If you are flying Delta you better check flights?

SheltieLady

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would give you aheads up, for our upcoming cruise in January we did the air thru the cruiseline and in fact upgrade our seats to First Class and the direct flights Salt Lake City to Fort Lauderdale, well I was on the Delta Airlines site today and low and behold our direct flight are not there anymore. Well let me rephrase that they are there but with major times changes. We were schedule to fly out on Jan 12 at 9:50 am to Fort Lauderdale now the flight leaves at 5:30 pm arriving at midnight on the return we were schedule to leave Fort Lauderdale at 5:15 p.m. now the direct leaves at 7:05 in the morning.

Call my TA she is on vacation but another associate helped me, she said she would call Delta and the cruiseline never heard back so I drove down to the TA office, another lady helped me pulled my file from the other associate this is what the cruiseline had put is on.

Jan 12 Salt Lake City to Orlando (first class)

Orlando to Fort Lauderdale (no first class)

Jan 21 Fort Lauderdale to Cinncinati (first class)

Cinncinati to Salt Lake (first class)

I told the agent these flights would not do as we had paid for first class and we wanted first class all the way. So after an hour on the phone with the cruiseline we got it finally sorted out. The agent could not believe these flight and wondered why they did not route us thru Atlanta. So now we have our new flights.

Jan 12 Salt Lake City to Atlanta (first class) leaving at 7:00 am

Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale (first class)

Jan 21 Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta (first class) leaving at 4:40 pm at least we can still do the tour of the Everglades thru the cruiseline

Atlanta to Salt Lake City (first class) we now arrive home at 11:00 pm instead of 8:00 pm.

The ta that help me ask me how I knew about the change I told her I checked Delta's website I sure glad I did she told me thanks the ta had not been informed by the cruiseline or the airline of the change. I would suggest you check your flight times because Delta have done major changes I should of know something was going on as my ta notified me of a change in flight # and times for our trip to Las Vegas in October on Delta.

Christine

Yikes! I didn't even realize this board existed! I'm ready to book my air for our June 2007 cruise. Delta happens to have the best price/time and size planes we are looking for. Now I'm reading about all these changes and panic is setting in :( Is it typical for just Delta to do this or is this a common issue with all airlines? I had planned on booking a 7am flight a day earlier to avoid the craziness at the airport. The flights that get changed are they typically a certain time of day or is it random?? I've flown 3 round trip flights in the last 3 years and the only change was an added 30 minute layover. If they change your flights do you still get to choose the seating options such as sitting together and an aisle seat? I was going to book the flight tonight but I'll wait for replies first. Thank you for everyone that replies!

Yikes! I didn't even realize this board existed! I'm ready to book my air for our June 2007 cruise. Delta happens to have the best price/time and size planes we are looking for. Now I'm reading about all these changes and panic is setting in :( Is it typical for just Delta to do this or is this a common issue with all airlines? I had planned on booking a 7am flight a day earlier to avoid the craziness at the airport. The flights that get changed are they typically a certain time of day or is it random?? I've flown 3 round trip flights in the last 3 years and the only change was an added 30 minute layover. If they change your flights do you still get to choose the seating options such as sitting together and an aisle seat? I was going to book the flight tonight but I'll wait for replies first. Thank you for everyone that replies!

It's hard to say I think Delta is moving planes and change flights because of there bankruptcy and restructure I would book the flights you want but keep an eye on them especially as you are not flying till June 2007 I would check them at least once a month and as it get closer I would check more often. You might be okay as Delta is hoping to come out of bankruptcy sometime early 2007. If they change you flight you can still choose your seats I did today with the ta.

Hope this helps.

Christine

Looks like you have the following itinerary:

SLC-ATL DL1453 7:00am 12:40pm 757

ATL-FLL DL1682 2:02pm 3:50pm 757

This is good, in that the 757 has a better first class seating arrangement than the 767 (wider seats, equal pitch). You'll likely get breakfast between SLC and ATL, but nothing between ATL and FLL.

