Schengen Visa on a Repositioning Cruise thru Canary Islands

nocruiseforcajun

Hello,

Am looking for advice. We are US citizens who have been living in Europe over the summer. We're taking a repositioning cruise out of Barcelona back to the US. We will be getting on the ship in Barcelona on the 90th day of our Schengen Visa. The ship then stops at three Spanish ports, including the Canary Islands, on the way to the US. Will we be permitted to get off the ship since we're technically past our 90-day stay? Do you think we run risk of being fined for an overstay if we get off? It would be such a shame to have to remain on the ship while docked in the Canaries.

Thanks in advance for your help!

We have done two cruises, never leaving the European Union or Schengen area, so we have never been asked any kind of ID at any port.

I don't know it for sure, and I would ask your cruise line, but I doubt anyone will stop you at a Spanish port if you come from another Spanish city.

My situation was different, as I didn't need a visa of any kind on my recent cruise. (I'm an American living in the U.S.) I didn't hear of any special conditions when we visited Lanzarote and La Palma last month. Both Arrecife and Santa Cruz seemed like just other ports as far as I could tell - just walk off the ship and you're fine. There was nothing in the daily ship's newspaper about special requirements there.

We cruised from Lisbon to Cadiz, Spain and Gibraltar, down to the Canary Islands and Madeira, and back up to several ports in Spain, ending in Barcelona. Hopefully you will be going to Lanzarote (Arrecife) as it was one of the highlights for me. Arrecife isn't anything special, and in fact was a disappointment to those who went there and nowhere else, but Timanfaya Park was awesome. Try to get out into the countryside to see the park, the Cesar Manrique artistry, or something other than Arrecife. La Palma was also very nice. We rented a car in both places (from CICar - excellent) and explored. Loved it.

If you'll be stopping in the Azores or Madeira, check out tomsportguides.com for info on what to do in those ports. We loved Funchal, Madeira.

Edited by roothy123

My situation was different, as I didn't need a visa of any kind on my recent cruise. (I'm an American living in the U.S.) I didn't hear of any special conditions when we visited Lanzarote and La Palma last month. Both Arrecife and Santa Cruz seemed like just other ports as far as I could tell - just walk off the ship and you're fine. There was nothing in the daily ship's newspaper about special requirements there.

We cruised from Lisbon to Cadiz, Spain and Gibraltar, down to the Canary Islands and Madeira, and back up to several ports in Spain, ending in Barcelona. Hopefully you will be going to Lanzarote (Arrecife) as it was one of the highlights for me. Arrecife isn't anything special, and in fact was a disappointment to those who went there and nowhere else, but Timanfaya Park was awesome. Try to get out into the countryside to see the park, the Cesar Manrique artistry, or something other than Arrecife. La Palma was also very nice. We rented a car in both places (from CICar - excellent) and explored. Loved it.

If you'll be stopping in the Azores or Madeira, check out tomsportguides.com for info on what to do in those ports. We loved Funchal, Madeira.

You may not need a Visa, but you can't stay in the schengen area forever. It several months in the US for Europeans. If you want to visit for more time than that you do need paperwork done.

NoCruisefor Cajun -

I think you had better be careful... while US nationals are entitled to spend 90 days in the Schengen area two times a year your passports will have been stamped on entry and will be stamped again at the last port of call in Schengen - which looks to me as though it will be the Canaries. And you will be over your 90 day limit which has, to some people I know here in Switzerland (we are also in Schengen) caused problems for any re-entry into Schengen in the future because everything is "in the computer".

In your place I would go to the Clearance Officer on board (ask at Reception) and tell him or her your situation and see what s/he suggests. It may be that s/he can get you stamped out of Schengen when you leave Barcelona, and in again (so on another 90 basis) at the next port... but if that is in Spain and in Schengen it could be a problem. If Gibraltar then no worries - it is not Schengen.

Someone brought up the question of European nationals in the US - we are allowed exactly the same time - 90 days in two separate "events" a year. But the difference is that the US doesn't seem to stamp passports when leaving though I understand they do enter the details into a computer...and again I know people here who have had problems with that.

• 2 years later...
Hello,

Am looking for advice. We are US citizens who have been living in Europe over the summer. We're taking a repositioning cruise out of Barcelona back to the US. We will be getting on the ship in Barcelona on the 90th day of our Schengen Visa. The ship then stops at three Spanish ports, including the Canary Islands, on the way to the US. Will we be permitted to get off the ship since we're technically past our 90-day stay? Do you think we run risk of being fined for an overstay if we get off? It would be such a shame to have to remain on the ship while docked in the Canaries.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi - wondering what happened in your circumstance? we are similar in that we will be taking a cruise from Athens to Abu Dhabi and boarding will likely be on our 90th day ... when do we get the stamp for exiting EU? Will it be in Athens as of that day or in Crete on our stopover there or will they consider us as "exiting" the EU when we arrive in our next country (Jordan).

Appreciate any update on your experience

NoCruisefor Cajun -

In your place I would go to the Clearance Officer on board (ask at Reception) and tell him or her your situation and see what s/he suggests. It may be that s/he can get you stamped out of Schengen when you leave Barcelona, and in again (so on another 90 basis) at the next port... but if that is in Spain and in Schengen it could be a problem. If Gibraltar then no worries - it is not Schengen.

That won't work I'm afraid. in order to get a further 90 day Schengen stay, you need to have been OUT of Schengen for 90 days before returning.

I have no personal experience of what happens to overstayers, but there is a wealth of information on this in the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Western Europe branch. You might find it useful.

Worst case scenario you will be fined and refused entry to any Schengen member state for several years.

I would contact your embassy to get a definitive answer.:)

That won't work I'm afraid. in order to get a further 90 day Schengen stay, you need to have been OUT of Schengen for 90 days before returning.

I have no personal experience of what happens to overstayers, but there is a wealth of information on this in the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Western Europe branch. You might find it useful.

Worst case scenario you will be fined and refused entry to any Schengen member state for several years.

I would contact your embassy to get a definitive answer.:)

I know you were responding to the other post but you do not need to have been out for 90 days it is 90 days in ANY 180 day period so on any given day you need to count back 180 and see if you have more than 180.

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/border-crossing/docs/short_stay_schengen_calculator_user_manual_en.pdf

Its ridiculously complicated when you use their official calculator :confused: