleased and quite relaxed about it now we've made a decision. :) I think we were trying to persuade ourselves we wouldn't be missing too much by not doing the Golden Circle to buy ourselves some time in Rekjavik - but both had real reservations about not doing 'the' trip everyone talks about and recommends. So sense of relief now. Thanks again for your help! ;)

That's very interesting I always thought the excursions were a lot dearer than Thomsons.

Seems like Thomsons will have to pull their socks up to keep their loyal customers i.e. some new itineraries or more competitive prices.

Hi Kruzseeka,

Aurora is my brother's favourite ship. His son's friend is one of the officers on her, so they get to have tours of the bridge etc. :)

Perhaps we could drop some hints about the website if we ever get another Q&A session.

Sorry biffybear, we seem to have hijacked your thread. :o

Now not so sure about going north in August/September! :eek: Perhaps I'd rather do the Greek islands on the Majesty :)

Linda, we went in July and the weather was very good. I know it isn't guaranteed but it's not always bad.:)

I don't think you would miss much if you didn't "do" Rekayvik,,it just looked like pretty coloured houses and the airport to me,,and it was about a million Kronos or whatever they are for a coffee.

Did you know that there are only about 20,000 Icelanders and most of them are related,,and because they have all that lovely geothermal stuff going on they only pay about 5p a year heating bills!! It's a fascinating place,,no trees though. The sky was the bluest blue I've ever seen but it was ssssooooo cold,,but lovely:)

Archived