What to expect on a May cruise

Grannycb

Unlike most, our cruise isn't in the fall. There's lots of information on what to expect in September and October but very little on spring cruises. I have some questions. I hope someone has some answers. They would be most appreciated.

Our ports are:

Quebec City

Sailing the St. Lawrence

Prince Edward Island

Sydney

Halifax

Bar Harbor

Boston (flying directly home after cruise)

What should we expect in terms of weather for mid to late May?

Will there be flowers/trees/shrubs blooming?

Are there any season specific things happening in spring?

Are there gardens or scenery that might be especially pretty then?

Well in Nova Scotia our springs come late. There will be trees in blossom and a few with leaves coming out. Quebec should be ahead of us.

The weather could be all over the place. We often have lovely warm days but it would cool off at night. Of course, being spring, there can be rain, and because the ocean will still be cold there will be fog along the coasts on many days.

Bring layers: wind/waterproof jacket with hood, sweater, etc.

This is worrying for us. We are due in Sydney on 31st May and then doing 7 ports in the St. Lawrence (up to Montreal), followed by Corner Brook and St. John's in mid June. We had hoped for some pleasant weather, at that time.

The fog is particularly disconcerting, we were thinking of taking a trip to Louisbourg Fort, but are now thinking we may not see much around about. How common is fog at that time of year?

This is worrying for us. We are due in Sydney on 31st May and then doing 7 ports in the St. Lawrence (up to Montreal), followed by Corner Brook and St. John's in mid June. We had hoped for some pleasant weather, at that time.

The fog is particularly disconcerting, we were thinking of taking a trip to Louisbourg Fort, but are now thinking we may not see much around about. How common is fog at that time of year?

I took a tour of the Louisbourg Fortress in May. It was foggy on our way there and part of our visit on site. Many of the things to see were inside. Eventually the fog lifted so we were able to see the outside of the buildings well. On our way back to the ship we stopped at a viewpoint and were able to take nice sea pictures.

Thanks for that Jolie_Cruiser it does not sound too bad and is certiainly better than rain, which must be a risk anywhere on that cruise.

We may be able to go for a later departure, so the fog is more likely to have cleared before we set off.

Well in Nova Scotia our springs come late. There will be trees in blossom and a few with leaves coming out. Quebec should be ahead of us.

The weather could be all over the place. We often have lovely warm days but it would cool off at night. Of course, being spring, there can be rain, and because the ocean will still be cold there will be fog along the coasts on many days.

Bring layers: wind/waterproof jacket with hood, sweater, etc.

We did a cruise similar to this last July and it was so foggy most of the time, we couldn't even see the smoke stack on the ship. If I close my eyes I can still hear that fog horn going off every 5 minutes.

So fog isn't prevalent to May or early June.

Cheers

Len

That was very unfortunate Giantfan13 , I hope you got some enjoyment out of your cruise.

We have a lot of time crossing the Atlantic both ways, so will have to keep our fingers crossed it is not too bad when we get over there. Think I will look into indoor museums etc in the various ports though, so we are not completely snookered if the weather is that bad.

Then again we could make a study of the bars in the different ports - I think that will keep my husband fairly happy somehow.

While going through the Québec threads, I stumbled across this one where a cruiser also asks info about the weather in May. Many posters posted info.

Here is the link:

"Canada and New England: Month of May":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1972914&highlight=quebec

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

Thanks for that Jolie. I found a lot more info from that and the other links provided.

We are off to the Solar Eclipse and Northern Lights, late March and a Norweigian Fjords in early May. That last one will leave us just 10 days to get home and then be ready to leave for Canada on May 22nd. So we have a busy time ahead and any weather in Canada on the last day of May and early June will seem really warm compared to Northern Norway in March - reviews mention -27C last year!

• 2 weeks later...

We are having further thoughts on our day in Sydney at the end of May.

We had intended to take the ship's trip to Louisberg Fortress, but as fog is fairly common at that time of year, we are thinking it may be better to go to the Alexander Bell Museum and Baddick, because fog is usually worse around coasts and we are hoping it will not be so bad at Baddick.

We would have an hour of free time after the museum visit, so a more sheltered location would be appealing as we will be spending 7 of the previous 8 days at sea en route from the UK. I also get the impression that the coach journey to Baddick will be more scenic. In either event we would hope for an early start to the trip, so we can have time in Sydney in the afternoon.

If we do visit Canada again, it would probably be by air and in the autumn, though we may do an eastern seaboard cruise as part of that visit, so we may, possibly but not necessarily, visit Sydney again.

Any advise would be most welcome, regarding the trips, as well as the weather.

Barbara

Edited by tring

We are having further thoughts on our day in Sydney at the end of May.

We had intended to take the ship's trip to Louisberg Fortress, but as fog is fairly common at that time of year, we are thinking it may be better to go to the Alexander Bell Museum and Baddick, because fog is usually worse around coasts and we are hoping it will not be so bad at Baddick.

If we do visit Canada again, it would probably be by air and in the autumn, though we may do an eastern seaboard cruise as part of that visit, so we may, possibly but not necessarily, visit Sydney again.

Any advise would be most welcome, regarding the trips, as well as the weather.

Barbara

If you plan on visiting Louisbourg Fortress, either in May or Sept/Oct, you should check with them first. I am pretty certain that while it is open, the number of staff/actors is greatly reduced before/after a certain date. See the link below:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/visit/heures-hours.aspx

Edited by DaveOKC

I was on a cruise that left Quebec in late May and it was a lovely spring day. When got to St. John's in early June, it was snowing and there were icebergs in the harbor. That was the coldest day I have ever had on a cruise. We had to buy extra layers in St. John's during our tours.

