Juneau-- Excursion or bus to Mendenhall?

millacon

This will be our first Alaskan cruise (hubby's first cruise) and wanted a bit of advice. Our ship, HAL's NA , will be stopping at Juneau in early May from 1pm - 10pm and wanted to utilize our time the best. As of right now our main priority is to see Mendenhall Glacier. The ship offers an excursion to the glacier with a 3.5 hour total trip time (2 hours at Mendenhall) at a cost of $45 pp. However I am reading that they also have an option of a blue bus or white bus that is $30 pp but you have more flexibility with how long you spend at the glacier. And one of the buses (I believe the white bus) also has an option of a tram ticket as well. But I have read some negative reviews about the blue/white buses and wondered if it was just a random fluke (which happens).

For background, we don't want to do the cheap public bus because we want to spend time doing things not just getting there and I have read it can take almost an hour just to get to the glacier then a 1.5 mile hike to the visitor's center (correct me if I am wrong). We are both physically active (runners) so walking is not an issue for us.

What option would you choose? Will two hours at Mendenhall be enough? Excusion, blue, or white bus? Tram or no tram? Other things to see/do in Juneau that are a 'must see' based on our time there. Also, this is our 25th anniversary so we want it to be special and if we have to pay a bit more we can but we also don't need to waste money. :D Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with the busses you mentioned (strange, cuz I've been there 10 times :) . If you want to go to Mendenhall cheaply, get a taxi and either arrange a pickup time or get their business card to call for pickup. Will be much cheaper and then you have more flexibility. Zest4travel has a post on Juneau here:

https://zest4travel.wordpress.com/2017/01/29/my-favorite-things-to-do-in-juneau-alaska/

There is also a packing list available.

Friends have gone on the tram....expensive but they loved the views from the top.

I always rent a car in Juneau from Juneau Car Rental ~$65 for the day. If you dock at AJ, you are a short walk from their lot. Most ships dock closer to town, and that's about a 20-30 minute walk to get there. Their cars are older ones, but in good working condition.

With a car, you have more options and flexibility. Google things to do in Juneau and review these boards - there's plenty of typical and off the beaten track things to do if you have a car: world's smallest Costco, Alaskan Brewery, Treadwell Mine, hatchery, multiple hiking trails, Shrine of St. Therese, Eagle Beach...

You can easily walk to the tram from your ship if you are docked in town, so there's no need for a tour. If you can see the viewing decks when you dock, then the weather is good and you'll have spectacular views from the top. There are some enjoyable, rather short hiking trails up there, too.

Of those 2 options, i'd choose one of the shuttle buses; cheaper plus it gives you some flexibility with your time. As for negative reviews, it's only a 20 minute bus ride. How bad can it be !

Check the schedule with both vendors since you're travelling so early in the season.

Don't bother buying the tram ticket with the tickets to Mendenhall. You can buy the tram directly at the tram, if you decide to go up. If the weather is not desirable, you don't have to buy it.

I have done the shuttle busses and they are fine. School busses, so not as nice as a Coach buss.

I have taken the bus that includes the tram. You buy the tickets not far from where you get off the ship. Do both at your leisure since the ship is in port for quite awhile. Loved seeing the glacier up so close. And the scenery at the top of the tram is great. They have a little restaurant, an informational movie, gift shop and a great view to watch the bald eagles.

We have done the bus. Tickets were sold at little kiosks a short distance from the ship. They were fine for the trip. BUT the last bus back to the ship was at 5pm, and by 4:30 there were lots of people lining up. When the driver arrived, he did call in for another bus to take the overflow, so we were not stranded there. However, my point is to be aware of last bus time, whatever it might be on your day. Perhaps their website has that information.

The tram parking lot is the "hub" where the shuttle buses and tram are located. Simply look up for where it is. :)

Do not buy any tram tickets in advance. Simply to just walk up and purchase. You want to be able to see the top. Don't bother going up with fogged in viewing. It is an all day pass, so, if there late, go up again before getting back on the ship for a dusk view. :)

For those who want to maximize their time, a car rental is most efficient, but know a route and what you want to get to and see. :)

After reading tons of posts here, DH and I are also doing the car rental choice next month. (WHEEEEE!!!!!) I use a scooter, and neither shuttle is accessible, but it sounds like that won't be an issue for you. But with limited Juneau time I didn't want to take the chance of just missing a shuttle and having to wait 30 minutes for the next one anyway. Plus, if we wind up with extra time, with a car we can decide to see something else on the spur of the moment.