Japan: souvenir shops at dock?

meow!

We will be calling at the following Japanese ports next month:

Kushiro

Otaru

Hakodate

Aomori

Are there souvenir shops etc. right where the ship will dock? Are taxis readily available shipside? Do taxi drivers speak some English? Will those ports be "Alaska like" in arrangement/transportation?

Thank you so much.

I haven't been to these ports but have been to Kagoshima on the Diamond and caught a taxi back to the ship. The driver did not speak any English but he was the sweetest man pointing out things along the way.

Princess gave all of us a piece of paper with the English and Japanese translations for landmarks around Kagoshima to use in taxis. The last line was instructions to take us back to the port to the Diamond Princess. So easy to use just point on the sheet to where you want to go and say please and thank you in Japanese.

After our one day in Japan we went back to have a week in Tokyo. We really loved our time in Japan and found the people so friendly and would go out of their way to help. You will love this country it is so unique.:)

Karryl

I haven't been to these ports but have been to Kagoshima on the Diamond and caught a taxi back to the ship. The driver did not speak any English but he was the sweetest man pointing out things along the way.

Princess gave all of us a piece of paper with the English and Japanese translations for landmarks around Kagoshima to use in taxis. The last line was instructions to take us back to the port to the Diamond Princess. So easy to use just point on the sheet to where you want to go and say please and thank you in Japanese.

After our one day in Japan we went back to have a week in Tokyo. We really loved our time in Japan and found the people so friendly and would go out of their way to help. You will love this country it is so unique.:)

Karryl

Thank you for your helpful information.

meow! I don't know what "Alaska like" means so I cannot answer that question.

If you dock in the same area that we did, I can answer the questions on Otaru, and Aomori.

Aomori has the visitor centre within easy walking distance of where the ship docks. There are shops, areas to eat, and also an area where a small performance can be offered. We also had an area right on the dock where items could be bought, and tourist information was provided. If you are able to walk ten blocks, you can walk to different areas in Aomori where there are parks, shops, shrines, etc.

In Otaru, we were provided a shuttle by the ship to the area where there are shops, restaurants, etc. However, within easy walking distance (less than ten blocks) of the ship was the Canal area, as well as the shops. The Canal area is also wonderful, and you could walk there and take a boat ride down the canal.

Taxi drivers, in my experience, did not speak English, but will happily take you to places if you point to them on a map provided by the people at the tourist information areas. I downloaded an App that allowed for translation from English to Japanese (offline) on my phone. On Crystal, we were always provided port information that was written in Japanese. Getting back to the port, if you have that information, would not be a problem.

We loved Japan, and the people we met were all very gracious, and went out of their way to ensure we had a positive experience while we were there.

At some of the ports we docked in, yes, there was souvenirs right at the ship. It was a temporary set up where you could find fridge magnets, fans, saki, etc. Did not happen at all ports though and we found the smaller ports to be more accommodating than the larger ones.

• 4 weeks later...

On our Japan cruise last year there were souvenir stalls set up close to the ship in the ports you will visit. Always a very good tourist info stall with English speaking guides. Often a shuttle bus to the town centre too. Some stalls were selling fruit and I would recommend you buy some. Aomori is famous for apples, they taste like apples, not the watery mass produced ones from a supermarket and they are huge! We shared one between two of us. Peaches were yummy too.

Every port is a delight. Try to be on deck. Or your balcony, if at the right side, to see arrival and departure as there are often welcome and farewell displays laid on. They are better than some of the ships shows!

Enjoy your holiday, Japan is a fabulous destination.