Room suggestion for Intercontinental Tahiti

MarLieb

Hi!

We will be spending two nights, pre-cruise at the Intercontinental Tahiti and I'm having trouble choosing a room.

It will be me, my husband and 9-year old son. I'm trying to choose between a 2 queen panoramic lagoon view room or an overwater king villa (which is $1200 more total - yikes!).

We will arrive in Tahiti at 6 am in the morning and am booking the room for the evening before so we have a room when we arrive. We are flying from NYC, so I'm anticipating major jetlag. I'm assuming we'll want to just swim and relax during our time at the hotel.

This would be our only opportunity to stay in an overwater bugalow during our vacation, but I'm wondering if the overwater bungalows at the Intercontinental are worth that extra cost? I've read the hotel is a bit dated.

Thank you for your insight and for sharing your experiences at the resort!

Panoramic view room hands down. Maybe the new Motu bungalows. I have stayed in the King suite but got it as a free upgrade. No way it's worth the extra money. There are ZERO hotels on Tahiti that are worth it because the water simply isn't nice enough.

I have stayed at the hotel 9 times and have stayed in all of the various rooms but not the new revamped motu bungalows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed there for 1 night and had a lovely experience. We requested the least expensive room but since we had signed up for the IHG club, we were upgraded. We had an ocean view(not ocean front) in a modern room that was lovely. I would not pay for an over the water bungalow here.

IMO yes yes and yes. Stayed two nights in over water hut and had no neighbors. The price limits occupancy, especially off season. Privacy, great views, solitude and total peace. And we practiced our snorkling off the hut, before our cruise around the the other FP Islands. Granted not as spectacular as the Raitea or Bora Bora, but far superior to any Continental US sites and many Caribbean locations.

Which ship are you on?

We'll be on the Paul Gauguin!

Thank you for your replies, everyone!

I ended up booking the overwater villa. It's called the overwater motu villa, so I think it may be one of the revamped rooms? After looking on a resort map, it looked like it was closer to the main areas of the resort than the panoramic rooms, plus it gives us extra space and we'll be able to swim right from the room. This will most likely be our one and only trip to FP, so we decided to splurge and it's our only chance to stay in an overwater bungalow during the trip. I'm so excited!

We'll be on the Paul Gauguin!

Thank you for your replies, everyone!

I ended up booking the overwater villa. It's called the overwater motu villa, so I think it may be one of the revamped rooms? After looking on a resort map, it looked like it was closer to the main areas of the resort than the panoramic rooms, plus it gives us extra space and we'll be able to swim right from the room. This will most likely be our one and only trip to FP, so we decided to splurge and it's our only chance to stay in an overwater bungalow during the trip. I'm so excited!

Curious why you didn't add a night or 2 and go over to Moorea, several nice OWB resorts there.

Or you could do an OWB on Bora Bora is the itinerary is for 2 days on Bora Bora. Le Moana and the Thalasso are incredible.

Curious why you didn't add a night or 2 and go over to Moorea, several nice OWB resorts there.

Or you could do an OWB on Bora Bora is the itinerary is for 2 days on Bora Bora. Le Moana and the Thalasso are incredible.

We actually are going to Moorea right after our stay at the Intercontinental. We are staying at the Hilton Moorea and opted for the king pool suite which was our only option for a room/living room set-up there. (My husband snores, so we typically book rooms with at least one separate space so I can escape if need be!). It was a hard choice, but I opted for rest over bungalow. We are also going to another resort post-cruise that didn't have overwater bungalows at all. I didn't want to book the overwater bungalow during the cruise because we are spending so many other nights at resorts pre- and post-cruise. I was sort of resigned to going all the way to FP and not staying in an OWB and then the one at IC popped up. I know it's probably not the most idyllic of the OWB choices in FP, but I'm excited to have the experience and I actually think it will make our first two days there more enjoyable. I was trying to save some money at IC with the panoramic room, but with the OWB, if we get a great view, some swim time and I get some sleep after a super long flight - I think it will be worth it! :)

We actually are going to Moorea right after our stay at the Intercontinental. We are staying at the Hilton Moorea and opted for the king pool suite which was our only option for a room/living room set-up there. (My husband snores, so we typically book rooms with at least one separate space so I can escape if need be!). It was a hard choice, but I opted for rest over bungalow. We are also going to another resort post-cruise that didn't have overwater bungalows at all. I didn't want to book the overwater bungalow during the cruise because we are spending so many other nights at resorts pre- and post-cruise. I was sort of resigned to going all the way to FP and not staying in an OWB and then the one at IC popped up. I know it's probably not the most idyllic of the OWB choices in FP, but I'm excited to have the experience and I actually think it will make our first two days there more enjoyable. I was trying to save some money at IC with the panoramic room, but with the OWB, if we get a great view, some swim time and I get some sleep after a super long flight - I think it will be worth it! :)

