What to do for two days pre-cruise in Miami?

Hi Again!

We're not very familiar with the Miami area, though we have driven through during a trip to the Keys and the Ft. Meyers area. We will be coming in fairly late on the Saturday before our Voyager cruise (embarkation on Monday afternoon). So we have two nights and a full day+ to spend in the Miami area.

Currently, we have the two nights booked at the Ritz-Carlton on South Beach (since it's really the only beach we've heard much about in Miami). This is our "default" plan. I'm hoping DW will get shopping out of her system there :eek: so that we don't wast...., uhhh, spend much time doing that during our shore excursions.

We would sure appreciate suggestions from you folks as to places to see, things to do in and around South Beach. We would also be ammenable to staying elsewhere if there is a more interesting area of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. All suggestions are welcome :)

We are in our early 50's, so hitting the South Beach clubs at 3am is not exactly on our agenda ;) Nor is frying on the beach all day...

We will be going to the Everglades after the cruise before returning home.

So let the ideas fly!

Thanks,

Ragnar

We love the Ritz-Carlton South Beach. We are staying there after our transatlantic on the Voyager. Get an oceanfront room if you can. The beach is splendid and the beach service at the Ritz is really wonderful. You can get beach chairs with umrellas or under little tents. For more money there are cabanas. There is also an outdoor restaurant overlooking the beach that is great for lunch.

You will be very close to Lincoln Road which is one of the oldest planned pedestrian shopping streets in the US and to the South Beach Art Deco district. If you are interested in architecture, just walking around the neighborhood (especially to the south) is really fascinating.

If you like Italian food, Osteria del Teatro is fairly near the hotel and is a friendly, casual restaurant with wonderful food.

Thanks for the tips JDRMYS. Fortunately, we did reserve an "full ocean view" room, the same day we made the Voyager reservation a few weeks ago. I say fortunate because I looked again recently and the price for the same room category had gone up $300 per night! They must sell out fairly far in advance in the winter (we are staying in early Dec.).

I noted on the R-C website that they mention Seadoo rentals, etc. Have you tried the R-C sponsored activities, especially the Seadoos? If so, do they launch them right from the beach in front of the hotel? I'm a surfer here in California so would like to do a little bit of water sports while at South Beach (I don't suppose they rent longboards on the beach???)

We went for a quick get away at the RC South Beach this summer and loved every moment. Location is excellent.......just walk out the door, turn right and you're on Lincoln Road, etc...it's all an easy walk. Hotel service and rooms are wonderful. Don't miss Malcolm, the Tanning Butler!

• 2 weeks later...

Ha-ha, I think the other sunbathers would prefer I keep my shirt on :eek:

I've seen Joe's Stone Crab on the Travel channel. Is this a good place to eat, and to get the local "flavor", or is it just a tourist trap? I looked at their website, but they don't show any interior pics.

As we will only be having two dinners at South Beach, I want to make sure to pick places that are both good and have some of the local color, etc., i.e no Morton's, Ruths-Chris, etc. One dinner will need to be late on a Saturday night (~10pm) and the other, on Sunday, is flexible, time-wise.

Suggestions welcome!

Ragnar

When are you going on the Voyager? I am leaving on December 11th sailing of the Navigator, arriving on 12/9 in FLL from LAX. I am meeting a few people I have met here for dinner on 12/10 in Ft Lauderdale.

CHatKat, I am on Voyager on 12/11 and we are overnighting in FLL the night before. We would be interested in meeting for dinner if this is not a private group and everyone is open to the idea.

We are at Embassy Suites on the 17th Street Causeway that evening.

Joe's Stone Crab is wonderful! If I only had a few nights in South Florida, I'd definitely go there! Best time is either very early (5 pm ish) or very late. Otherwise you have a long wait. Your Saturday night 10 pm dinner might be perfect. The crowd consists of everybody....tourists, locals, stars in town, you name it. People watching at Joe's is fun! The stone crabs are of course sensational and don't forget the home fries ,their special cole slaw and key lime pie!

We were at Joes last night and as we were leaving the wait was only an hour at 7:30. Sundays are a bit slower and we locals seem to enjoy it better. You could also try Prime 112 for great steaks and chops, lots of locals and south beach style. If you are staying in FLL you might enjoy Cafe Martoramo, great italian food, very busy "in" spot and open late. Jonny V's on Las Olas Blvd is also another spot with locals as is Marks Place down the street. Enjoy south florida, we love living here.

Caviargirl (or anyone else sailing from FLL on 12/11) - please email me at krappaport at aol dot com so that I can add you to the list for dinner. We are going to Bimini Boatyard. There are about 10 -14 of us sailing on that day from FLL. Some are staying at the Sheraton Yankee Trader, or Hyatt Pier 66.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ragnar,

We are also sailing on December 4th and although we have cruised many times this is our first Regent Seven Seas cruise.

We live in South Florida and, if you like sightseeing, we recommend a visit to Viscaya, the Deering estate. It's a glimpse of old Florida, a beautiful old mansion and gardens on Biscayne bay. It's elegant and romantic and worth seeing...and one of our favorite "take out of town visitors" sites.

Looking forward to seeing you aboard.

Barbara & Mark

Archived