FLL-ATL DL499 4:40pm 6:35pm 757

ATL-SLC DL355 8:55pm 10:56pm 737-800

Again, you get the 757 along with the 738, which has seats about as wide as the 757. You won't be getting dinner out of ATL (too late at night), so use the 2:20 layover to get some groceries in your system. There are a couple of sitdown places for dinner at ATL - you might try Chili's in the A Concourse inside security. Why depend on the vagaries of a "snack" between ATL and SLC.

You can get details on all Delta aircraft at THIS LINK.

Airlines make schedule/flight changes. Fact of life. Get used to it if you plan to fly.

I highly recommend that you read THIS THREAD. And, not so humbly, I especially suggest that EVERYONE who flies read THIS PARTICULAR POST.

The key to managing travel nowdays is information and knowledge. The travel industry is in constant flux and nothing can be assumed to be carved in stone. There are many tricks to keeping it the way you want - the first is to BE IN COMMAND of your situation. Don't wait to find out things by accident - proactively research your situation and keep abreast of the details.

I drove down to the TA office, another lady helped me pulled my file from the other associate this is what the cruiseline had put is on.

Christine

I think you are crazy for not taking these flights... less time in air, the Orlando to FLL is like 30 minutes, BUT the big difference is it is easy to switch gates in Orlando but you have the Delta Hell in Atlanta.

To each their own.....

The bottom line is that all airlines change flight schedules. Therefore, it is important to check schedules regularly. In addition, they also change equipment so you need to check your assigned seating at the same time, especially if you are flying with your family or a group and want to sit together.

I think you are crazy for not taking these flights... less time in air, the Orlando to FLL is like 30 minutes, BUT the big difference is it is easy to switch gates in Orlando but you have the Delta Hell in Atlanta.

To each their own.....

What exactly is Delta He** in Atlanta? Being fairly niave to the ins and outs of flying and not having flown into Atlanta in the past this confused me?

Airlines make schedule/flight changes. Fact of life. Get used to it if you plan to fly.

I highly recommend that you read THIS THREAD. And, not so humbly, I especially suggest that EVERYONE who flies read THIS PARTICULAR POST.

The key to managing travel nowdays is information and knowledge. The travel industry is in constant flux and nothing can be assumed to be carved in stone. There are many tricks to keeping it the way you want - the first is to BE IN COMMAND of your situation. Don't wait to find out things by accident - proactively research your situation and keep abreast of the details.

Thank you for posting this and for your post on the previous thread. This is especially informative for someone like myself who doesn't have the advantage of frequent flier experience. I certainly do not object to changes and adjustments that work within my needs. This is the reason we are flying in the day before and leaving the day after. It allows for more flexibility and alot less stress. I will keep an eye on the flights after they are booked for all of the potential changes mentioned. This is also why I prefer to do my OWN booking :) The one question I still have and didn't see answered was if this is more of an issue with flying Delta or common amoung all airlines? Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience :)

It is true that most airlines are constantly switiching times, flight numbers, etc, It is wise to watch your flights. It is smart to fly down the day before. Airlines are pretty unreliable now. We have flights next month and the itinerary has changed twice in one month..;)

To each their own.....

I did take this flight as the aircraft from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale was a small plane I paid for first class and my dh is a white knuckled flyer and does not want to go on a small plane. If I wanted to go by Orlando I would of booked that in the first place. Even the ta said you paid for first class all segments should be first class

Christine

Looks like you have the following itinerary:

SLC-ATL DL1453 7:00am 12:40pm 757

ATL-FLL DL1682 2:02pm 3:50pm 757

This is good, in that the 757 has a better first class seating arrangement than the 767 (wider seats, equal pitch). You'll likely get breakfast between SLC and ATL, but nothing between ATL and FLL.

FLL-ATL DL499 4:40pm 6:35pm 757

ATL-SLC DL355 8:55pm 10:56pm 737-800

Again, you get the 757 along with the 738, which has seats about as wide as the 757. You won't be getting dinner out of ATL (too late at night), so use the 2:20 layover to get some groceries in your system. There are a couple of sitdown places for dinner at ATL - you might try Chili's in the A Concourse inside security. Why depend on the vagaries of a "snack" between ATL and SLC.

You can get details on all Delta aircraft at THIS LINK.

