AdamT's Platinum Valor Review **photos** 6.30.13 to 7.7.13

adamt

Nice review and the pics really add to keeping you reading. My mother was born and raised in Tellico Plains, TN. All my cousins live there as well - in Maryville.

Small world. I actually live in Blount Co. Maryville is a fantastic place to call home.

15-20 minutes. It's on the other side of the island, but it's not that far.

There was some road construction near the cruise port which was backed up when we made our way back around 2pm, so the drive back, with the stop, was quite a bit longer.

Was it easy to get a Cab from the beach? 1st time cruiser here :). I can't wait!

Generally, we see if the driver who brings us can pick is up. This is what we did in St. Thomas. He was waiting on us 30 minutes prior to when we told him we wanted to leave.

Had he not shown up, there were drivers lined up to transport folks. You should have no problem getting a cab anywhere on these islands.

I found a few more St. Thomas pics that I thought you may want to see.

Magens Bay Water - So blue and clear.

IMG_0017.jpg

These guys were everywhere. I love green igauanas. I've had 2 as pets, and seeing them in the wild is always a bit trippy for me. Regardless, very cool to see him just hanging out in the parking lot.

IMG_6969.jpg

This was right before we pulled out of St. Thomas. It's hazy, so the water isn't as blue as it usually is. St. Thomas, by far, is one of the most beautiful ports to watch while you're docking. I could totally scratch out a living on one of those sail boats for the rest of of my life.

IMG_7065.jpg

We woke up the next day in one of our favorite places, Barbados.

We chose to snorkel with the turtles today. There were two excursions offered by Carnival. We chose the one that was the "Ultimate" catamaran and turtle encounter. It was around 20.00 more than the "regular", but having taken it before, we knew it included all the free drinks, and a killer lunch on board the boat.

As mentioned before, this would be our 2nd cruise. Our catamaran was the Tiami2. These guys (seem to) love their job, and it completely translates to all of those on board. They don't just go through the motions. These guys made an effort to sit and speak with EVERYONE on board. Their service standards were amazing.

No drinking until AFTER the turtles.

We pulled up to the snorkling spot and it was PACKED. There were 3 boat loads of school children, 4 other catamarans, and a few private boats. It was a little unnerving to be around outboard motors in such a tight space.

Having done this before, there didn't seem to be as many turtles here as there was the first time. Our captain said that the large crowds generally shy them away. We still have a freakin blast in the water. This was the first time my mom had actually snorkeled. There was that one time we took a stingray excursion and she never got off of the boat....but that's a long story for another day:) - ON TO SOME BARBADOS/TURTLE ACTION

Gearing up to get in. don't forget your "happy strap" on your life vest.

I'm also noticing that i like to give the thumbs up in pictures. I suppose it's better than a thumbs down

IMG_0067.jpg

Mom, ready to roll

IMG_0066.jpg

Dad.....looking at the bar.

IMG_0065.jpg

On your way out to the turtles, the Tiami2 also served pastries and coffee/juice/coke. Again, super nice trip.

Is it possible that water could be clearer and bluer than that in St. Thomas.....

YES!

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

I took the opportunity to get to know some of the locals. I told them to wave to the camera......only 1 did. The rest seem un amused.

IMG_0076.jpg

After you're done snorkeling with turtles, they take you to a beach stop. They dock about 15ft from the shore and you can swim, snorkel a reef, or just go walk the beach. It was absolutely beautiful.

IMG_0152.jpg

I'm not sure what they are (we saw them everywhere in Jamaica), but these flowers smell amazing.

IMG_0149.jpg

view down the beach.

IMG_0141-1.jpg

Very nice house on the beach. aKa - AdamT's future Barbados compound.

IMG_7175.jpg

After beach time was over, it was about a 1.5hr ride back to the ship.

The rum did flow.

If you weren't a run fan, they had every other spirit you could ever want. I settled on the malibu and pineapple. At last count, I think i had 4 or 5. It was hot and they went down soooooooooo easy.

They also served lunch at this time. I didn't get any pictures of this, unfortunately. Jerk Chicken, rice, tossed salad, cucumber salad, flying fish (Barbados staple dish), and one other side.....i can't recall. It was awesome. Be weary of the Barbados hot sauce. It's mustard yellow with red flecks in it. It will light you up, but again, SOOOOO good.

Ash was making a few rounds on the boat (social butterfly), and asked one of the mates if she could get a pic with the bartender, who kept us in stitches the entire trip. Before he snapped the photo of her, he turned the camera around and took a quick selfie....this was the result.

lol

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7212.jpg

This cruise is sponsored by.....Rum

IMG_7185.jpg

Alas, it was time to head back to the ship. I'm not sure this excursion would ever get old. I could do it over and over again. It was around 100.00pp, but it was all day, included food and alcohol, and was, by far, the best excursion of the trip.

As we were walking back to the ship, the guys, who had been posted up all day, were playing steel drums. They had a huge tip jar and were raking it in. I took a pic and slipped em a few bucks for the soundtrack of my Barbados exit.

Until next time, Barbados.

IMG_0175.jpg

We leave for San Juan a week from tomorrow. I think the Barbados excursion which we signed up for the same one, is one of the excursions we are most looking forward to. If I choose to not do any others, this is the one I'm looking forward to. I'm so glad you took it so that I can truly find out what it was like :). Keep the review coming, I'm counting down the days!!