AdamT's Platinum Valor Review **photos** 6.30.13 to 7.7.13

adamt

Good evening folks.

This will be my first review, so I suppose i'll start by telling you a little bit about myself.

I'm a 34 year old married guy from TN (go Vols). DW is 32 and also a seasoned cruiser. This was a pretty special cruise because I finally hit my platinum status. I was excited to get this behind me before the rules changed. On this particular cruise we traveled with my in laws as well as my parents.

We had previously done this iten before and were just a bit concerned about the activity levels of our folks. I had told everyone before we went that this cruise would be go go go with only a single sea day on the 7 day iten.

We flew out of Knoxville at 11am on US. this would put us in San Juan right about 5pm. Just enough time to drop everything off to the hotel and then head out for lunch.

We got a great rate on the Ciqala hotel. Be warned, it's in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood, but the rooms are clean and the beds were some of the most comfortable i've ever slept on away from home.

2631759-Ciqala-Suites-Lobby-2-DEF.jpg

My mom is a big research person, like myself. She had reviewed some other trip sites and knew immediately that there was going to be an issue when they put her in 702. She had previously read that this particular room had issues with the air conditioner. She was totally right. Her room was like a sauna.

The front desk promptly moved my folks to the only other room they had available. The Penthouse Suite....at no extra charge! Their room was huuuuuge. It also had a large jacuzzi, a full kitchen and fridge, as well as a rainforest shower head. It was pretty amazing.

5350_1br_l.jpg

We flew out of Knoxville at 11am on US. this would put us in San Juan right about 5pm. Just enough time to drop everything off to the hotel and then head out for lunch.

We got a great rate on the Ciqala hotel. Be warned, it's in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood, but the rooms are clean and the beds were some of the most comfortable i've ever slept on away from home.

2631759-Ciqala-Suites-Lobby-2-DEF.jpg

My mom is a big research person, like myself. She had reviewed some other trip sites and knew immediately that there was going to be an issue when they put her in 702. She had previously read that this particular room had issues with the air conditioner. She was totally right. Her room was like a sauna.

The front desk promptly moved my folks to the only other room they had available. The Penthouse Suite....at no extra charge! Their room was huuuuuge. It also had a large jacuzzi, a full kitchen and fridge, as well as a rainforest shower head. It was pretty amazing.

5350_1br_l.jpg

Can u elaborate on sketchy? We r staying there in oct. and would like to get more info, ty!

There were never any physical threats, but the area just seemed a bit rough. Folks on the street yelling. The cab driver that dropped us off refused to pick anyone up on the street that was trying to hail him.

We dropped our things off, took a quick shower and headed out for dinner at my favorite restaurant in Old San Juan....Barachina. They claim to be the birthplace of the original Pina Colada. I'm always weary of claims like this. Regardless of if they were the first, they certainly make the best one i've ever had.

Every weekend they have Flamenco dancing. We didn't make the reservations to sit in the dining room with the dancing was happening, but we did eat and then go over and watch from outside. I'm a musician and was in awe of the rythem that these ladies had. The guitar player was strumming so hard, I don't know how the strings didn't pop off of his guitar. Soulful stuff, for sure.

5472970906_457c65a57d_z.jpg

The last time were were in SJ, I was able to talk my wife into sharing the Paella with me. I was raised on one pot dishes. My wife ate around the stuff she didn't like. I couldn't talk anyone into going halves with me this time around (Barrachina only serves this for two), so I decided to give another very PR dish a try. Mofongo. Shrimp, steak, and chicken.

I had always thought that this meat dish, on a bed of green plantains would be very very bland. It was anything but. I had no idea that they seasoned the plantain bed so much. It was SO good. I promptly came home and did some research for anywhere around me that serves this stuff....no dice.

mofongo.jpg

Mom and Dad throwing back a Pina Colada

momdadbarachina.jpg

My dad got the Red Snapper. I'm generally weary of fish on the bone. Nothing turns my stomach more than biting into a beef bone or chicken bone. This was completely different. The fish just flaked off of the bones. It was so easy to eat. Like the mofongo, it was seasoned perfectly, and the skin was super crispy. Perfect textual contrasts.

snapperpuertorico.jpg

One last thing about the Ciqala. Their mini bar prices were insane. 1.00 soft drinks and snacks, 2.00 beers, 3.00 liquors.