I was on a cruise that left Quebec in late May and it was a lovely spring day. When got to St. John's in early June, it was snowing and there were icebergs in the harbor. That was the coldest day I have ever had on a cruise. We had to buy extra layers in St. John's during our tours.

I think I am getting the picture. Actually I have a rather nice framed photograph of an iceberg in St. John's harbour on my lounge wall, which was given to us by my brother and his wife who live in St. Johns - I did not think it was taken in June, but who knows!! Being British does mean that weather is not always a major issue, but some good visibility would be nice. In Britain fog is often localised near the coast, so we were thinking that Baddick, which is a further inland, might have clearer visibility, but Louisbourg does sound a lot more interesting even if the costumed guides are not there. We will have to think about it.

Thanks for the replies, Dave and ellieanne,

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring

In previous posts I have read that if you are on a ship's tour to Louisbourg there will be some more in the way of animation (costumed interpreters) in Louisbourg than the normal (which in May is next to none.)

Baddeck is a great choice. It is a scenic drive and easy to do yourself. If it is a good day weather wise you could take this route: https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Esplanade,+Sydney,+Nova+Scotia&daddr=Baddeck,+NS+to:Highland+Village+Museum,+Iona,+NS+to:Christmas+Island,+NS+to:Esplanade,+Sydney,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.004261,-62.918551&sspn=9.243121,21.643066&geocode=FcgPwAId-nZp_Ck3cZLkLvtnSzGi1NYfQuHwCg%3BFc1tvwIdDPVg_CnPkSNJLGJdSzHz0SeXSM56XA%3BFdAavQIdeP5f_CG2yRxIglYbMClzW4iptGldSzG2yRxIglYbMA%3BFRVTvQIdPNpg_CmZziwES11dSzEAyrn5qH_PAw%3BFcgPwAId-nZp_Ck3cZLkLvtnSzGi1NYfQuHwCg&oq=es&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

Edited by maryann ns

Thank you maryann, it is good to know those things.

I can see the appeal of independent travel, but we do not want to drive as we would be on the, 'wrong side of the road', from our perspective and I do not have a licence, (for medical reasons), so my husband would be the only driver. If we do return for a land holiday, we would definately hire a car though.

We can get a half day ship's trip for about £45 each, (about $95 Canadian total cost to us), and then have time to see Sydney as well which sounds a good way of spending one day, so we will either do the Baddick or Louisboug trip. If it is a foggy day, is it more likely to be worse on the coast by Louisboug and a bit clearer in Baddick, or does it tend to be the same over the whole island? I have seen a weather website that says there are 12 days of fog in May, which is why we are so concerned.

I do not know for sure about the fog as I do not live in Cape Breton and have not been there in May that I can recall. The water in the Bras D'Or Lakes (really an inlet of the ocean) may be a bit warmer which may reduce the chance of fog. Even in the fog, Louisbourg would be interesting.

I do not know for sure about the fog as I do not live in Cape Breton and have not been there in May that I can recall. The water in the Bras D'Or Lakes (really an inlet of the ocean) may be a bit warmer which may reduce the chance of fog. Even in the fog, Louisbourg would be interesting.

Thank you very much, you have been most helpful about a number of things. I will be sure to write a review, whatever we decide to do - but I think that my husband will swing the decision to Louisbourg as he has a great interest in history.

We would like to spend longer in so many places - a cruise does have it's disadvantages. From our point of view though, this one maximises our time away from home with a much lower cost as we do not need to fly over there and pay for travel between bases in Canada. Also, our ship is sailing from Liverpool, which is only a twenty minute taxi ride from home, so we do not need any travel or hotel night in the UK which is really good. We just need to follow on with a land trip.

Thanks again,

Barbara

Louisbourg is still amazing in the fog, just wear lots of layers and a hat. I have been there many times in the off season and enjoyed the smaller crowds. Participating is a small tour with an animator once at this Historic National Park adds to the experience. Hot chocolate was included and fireplaces are lit in the buildings

As far as our weather here in Nova Scotia, I have been swimming in the ocean on occasion in May due to the warm air temperatures although not many friends will join me this early. It is also lobster season in late May in Cape Breton so that is an added bonus.

I think it is a perfect time to travel down east- just expect variable temperatures.

• 1 month later...

Fog in the Maritime Provinces can happen any time of day 12 months a year (Ice Fog in Dec, Jan, Feb). Temperatures can fluctuate wildly over the course of one day. Yesterday I left home at 7:00 am in fog, rain and 2 degrees celsius, by 4:00 pm it was sunny and 20 degrees celsius and had started to rain again when I got home At 9:00 pm. So don't worry too much about the weather because anything can happen regardless of what time of year.

Come and enjoy the beauty and the friendly people!

We have had a late spring this year and in PEI and parts of NB the snowplows had to go out in some areas this week. The forecast for next week appears to be warm and sunny. We had quite the miserable winter this year but hopefully spring is finally here.

Yes, there is still snow on the ground in places and ice on the water, including in Cape Breton and this is causing more fog than usual, even inland. This has been the snowiest, longest winter I remember.

However this next week is due to be warm and sunny and that will go a long way to getting rid of the snow and ice.

I'm wishing warm weather to come your way! Let all the winter stuff will be long gone in three weeks then we arrive. And, hopefully the puffins will be back by then too. Thanks for all the updates.

I will also mention that it can be a beautiful day in Sydney and be completely different in Louisbourg, so don't dress for the weather when you get off the ship, plan for the worst and hope for the best!