QM2 Evening Shows/ Activities / Fine Art / G32 / Nightclub/ Daily Planetarium Films

Hi Mr. Shanks.

Thanks again for participating in this forum. Your time is greatly appreciated.

I'd like to suggest/request that the evening shows and planetarium films be changed more frequently. I've done many transatlantic crossings on QM2 and am getting quite tired of "Apassionata", "Rock at the Opera", "Tribute to Sting", etc. It seems to be the same line-up every single crossing.

Also - surely there must be some new planetarium films available, other than those that have been repeated over and over since inception.

I understand that these are likely expensive outlays for the company, but for the repeat customer, they are becoming boring. Thanks for the consideration.

B

Hi Peter,

As an avid Cunard fan, I can truly say that there is only one thing that consistently disappoints me on a Cunard cruise - QM2's G32.

G32 is supposed to be a nightclub. This means that there should be a DJ playing the latest songs and using techniques like [URL="http://www.ehow.com/how_2216960_cue-song-as-dj.html"]cueing[/URL] the music so that there is no break between tracks. Additionally, the music should be loud - because it's a nightclub, not a library.

Unfortunately, Cunard's DJs do not play the latest music (they play hits from the sixties - upon special request I did once get something circa 1990) and they do not cue the tracks. What they do play, they don't play loud as they are "not allowed" to turn the music up (so it was explained to me).

Compounding the problem is Vibes (the cover band) that plays in G32. Why there is a cover band playing in what is supposed to be nightclub is beyond me. They are not popular - as attested by the nights where there have been less than 10 people in G32 and less than half that on the dance floor. We've all been in G32 and witnessed the tumbleweeds rolling across the dance floor - the current situation in there doesn't work.

The only times I have seen G32 packed (including the dance floor) is on ABBA night. Evidence that if the DJ plays music that people want to hear (and dance to) they will use G32.

Why are the DJs in G32 playing hits from the 60s? It's now 2013, those songs were popular 50 years ago. Whenever I have asked for a song that is under a year old the DJ invariably doesn't have it. On my last voyage I had to go back to the 90's before he was able to fulfil a request.

I would have thought Cunard would have been interested in attracting a younger demographic - future loyal cruisers for years to come?

In summary:

[LIST=1]
[*]Why don't the DJs play the latest music (songs from the last couple of years).
[*]Why don't the DJs cue the next track (like all professional DJs should)?
[*]Why have the DJs been instructed that they can't turn the music up?
[*]Why is there a live cover band playing in what is supposed to be a nightclub? Cover bands are for playing by the pool etc.
[*]Why do the live cover band and the DJ have to share the same evenings? Couldn't you have nights devoted to either, so that people who don't like one or the other know which nights to attend G32.
[*]Why has Cunard totally given up on providing evening entertainment for people in their twenties & thirties? We do not want to hear Beatles tracks or the Rolling Stones.
[/LIST]

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the matter, thanks.

One of the strangest marketing decisions I've ever seen is putting the Art Gallery on the QE/QV Queens Room Deck 3 balcony, rather than some sort of lounge, perhaps a Chart Room. Every day, I see hundreds people stop and look at the QR, while a dozen people in the art gallery over an entire cruise would be a lot. It seems to me Cunard is missing well over $1,000 in sales every day as a result.

Some good questions on Entertainment - thank you. Firstly - we are looking to invest in some new shows for The Planetarium on Queem Mary 2. We have a rolling investment in our Production Shows in the main theatre - so you will be seeing some developments there soon. Appassionata was mentioned - well although it is in it's 9th year - it is the most popular show across the fleet - so we will keep updating the show but it is a real favourite. In London and on Broadway - it's the old shows that remain the hit shows. Interesting question on the music in G32 - That was news to me and I will discuss with the team - we do want to make sure we have the right mix. When I travel I have to own up to say I do not stay up late enough to see G32 in real swing - so next time I will. Lastly on Fine Art - we stopped the 'Art Auction' approach across the fleet last year - we felt it had it's day and was not getting the interest from our guests. We feel that our 'Clarendon' are retail approach is better in selling the sort of art we would really like to see at home - and we will cointinue to develop that theme. To those of you who like Rolf Harris - then it's a good place to purchase that and he is one of our best sellers. Thank you. Peter

[quote name='Peter Shanks']Some good questions on Entertainment - thank you. Firstly - we are looking to invest in some new shows for The Planetarium on Queem Mary 2. We have a rolling investment in our Production Shows in the main theatre - so you will be seeing some developments there soon. Appassionata was mentioned - well although it is in it's 9th year - it is the most popular show across the fleet - so we will keep updating the show but it is a real favourite. In London and on Broadway - it's the old shows that remain the hit shows. Interesting question on the music in G32 - That was news to me and I will discuss with the team - we do want to make sure we have the right mix. When I travel I have to own up to say I do not stay up late enough to see [COLOR=red]G32 in real swing[/COLOR] - so next time I will. Lastly on Fine Art - we stopped the 'Art Auction' approach across the fleet last year - we felt it had it's day and was not getting the interest from our guests. We feel that our 'Clarendon' are retail approach is better in selling the sort of art we would really like to see at home - and we will cointinue to develop that theme. To those of you who like Rolf Harris - then it's a good place to purchase that and he is one of our best sellers. Thank you. Peter[/quote]

Those words don't often appear in the same sentence. Vibz aren't a bad band but why are they on QM2 when she is doing Transatlantics? When they first come on board they are fresh and good but soon lapse back into their "Red Red Wine" mode and then they empty the floor. The DJ's are mostly second rate, some won't even take requests and as soon as they fill the floor they play some rubbish and everyone either sits down or more often leave. This sounds harsh but I believe that I've spent enough time in G32 to be able to speak with a degree of authority.

The evenings on QM2 can be trying for solo travelers who have tablemates who keep to themselves. If you have a "fun" group at your table it makes all the difference; meaning up for joining everyone for dancing, or at least the theatre.

If you are traveling solo, and the roll of the dice gives you the former kind, you can find yourself wandering around in the evenings like a lost soul, because most people are involved with their own groups.

It would be nice if there were a way to create a more welcoming atmosphere for solos in the evenings. I know there are gentleman hosts, but just sitting there by one’s self is daunting and one can feel a bit pathetic, and just give up and go back to one’s stateroom and sleep.

Perhaps there could be some kind of activities in the evenings that are inclusive of people on their own.

• 2 weeks later...
On QE in November, a bunch of us were begging the DJ to play something more modern than 70s. In the last half hour before shutting the club down (and when we were basically the only ones in the club) he would play a few 80s songs. Seemed like he was playing to the generally older crowd on board the ship..... very little of whom were actually in the club.

Archived