That's hardly retail. It was the cheapest beer we found the entire trip....even from the stores.

The room service prices were also quote cheap (for hotel standards). 6-10.00 for hot food. If you're getting in late, don't be afraid to just stay in and drink/eat.

After dinner we left to go get some provisions. About a block away from Barrachina, there is what seems to be a city center or a town square. From there we went into a small grocery store to purchase our drinks.

12 pack of water

12 pack of tonic (for my dad's sneaky gin)

12 pack of coke (for my sneaky rum)

6 monster rehab drinks (for my mornings after said sneaky drinks)

We also stepped in to Walgreens to get our wine.

I heard my wife squeal from 2 isles over. She had come upon her favorite candy in the world. I'm not sure why, but we can't get Buenos in the states. We promptly loaded up on them.

Kinder-Bueno-Wrapper-Small.jpg

We woke up the next morning. The Ciqala has, without question, the best included breakfast of any hotel i've ever stayed at.

The building was turned from a condo complex into a hotel. They took one of the penthouse suites, with a high end kitchen, and turned it into a breakfast area.

Omelets made to order, cereal, bagels, coffee, eggs, ham

I, unfortunately, didn't snap any pictures of this area, but it was beautifully appointed.

breakfast-room.jpg

Check out was at noon. We knew that the ship stated they would not board until 2. We decided to try it anyway...

UP NEXT.....FINALLY ON A SHIP! (With quite a few more pictures).....

Yeah.....another Valor review, can not wait to read what you did in each port and how the parents handled it all. We are cruising with the in-laws on this one in October, and I am concerned about all the activity even though they said they want to do everything with us.

We got to the ship right around 12:30. Ported our bags, and headed inside the terminal. The first "door man" grabbed my paperwork, confirmed the "priority" status on my booking, and then asked me how many were in my party. I pointed to my parents and in laws behind me, and he waved us all to the platinum line.

I had warned them both that because of this, we would be split up at check in. This was not the case. I think this had to do with the fact that we were so early, that the regular line was super short, so he went ahead and sent them with us. Regardless, they thought it was pretty awesome to do the "speedy checkin"

We made it to our room, got our luggage, sneaky drinks made it on. Went to the dining room as it was "come as you are" on day one, and then hit the sack for an early morning in St. Thomas.

Stop 1: St. Thomas

This would be our 3rd time to St. Thomas. We had snorkeled previously and enjoyed it, however we wanted to take a look at one of their beaches. After some research, A trip to Magens bay it was.

We caught an open air taxi for 8.00 and off we went. The entry into the bay was 4.00 per person. 50.00/ea if booked through carnival, 40.00 total if done on your own.

Magens was absolutely beautiful. We got there early, and were the only ship in port, so the crowd was pretty sparse.

IMG_0013.jpg

Blue, warm, clear, water. It was hard to get me out of it.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

The good thing about getting to Magens early was that there are a number of shady picnic tables that you can put your things at.

IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_6998.jpg

After a hard day in the water drinking adult beverages, the "old" folks were wearing down. :) I took the opportunity to snap a few photos.

IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

On the way back, the driver made a stop at an overlook for us to take pictures. there were a few vendors there selling some odds and ends. They weren't pushy, and it was a fantastic view of the ship.

The woodpecker might have to go. this made us chuckle.

IMG_7023.jpg

Snapped this sign on the way to the overlook

IMG_7024.jpg

Overlook pics

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

IMG_7028.jpg

Not to bounce around, but when we had boarded, there was a package in our room. My sweet lil lady had purchased the Carnival soft sided cooler, 4 cups, 2 bottle koozies, and 4 beers for me! SCORE

This soft sided cooler came in great for all of our beach trips. Our room steward also kept it full of ice the whole week, so we had ice cold drinks (as our fridge wasn't that cold.

1stdaybeergift.jpg

The next day was our only sea day. Nothing really spectacular to report here. That night, I did receive my platinum gift. I had my fingers crossed for a Tervis tumbler as I don't like to wear hats, especially in hot weather. After dinner, we walked in and....................

::PRICE IS RIGHT FAIL MUSIC::

IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7133.jpg

I ended up giving the cap to my dad who is prone to a sunburnt head. They were nice Nike golf hats, just not my style.

Edited by adamt