AdamT's Platinum Valor Review **photos** 6.30.13 to 7.7.13

adamt

My husband and I are sitting here enjoying your review. Can't wait to sail in 38 days! I will be sharing this review with our group of 24. We want more, we want more . . . can't wait to read more. :D

Adam. thanks for posting another GREAT Valor review.

Sailing her on 8/4 and this review just makes my mouth water and my eyes tear.

I am also traveling with my in-laws (mother, father, sister and brother) plus my family.

Glad you had a great time.

Keep it coming.

Mitch...

Adam, do you know what prices were like when you went to the grocery store in San Juan? Also, what method did your group use for sneaking liquor? Thanks so much for this review.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Adam, do you know what prices were like when you went to the grocery store in San Juan? Also, what method did your group use for sneaking liquor? Thanks so much for this review.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The prices were very reasonable. Very similar to prices in the States. Maybe 4.00 for the 12 packs, 10-15 per bottle of wine, and 1.50/ea for the Monster Rehabs. 1.00/ea for the Buenos, and 15.00 for the bottle of Coconut Rum.

We buy 4 pack of 6oz travel containers from walmart. They're clear and unmarked. This fit most of the rum we got on board. We always bring tape a bubble wrap to tape up the liquor we buy and bring back in our checked luggage. We tape the top of the containers down so they don't pop open, and then also put them in a ziploc bag.

Similar to these

$T2eC16F,!yUE9s6NEHgfBRRh4DU4gQ~~60_35.JPG

What type of camera did you use for the underwater shots?

We've got an Canon T2i. We got a smaller Canon 16g SD camera for Christmas this year. We were getting ready to buy a Canon underwater case for around 300.00, but we found a MUCH cheaper alternative on Amazon. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to link it directly, but here is a picture of it.

It's 19.99 and it's a Polaroid waterproof housing for any camera. The back of the housing is a very flexible plastic so you can manipulate the buttons, zoom, and snap functions. It worked perfectly. There were a number of folks who had problems with it because they put their cameras wrist wrap through the casing and outside of the case......making the waterproof function void. Either way, it was 19.99 WELL spent.

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Dive-Rated-Waterproof-Housing-Powershot/dp/B0050051QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373733265&sr=8-1&keywords=underwater+polaroid

710GQfLIjWL._SL1200_.jpg

We've got an Canon T2i. We got a smaller Canon 16g SD camera for Christmas this year. We were getting ready to buy a Canon underwater case for around 300.00, but we found a MUCH cheaper alternative on Amazon. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to link it directly, but here is a picture of it.

It's 19.99 and it's a Polaroid waterproof housing for any camera. The back of the housing is a very flexible plastic so you can manipulate the buttons, zoom, and snap functions. It worked perfectly. There were a number of folks who had problems with it because they put their cameras wrist wrap through the casing and outside of the case......making the waterproof function void. Either way, it was 19.99 WELL spent.

I don't know why/how I hadn't found this before when I was looking for a waterproof case!! Thanks so much - this will definitely be worth it for our spare camera.

It has to be relatively new from Polaroid. We have been looking at waterproof camera solutions.

we found this on a general search for waterproof camera case. It hadn't appeared in this search before a few weeks ago.

Perfect timing.

Wow, thanks for the waterproof case idea, we were just looking at buying a waterproof camera(had previously used DH company go pro, but without a viewfinder I always end up with horrible pictures), but this just might do the trick!

Send from iphone 5 using Cruise Critic App

After Barbados, we were pretty beat. We didn't eat the rest of the day after lunch, because we had reservations that night at the steak house.

We were really looking forward to it.

Now let's just be honest....i'm not a slight man. I.CAN.EAT. I love red meat, so I was really looking forward to the Ribeye. I can't remember the last time I left a bite of steak on my plate, and the steakhouse defeated me. Everything was so good and well well worth the upcharge to participate.

For 35.00 the amount of food they give you is INSANE. I asked our waitress if anyone had ever finished their meal, to which she replied, "rarely". The cheesecake, specifically, seemed like it was a quarter of a WHOLE cheesecake.

Pics below - The cork fee for your wine seems a bit higher in the steak house. I believe it's 9.99 in the main dining room, and 14.99 in the steak house. Didn't really understand this up sell, especially since you're paying the up charge for the food.

Regardless, we all agreed it was money well spent.

Alright folks:

An amuse-bouche [aˌmyzˈbuʃ] (plural amuse-bouches) or amuse-gueule [aˌmyzˈɡœl] is a single, bite-sized hors d’œuvre.[1] Amuse-bouches are different from appetizers in that they are not ordered from a menu by patrons, but, when served, are done so for free and according to the chef's selection alone.....

or in common AdamT speak....apps before the apps.

Tiny tomato soup

IMG_7223.jpg

Salmon something or other

IMG_7222.jpg

Apps after the apps before the apps.....

or in AdamT speak......regular apps.

Lobster Bisque

IMG_7229.jpg

Tomato salad

IMG_7228.jpg

I wish they would make their shrimp cocktail dining room wide. They were 3 times the size of the MDR shrimp. So good and ice cold.

IMG_7227.jpg

Portabella Mushrooms

IMG_7226.jpg

Tuna tar tar - I honestly thought this would be really fishy. Not the case. It almost tasted more like a ceviche, as it was flavored with a citrus. Very good and very refreshing.

IMG_7225.jpg

Beef Carpachio - I was honestly disappointed in this one. Beef was so thin it was almost like a spread. No seasoning and no real beef flavor...just sort of....mush. The bread/cheese had more taste than the beef. Wouldn't order this one again, would get the tar tar.

IMG_7224.jpg

Main course -

Filet - this was across the table so i didn't get a really good pic.

IMG_7232.jpg

HUUUUGE Ribeye. The scale is hard to grasp, but if you look at my full sized steak knife, next to the plate, you can see how long this steak actually is.

IMG_7231.jpg

Filet and Lobster - This is probably what I would go with the next time. Nice sized lobster tails and a 6oz filet.

IMG_7230.jpg

Finish it off -

chocolate sampler

IMG_7236.jpg

Washington Apples

IMG_7235.jpg

Cheesecake, with full sized spoon for scale.

IMG_7234.jpg

None of these deserts were eaten entirely. We were all so stuffed, but at least wanted to try everything. It felt wasteful to leave so much food uneaten, but what could you do? I would almost suggest that Carnival drop the price a bit, and lower their oz or portion sizes to offset the lower cost. The volume of food was obscene...even by Western standards.

Would we do it again.....YES!

Was it worth it...to me...YES

Was I up all night with indigestion....YES

This is my, "dear god i'm so full" face....

you can tell, because i don't have my thumbs up.

IMG_7221.jpg