Ooops on Havana swing chair - Vista

bjd2

We've been back for a week now from a fantastic cruise on the Vista. We enjoyed the Havana area greatly, but need to pass on a word of warning in case anyone else travels with a "child at heart".!!!!!

We hadn't even sailed away from Miami yet (in the turn around basin), when my husband ran in from outside yelling for help. I was unpacking so got rid of the items I was holding and went into the bathroom. The entire counter and sink were covered in blood! It was running down his forehead.

I immediately called poor Adi, our wonderful room steward, who we had just met a short time earlier. He came right away. His look of concern was very genuine as he let me know he'd need to call his supervisor right away.

Marcia came and immediately called security and infirmary. The Dr was not in but we were assured someone would see us.

Penny was the Nurse Practitioner. She was so wonderful. She put stitches in and instructed him not to use the pools. Kind of a bummer on the first day of vacation, but he doesn't usually go under the water anyway. We still had a very good time. She removed the stitches on our last sea day (8 night cruise).

He had been twisting it up, you know, like when we were kids and it would spin itself out fast. It had apparently worked great one time earlier that he hadn't told me about. This time, the bolt un-threaded itself from the ceiling and the whole works came down. Lucky it didn't shift forward slightly or it would have been his nose sliced off!

He thinks they should have a swivel at the top so that the most you can do is turn yourself like in a barber's chair, not actually unscrew from the top.

Every person who knew about this onboard said that it should be a free cruise, but he won't ask for anything. We were treated very well and of course not charged for the medical treatment. We have pictures and copies of the security report and medical notes.

Yikes, just wanted to share our story. This was our 9th cruise and definitely the most memorable sail away ever!

Edited by bjd2
typo

Glad he was s OK and no serious injury. I have a hubby like that and it would be tough to keep him from doing something that silly too! . I am sure eventually, because of legal and safety issues that could arise because of improper use of these swings that might lead to them being removed one day... probably played a part in the change from a full hammock to a swing...

Thanks, I hope they don't take them away, it would be easy to put a swivel at the top. We're booked in another on the Horizon and I'll bet he won't be twisting himself up in it!

I suspect the swings will eventually be removed due to episodes such as this.

12 year olds can be booked in these rooms. Is it really a good design for them to unwind from the ceiling? Not saying he was a genius or anything, but he is kind a smart guy and wouldn't have done it knowing he was going to be injured.

I suspect the swings will eventually be removed due to episodes such as this.

I think this is a bit of an overreaction. Kids, both young and old, will be kids. Live and learn.

Yes, it could have been worse, but a few stitches and he was fine.

And he learned his lesson......

Yes, sadly I'm sure the lawyers will have them removed soon... I'm sure your husband was not the first to do this... in today's world the keyword is "Risk mitigation" ... they won't risk a lawsuit

Edited by poz222
Added

Firstly I'm glad your hubby/child is ok. Being a hubby/child myself I can so relate!

The thing most striking to me is the fantastic attitude you both have over the incident. So many folks today would be suing or asking for the moon. You both chose to own it and have a great vacation regardless. Bravo!

I hope to someday sail with you both and the 1st drinks on me..I meet ya at the swings! 😎

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Firstly I'm glad your hubby/child is ok. Being a hubby/child myself I can so relate!

The thing most striking to me is the fantastic attitude you both have over the incident. So many folks today would be suing or asking for the moon. You both chose to own it and have a great vacation regardless. Bravo!

I hope to someday sail with you both and the 1st drinks on me..I meet ya at the swings! 😎

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much! We love to cruise and have to own our (his) part in the mishap. We just can't say enough for the professional and caring treatment we received. When Security walked back to our cabin with us from the infirmary, we asked him to take a picture with us and the pirate in the atrium. He did, it was awesome, I will find and post it. :')