Yes these are flights thanks for the tip about eating in ATL on the return flight. We do get a snack in first class but who knows what that will be. I will keep a close eye on these flights, I had been checking and the last time it still was our direct flights. I will keep on top of it.

Christine

I have been flying Delta for a long time and this situation is not because of the bankruptcy. I have had my flights booked far in advance changed. Doesn't happen often but it does happen. I have had the same thing with American too and I haven't flown them much at all. Airlines will start cutting out flights and changing times if they do not see certain flights booking up.

What exactly is Delta He** in Atlanta? Being fairly niave to the ins and outs of flying and not having flown into Atlanta in the past this confused me?

There are six concourses that Delta uses in Atlanta. All long with no moving walkways. Also there is a problem with "delayed" luggage in Atlanta. I had to stop flying Delta thru Atlanta because my last three flights were cancelled or got into Atlanta too late for my connecting flight. Summer thunder storms close down Atlanta a lot. I do some weekends in Tampa from my job in Roanoke. I was booking a Friday night flight, but three times it turned into a Saturday morning flight. And one of those did not get me into Tampa until 2 in the afternoon, really kills a "weekend" in Tampa.

I did take this flight as the aircraft from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale was a small plane I paid for first class and my dh is a white knuckled flyer and does not want to go on a small plane. If I wanted to go by Orlando I would of booked that in the first place. Even the ta said you paid for first class all segments should be first class

I do not know when your flight is but do not count on their being First Class seats in your plane. Currently Delta is using their Song jets to fill in for their own jets. About a month ago, I flew on a Song to Atlanta from Tampa and it was a last minute plane switch and 80% of the people had to get new seats at the gate.

I just checked and all the Delta flights from Orlando to Fll are on commuter jets and I love them. Fast on Fast off. Remember it is your luggage changing planes in Atlanta, lots of luck...

Blackbird is a Suspenders and belt man :) when it comes to my flight down to a cruise. I will be driving 3 hours to Charlotte NC from Roanoke, overnighting in a hotel so that I can catch the morning direct flight to Barbados for my Turkey Day cruise. I could take a US Air plane from Roanoke to Charlotte and hope my luggage makes it to Barbados ........

We're booked on Delta for our Feb. 2007 cruise from San Juan. In the past month, there have been two schedule changes to our flights. I check online almost every day to see if there are any changes, so that if there are, I can deal with it (i.e., make sure the connections work, deal with seat assignments, etc.) before the masses.

Now the bright side: We originally booked using SkyMiles, and the only seats out of San Juan we could get using SkyMiles were on a flight leaving around 4:00 p.m. This would have meant a lot of waiting around after leaving the ship, and arriving home (after a connection in ATL) at almost midnight.

After Delta cancelled that flight, we were able to book seats on a flight leaving San Juan at around noon. These seats were not originally available using SkyMiles. Worked out for the best!

A tip: If you are notified of a cancellation or schedule change, do some research before calling the airline. Know what flights will work for your needs and suggest them before the airline makes its suggestion. Make it easy for them to give you what you want.

I'm afraid frequent flight changes are just part of air travel now. That's why I try book directly with the airline (even if I'm not using frequent flyer miles), to allow for easiest communication when issues have to be addressed.

It is true that most airlines are constantly switiching times, flight numbers, etc, It is wise to watch your flights. It is smart to fly down the day before. Airlines are pretty unreliable now. We have flights next month and the itinerary has changed twice in one month..;)
Thanks to all for the heads-up. I checked our flights for Nov 30, and found the departure time had changed from 6:10 AM to 8:39 AM :) YEAH!!! We're seasoned travelors, but we got lazy, now I'll keep checking.:o

After Delta cancelled that flight, we were able to book seats on a flight leaving San Juan at around noon. These seats were not originally available using SkyMiles. Worked out for the best!

Sidenote: San Juan has a rule for Sat and Sun only that you can not check your baggage over 4 hours before a flight. I had a 4:30 flight out of San Juan after my Mar. Silver Whisper cruise. Silverseas did provide a mini tour of San Juan after we got off but still I got to the airport at 10:30 and with hours to kill sitting with my luggage outside of the airport until the magic check in time.

