Orlando

buckeye12

We are staying two maybe three nights precruise in Orlando. What's my best option for transportation as of right now there is just three of us going with a possible two more being added. If I opt to get a rental car what's the driving like down there I'm not use to driving in big towns (scares the heck out of me) the others going with us are too young or not able to drive :(. We will be staying close close to sea world and then leaving for our cruise in port canaveral. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like any metro area there are lots of big roads with heavy traffic at rush hours.

Driving to Port Canaveral takes about an hour with average traffic.

There is also a ton of road construction going on in/around Orlando at the moment....which will continue for the next few years.

Having said all of that, the highways are well marked, not hard to navigate. If you have a smartphone, learn to use Siri (or android equal) to navigate turn by turn to wherever you want to go.

One way to look at this is to split your trip into 3 sections:

1 - Orlando

2 - Transfer to the Port

3 - Transfer from the Port

Do you need a car in Orlando? Not really. But it depends on costs because Uber/Lyft are very available and convenient especially after July this year. Will your hotel offer any transport (to the parks for example)? How much will it cost to park at your hotel? Then add the costs for parking at the parks. And so on.

With 3 or more it becomes cost-effective to rent a car for the hour-long drive to the Port. It is a very easy drive so no worries. Then drop the car near the Port and cruise!

After the cruise, rent a car only if your flight is after say 2pm. Then you have a place to store your luggage while you sightsee a bit. If your flight is earlier then take a shuttle - either shared or private or UberXL, etc.

Make sure your car is set up for the toll road system. I think most all are. Don't try to avoid the toll roads...just a pain in the hindquarters. It will likely only add $10 or so to your bill. It is just easier that way. We just did this in March.

If your focus is on one of the theme parks then you can live without the car - just choose a hotel close to the park (or on WDW property).

Driving to the port is easy -- 99% highways.

Post cruise, unless your flight is after about 2:00 a car is not worth the hassle (pick-up, gas, drop off) - just choose one of the inexpensive shuttle options.