South America in January, 2016

Grand2010

Hi all: Trying to decide which cruise to take to So. America in Jan, HAL Maasdam (47 days), HAL Prinsendam(67 days), or Ocean Princess (64 days)? Has anyone taken a long cruise on any of the three? Input greatly appreciated as this will be a big commitment/decision, thanks!

Hi all: Trying to decide which cruise to take to So. America in Jan, HAL Maasdam (47 days), HAL Prinsendam(67 days), or Ocean Princess (64 days)? Has anyone taken a long cruise on any of the three? Input greatly appreciated as this will be a big commitment/decision, thanks!

What exactly do you want to know? Do you have questions regarding the ships themselves or the ports? We took a long cruise around South America but not on any of the ships you mention. Looking at the itinerary of all, I would go on the longest one. Cape Horn and the Chilean Fjords are bucket-list material!!

Edited by Momis2

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We were on the Ocean Princess for 36 days and loved her. Total about 250 days on her.

The SA cruise will be her last. At the end of it she is off to Oceana

She is off to he Oceania Line, completely refurbished and renamed Sirena.

As to the cruise, we did it on HAL's Veendam. It's a toss up between Princess and HAL for me. I would take the shortest cruise on these small ships.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

In terms of the ships the Prinsendam is a step up from the other two ships you mentioned.

Do you want input on the ship, cruise line or the itinerary.

To me I would put a lot of focus on the itinerary.

Keith

It depends on how much time (and money ;)) you have to cruise, and what itinerary you're looking for.

The Prinsendam does a round-trip out of Ft. Lauderdale, which cuts way back on flying (a big plus), and a more extensive itinerary. (Be sure your choice is going to Antarctica, though. You don't want to go all that way and not make it there.)

She is an older ship, but lovingly cared for. She's grand, in a traditional sense. I've always said that if I do the South America cruise again, it will be this one.

I don't recall off-hand what itinerary the Maasdam is taking. If it's the regular Buenos Aires/Valparaiso run, it's a great cruise. The ship is in fine condition, and is a good size for both the seas and the ports (big enough for the seas; small enough that the ports aren't overwhelmed by passengers).

Can't help you about the other ship.