So you got luck with the new flight. :)

Same here! I would take the Orlando and Cinncinati stop overs anytime. Cincinnati is a great airport!! We flew into Atlanta (luckily after a cruise) and you guessed it luggage lost!!!!! Hopefully things will go smooth for you!

If you are concerned about "lost" luggage, I would suggest reading THIS POST and THIS POST for ways to mitigate the problem.

Yes, there can be airport-specific problems with luggage (for example: USAirways at PHL (labor issues), Denver's automated baggage system (mechanical problems) et al) but most problems come from the causes mentioned in the posts. And you CAN reduce the likelihood that it will happen to you.

If you are concerned about "lost" luggage, I would suggest reading THIS POST and THIS POST for ways to mitigate the problem.

Yes, there can be airport-specific problems with luggage (for example: USAirways at PHL (labor issues), Denver's automated baggage system (mechanical problems) et al) but most problems come from the causes mentioned in the posts. And you CAN reduce the likelihood that it will happen to you.

Thank you for this post I will do what the suggestions state, you have put my mind to ease about flying thru Atlanta and lost luggage I'm also going to take a digital picture of my luggage with the straps on and take with me in my carry on luggage so in case they do get lost I have picture of what they look like it might not help but worth a try. We didn't pick Cinncinati as there is a good chance of snow or ice and we are already leaving Salt Lake City and most likely will be sitting on our plane while they de-ice the wings.

Christine

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would give you aheads up, for our upcoming cruise in January we did the air thru the cruiseline and in fact upgrade our seats to First Class and the direct flights Salt Lake City to Fort Lauderdale, well I was on the Delta Airlines site today and low and behold our direct flight are not there anymore. Well let me rephrase that they are there but with major times changes. We were schedule to fly out on Jan 12 at 9:50 am to Fort Lauderdale now the flight leaves at 5:30 pm arriving at midnight on the return we were schedule to leave Fort Lauderdale at 5:15 p.m. now the direct leaves at 7:05 in the morning.

Call my TA she is on vacation but another associate helped me, she said she would call Delta and the cruiseline never heard back so I drove down to the TA office, another lady helped me pulled my file from the other associate this is what the cruiseline had put is on.

Jan 21 Fort Lauderdale to Cinncinati (first class)

Cinncinati to Salt Lake (first class)

I told the agent these flights would not do as we had paid for first class and we wanted first class all the way. So after an hour on the phone with the cruiseline we got it finally sorted out. The agent could not believe these flight and wondered why they did not route us thru Atlanta. So now we have our new flights.

Jan 12 Salt Lake City to Atlanta (first class) leaving at 7:00 am

Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale (first class)

Jan 21 Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta (first class) leaving at 4:40 pm at least we can still do the tour of the Everglades thru the cruiseline

Atlanta to Salt Lake City (first class) we now arrive home at 11:00 pm instead of 8:00 pm.

The ta that help me ask me how I knew about the change I told her I checked Delta's website I sure glad I did she told me thanks the ta had not been informed by the cruiseline or the airline of the change. I would suggest you check your flight times because Delta have done major changes I should of know something was going on as my ta notified me of a change in flight # and times for our trip to Las Vegas in October on Delta.

Christine

This happens with every airline at times, not just Delta. It is always wise to check your flights on a regular basis.

Thank you for this post I will do what the suggestions state, you have put my mind to ease about flying thru Atlanta and lost luggage I'm also going to take a digital picture of my luggage with the straps on and take with me in my carry on luggage so in case they do get lost I have picture of what they look like it might not help but worth a try. We didn't pick Cinncinati as there is a good chance of snow or ice and we are already leaving Salt Lake City and most likely will be sitting on our plane while they de-ice the wings.

Christine

I fly through ATL on a pretty regular basis and have for the past 20 years. I have never had bags show up more than about 6 hours late, and that happend when a connection got shortened due to a late arriving flight.

Thanks for the heads up about Delta. I'm flying from New York to Sacramento next month (not for a cruise... sigh), and changing planes in Atlanta. I'm just wondering if I should try to get everything for a one-week trip into a carry-on, considering that the probability of luggage misdirection in ATL is higher than most airports...

Archived