Amtrac

mrsihopes

We are thinking of taking an Amtrak to San Francisco for our cruise on the Grand. The train goes into Emeryville then an Amtrak bus to Pier 39, fishermans wharf. Has anyone done this before and if so how did it turn out for them. We are coming in the day before and it states the bus will arrive around 4:30 at fishermans wharf. Any information would be helpful.

We are thinking of taking an Amtrak to San Francisco for our cruise on the Grand. The train goes into Emeryville then an Amtrak bus to Pier 39, fishermans wharf. Has anyone done this before and if so how did it turn out for them. We are coming in the day before and it states the bus will arrive around 4:30 at fishermans wharf. Any information would be helpful.

We have taken Amtrak from Sacramento to Pier 39 several times for cruises. It has always worked well. Sometimes the bus driver will let you off at Pier 35. Only issue was last November when we disembarked from the Star. We got an email from Amtrak that the bus wasn't going to Pier 39 and that we would have to catch the bus at the Ferry Building. Nice walk dragging our suitcases after the cruise.

I would still recommend Amtrak, but the parking garage is a nice option, too.

Awesome info, I just looked these schedules up last week and was wondering the same thing! One other question, was it difficult to deal with luggage, or did you take less bags than usual? I know the Amtrak website says no baggage check, which I realize means you have to load your own bags onto the train, but was there any issue with space? My daughter and I have taken Amtrak from Hanford to Sacramento, but only with one bag each. About how long a walk is it from Pier 39? It looks really close but that might seem further with luggage. Trying to weigh the convenience of not having to drive and park with the inconvenience of perhaps having to pack lighter than I would normally like too :eek: or dragging multiple suitcases along a busy sidewalk.

I do this all the time. Sometimes the driver will stop near Pier 27 to catch a cruise. This was the case last June when everyone on the bus was going on the Sea Princess to Alaska, this was leaving from Pier 27. I've never heard of the thruway bus not going to Pier 39, and I've been taking that bus whenever I go into The City for lunch or shopping, and that's been for years.

If you take Amtrak think about leaving a day before your cruise. My wife and I ride Amtrak often. Many of our trips have been hit with delays. Our last two trips we were nine and six hours late getting to our destination. These delays were not the fault of Amtrak but happened none the less.

Ozbuk, just curious, how long should your trips have been...without the delays? We plan to take Amtrak and connect with BART to SFO. the Amtrak portion is a 3 hour trip. We are allowing for a few hours delay but certainly not a nine hour delay with a 3 hour trip.

We left from L.A. on both occasions. The trip to Oakland was supposed to be 11 hours. The next trip to Seattle is supposed to be about 34 hours both times we were 9 hours late upon arrival. Chances are that you will have no problems. But you could. When we fly we still plan on arriving at least a day early.

Thanks, ozbuc. The bus portion between LA and Bakersfield can cause problems especially when they close the Grapevine or there is some other big tie up. Fortunately for us, the trip is train all the way. We may just rent a car if I can find a good o e way rate.

Both times we were on the Coast Starlight so it was train all the way for us as well. First delay was when a cabbage truck turned in front of the train near Salinas. Second was just a month ago when a U.P. freight broke down in front of us.

Archived