The IC Tahiti is still the Grande Dame of Hotels on Tahiti. No she isn't the newest but the staff are very nice, the view of Tahiti incredible and the dinner shows are some of the best in all of Polynesia. The IC Tahiti is what all the other hotels want to be ;)

Once you enter the reception area at the IC Tahiti you will see that incredible view of Moorea ....... well for a short period of time as soon your eyes will feast upon one of the 'hunky boys' as I call them. Young Polynesian men nicely groomed wearing nothing but a bottom pareo ... they carry your bags to you room ;)

The IC Tahiti is still the Grande Dame of Hotels on Tahiti. No she isn't the newest but the staff are very nice, the view of Tahiti incredible and the dinner shows are some of the best in all of Polynesia. The IC Tahiti is what all the other hotels want to be ;)

Once you enter the reception area at the IC Tahiti you will see that incredible view of Moorea ....... well for a short period of time as soon your eyes will feast upon one of the 'hunky boys' as I call them. Young Polynesian men nicely groomed wearing nothing but a bottom pareo ... they carry your bags to you room ;)

LOL! Sounds awesome!!! I just read this to my husband and I seem to be a little more exctied about this than he is . . . !!! Oh my gosh - I can't wait! It sounds amazing! And, we made a reservation for their dinner show. It will be on our arrival day (8:30 pm FP time, 1:30 am our time, I believe). We'll see if we can stay awake through it! Thank you so much for your help!

LOL! Sounds awesome!!! I just read this to my husband and I seem to be a little more exctied about this than he is . . . !!! Oh my gosh - I can't wait! It sounds amazing! And, we made a reservation for their dinner show. It will be on our arrival day (8:30 pm FP time, 1:30 am our time, I believe). We'll see if we can stay awake through it! Thank you so much for your help!

If you want to save a lot of money you can dine a la carte and still see the show. You won't be as close and you won't have access to the buffet or a chance to dance in the finale.

If you want to save a lot of money you can dine a la carte and still see the show. You won't be as close and you won't have access to the buffet or a chance to dance in the finale.

Twin doesn't like to be embarrassed by his lame dancing around the professionals ... they've been waiting for him, I hear they have one of these costumes all ready for him :)

IC%20Tahiti%20dancing%20%281%20of%202%29-X2.jpg

Twin doesn't like to be embarrassed by his lame dancing around the professionals ... they've been waiting for him, I hear they have one of these costumes all ready for him :)

LOL

OMG! That's hysterical! Thanks for the tip on dining a la carte. I may have to consider it because I think we are going to be exhausted, however, if there is a chance my husband or son can go onstage and dance, I don't know if I want to miss that. I know THEY would want to miss it, but not me, LOL!!

If you take a break just before the show go to the left to where the smoking area is located. Once at the entrance keep walking around the smoking area and the changing area for the pools. You will come to where the dancers are hanging out, keep walking past them to the front of the changing room, or ask one of the dancers where the 'Mamas' are sitting. The mamas are there to help with the costumes and all the beautiful flowers they wear. The are 'Mamas', usually with a dancer in the troupe. Ask one of the Mamas to have one of the female dancers to ask your hubby and son to the stage during the time when they bring the tourists on stage. They will happily do it for you ... have your camera ready ;)

If you take a break just before the show go to the left to where the smoking area is located. Once at the entrance keep walking around the smoking area and the changing area for the pools. You will come to where the dancers are hanging out, keep walking past them to the front of the changing room, or ask one of the dancers where the 'Mamas' are sitting. The mamas are there to help with the costumes and all the beautiful flowers they wear. The are 'Mamas', usually with a dancer in the troupe. Ask one of the Mamas to have one of the female dancers to ask your hubby and son to the stage during the time when they bring the tourists on stage. They will happily do it for you ... have your camera ready ;)

Oh my gosh! Thank you SO much for this tip!!! I just printed this out so I will remember where to find the "Mamas". THANK YOU!!! :*

Oh my gosh! Thank you SO much for this tip!!! I just printed this out so I will remember where to find the "Mamas". THANK YOU!!! :*

happy to help and if you can't find them just ask one of the dancers you see off stage to the left where they can't be seen but you will run into them ;)